Retrieve lost password via Email

Contributor

Retrieve lost password via Email

Greetings,

I'm outside USA and I need to reactivate my Prepaid plan in advance for my return, but, because it's my first time using the Gophone website, the system sent me a SMS with 4 digit passw to my gophone.

I'm unable to login because my mobile is obviously out of coverage.

Is there a way to receive my password via email?

Or

Its possible to have my passw sent to a friend's mobile inside USA?

ATT's support personnel could not help me because its a prepaid plan! 

Thanks in advance for your coop.
Henry,

Message 1 of 9 (2,426 Views)
Master

Re: Retrieve lost password via Email

No, I don't know of any easy way to accomplish this; you'll probably need to wait until you arrive to activate your account.  (You could mail your SIM to your friend in the US so that he could receive the SMS, but at&t doesn't e-mail passwords and they won't change the phone number where the password is being sent.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 2 of 9 (2,414 Views)
Contributor

I'm having a similar problem with retrieving my password for my GoPhone account. I can't get the SMS they sent to my phone because the phone is no longer working. And that is why I need to log in online...so I can get a new phone with the same number. My main concern is not forfeiting all of the money that I have in my account. I've tried calling three different customer service numbers, but it's either automated or someone telling me that I need to call a different number. The main number I'm supposed to call doesn't have an actual person I can talk to. I've tried several different options to try and get to where I can talk to an actual person, but it gets me nowhere. I'm going around in circles here. Again, I have a GoPhone account. It looks like this is my last call for help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, if any. Thanks.

Message 3 of 9 (2,399 Views)

Wesley12 wrote:

I'm having a similar problem with retrieving my password for my GoPhone account. I can't get the SMS they sent to my phone because the phone is no longer working. And that is why I need to log in online.So I can get a new phone with the same number. My main concern is not forfeiting all of the money that I have in my account. I've tried calling three different customer service numbers, but it's either automated or someone telling me that I need to call a different number. The main number I'm supposed to call doesn't have an actual person I can talk to. I've tried several different options to try and get to where I can talk to an actual person, but it gets me nowhere. I'm going around in circles here. Again, I have a GoPhone account. It looks like this is my last call for help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, if any. Thanks.

Maybe I misunderstand, but you do not need your old phone to work at all.  This new activation would be no different than if you had lost your old GoPhone.  Right?

GOTO:<https://www.wireless.att.com/GoPhoneWeb/goPhoneLanding.do?method=activatePayGo&lang=en_US>

And check the STOP banner.  It says:

Are you replacing your phone?
If you already have wireless service with AT&T and you have the SIM card from your previous phone, all you need to do is insert the SIM card into your new phone and you are all set. You do not need to activate your new handset.

If you are replacing your phone and do not have the SIM card from your previous phone, or you are replacing a Lost or Stolen phone, please read the 'Need a SIM Card?' directions on the right side of this page. 

Maybe I misunderstand your situation, but if not, this may solve your problem.  And you do not have to talk to any human via the IVR system.

By the way, the page above was invoked by selecting "Pay As You Go" in http://www.wireless.att.com/activations which is the home page for all AT&T SIM activations.

* Which best describes your activation type?
New customer or Add a lineHelp
Upgrade phoneHelp
Add a line and Upgrade a phone
GoPhone:
 Pay As You Go

Message 4 of 9 (2,391 Views)
Contributor

Thanks Shadow for your response. Yet, the problem is that I'm outside US and therefore out of ATT's coverage to receive any SMS... any suggestion?

Message 5 of 9 (2,379 Views)
Master

Wesley12 wrote:

I'm having a similar problem with retrieving my password for my GoPhone account. I can't get the SMS they sent to my phone because the phone is no longer working. And that is why I need to log in online...so I can get a new phone with the same number. My main concern is not forfeiting all of the money that I have in my account. I've tried calling three different customer service numbers, but it's either automated or someone telling me that I need to call a different number. The main number I'm supposed to call doesn't have an actual person I can talk to. I've tried several different options to try and get to where I can talk to an actual person, but it gets me nowhere. I'm going around in circles here. Again, I have a GoPhone account. It looks like this is my last call for help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, if any. Thanks.

If you still decide you need to visit with a live representative, you can reach one by stating "more options" at the first menu prompt of the IVR, then say "customer service" at each subsequent prompt - eventually the automated system will give up and connect you with a live prepaid customer service agent.

But as OnlytheShadowKnows has indicated, you don't really need to visit with customer service just to replace your phone - just order a new one from the website.  I personally have always chosen to obtain a new number so that I get a new SIM.  Instead of activating the new SIM, I immediately use my existing SIM in the phone and keep the new one on hand as a spare in case I need it in the future.  This has always worked flawlessly for me - I've done so at least three times over the last several years.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 6 of 9 (2,378 Views)

[ Edited ]

HArismendi wrote:

Thanks Shadow for your response. Yet, the problem is that I'm outside US and therefore out of ATT's coverage to receive any SMS... any suggestion?

Ahhh, yes, outside continental US, the original poster.

You probably are out of luck HArismendi.

As you know, the four-digit passcode sent via SMS binds login to SIM.  And that SMS text can only be received as long as there is AT&T prepaid coverage area.  I would guess that even rural areas within the continental US, which suffer wide gaps in prepaid coverage, would experience the same fate, and fail to activate.

But there might be a way...

Google Voice (if you are really "desperado"):

To deliver this precious text message you need a service, like Google Voice, that bridges cellular text onto Internet Mail and delivers to your foreign IP address.  At a minimum, you would need to:

1. get a "master" Google Voice (GV) number from Google,
  2. associate your existing GoPhone 10-digit number to this "master" GV number, and
  3. turn-on text-to-mail on this GoPhone-to-GV association

Just an idea.

It may work; it might not.  Never tried it.  You really (really, really) need to be desperate, and motivated, though.

Good luck.

Message 7 of 9 (2,372 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Wow, thanks for all the help! I knew there had to be a way. Very much appreciated : )
Message 8 of 9 (2,356 Views)

Wesley12 wrote:
Wow, thanks for all the help! I knew there had to be a way. Very much appreciated : )

Thanks Wesley12, glad we could help and keep you sane, away from the nasty IVR.  Your solution was straight-forward.

But HArismendi, the original poster, is up the creek without  a paddle.

I do not think that my idea of using Google Voice will help his case, as he will never be able to port a GoPhone number to Google Voice.  I must have been halucinating.

Message 9 of 9 (2,346 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.