Return smartphone for regular phone?

Contributor

Return smartphone for regular phone?

Hi I just got a refurbished blackberry curve because my 2 years was up and just got a txt message from att saying that now I have to pay for a smartphone plan too. However, nowhere was this stated on the att website when I was ordering the phone. I already have unlimited data and now I am charged more for service without notice just because the product is more capable? Sounds shady. Anayway, I was wondering if anyone knew if there would be any way to return this expensive brick and get a regular phone that does not cost me $15 a month for no legitimate reason.

Message 1 of 2 (642 Views)
Expert

Re: Return smartphone for regular phone?

mrgn_mtt wrote:

Hi I just got a refurbished blackberry curve because my 2 years was up and just got a txt message from att saying that now I have to pay for a smartphone plan too. However, nowhere was this stated on the att website when I was ordering the phone. I already have unlimited data and now I am charged more for service without notice just because the product is more capable? Sounds shady. Anayway, I was wondering if anyone knew if there would be any way to return this expensive brick and get a regular phone that does not cost me $15 a month for no legitimate reason.

All smartphones require a smartphone datat plan that is different then the QMD style data plan, it is documented on the web page - at least the retail one there is a box underneath the phone picture. If you want to kepe the phone you can canel the QMD data plan and just keep the smartphone. As far as returning it - sure if you are within the first 30 days you can return it and get another phone with no problem, after the first 30 days you are locked into the contract. Look at the bottom of the graphic - this was from the retail ATT site, as you can see it does say data plan required

Message 2 of 2 (638 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.