Reverse spam?

Contributor

Reverse spam?

[ Edited ]

I got a message from AT&T today that we went over our 200 texts for the month.  I checked our account online and I found that over 100 texts were supposedly sent by my wifes phone in the span of four minutes, all to the same # {personal content removed for safety}.  Looking back, I see the same thing happened this morning, and again a few days ago.  I tried calling the number and it says it's "not a valid pager number".  

Anyone know why this might be happening?  I called AT&T and they were willing to give me a one-time credit of $25 for the problem, but that doesn't really help if it keeps happening.  They also offered that I coud pay an additional $5 a month to add the ability to block texts to specific numbers, but that doesn't seem fair to me.

Message 1 of 5 (202 Views)
Employee

Re: Reverse spam?

Hmmmm that is interesting. it is possible that your wife number is active on some one else's account. This is a one in a million chance. Even if that was possible i don't think that should affect your wifes line. let me do some research and see what i can dig up.

“I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.”
For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 5 (183 Views)
Employee

Did your wife send any text messages durring this time frame? Was she in a low service area when this happend? Have you tried to text the number to see if you get any response? The number that it shows she texted is it a full 10 digit number?

“I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.”

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 5 (180 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for looking into it.  It turns out that my son was playing some game that gives "points" if you ask others to play (by sending them an SMS) so he was clicking the "SMS" button over and over to get the points...  Ugh.

Message 4 of 5 (174 Views)
Employee

HaHaHa got to love kids. Glad you were able to find out were the issue was coming from.

Employee Contributor*
Message 5 of 5 (172 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.