Wireless Forums

Posted Oct 27, 2009
1:32:35 PM
View profile
Restore Needed?

I got this messages yesterday stating

Restore Needed:

iPhone cannot make ore receive calls. Restore using itunes. www.apple.com/support

However, when I try to connect to itunes it will not connect. It says I need to check sim card or unlock. I have takin out my sim card in put it back in and still ge the same message. I can only make emergency calls now. I have searched but cannot seem to find the answer. Some think it may be a bad sim card. Has anyone had this smae problem? Thanks.

I got this messages yesterday stating

Restore Needed:

iPhone cannot make ore receive calls. Restore using itunes. www.apple.com/support

However, when I try to connect to itunes it will not connect. It says I need to check sim card or unlock. I have takin out my sim card in put it back in and still ge the same message. I can only make emergency calls now. I have searched but cannot seem to find the answer. Some think it may be a bad sim card. Has anyone had this smae problem? Thanks.

Restore Needed?

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2009 1:36:40 PM
(0)
Master
trying a new SIM card cannot hurt.  I would also try to reset your network settings: Settings>General>resetReset Network Settings....If that is not an option or does not work, you may need to perform a restore within iTunes.  I would probably not choose to install the old backup so you do not bring an old problem forward.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
trying a new SIM card cannot hurt.  I would also try to reset your network settings: Settings>General>resetReset Network Settings....If that is not an option or does not work, you may need to perform a restore within iTunes.  I would probably not choose to install the old backup so you do not bring an old problem forward.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Restore Needed?

2 of 13 (1,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2009 1:42:49 PM
(0)
Can I use an old sim card from an older phone? How do you do a restore within itunes? Can I do this even though itunes will not reconize my phone? Thanks again.
Can I use an old sim card from an older phone? How do you do a restore within itunes? Can I do this even though itunes will not reconize my phone? Thanks again.

3 of 13 (1,583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2009 2:22:26 PM
(0)
Professor

Turn your iPhone OFF, wile holding down Home button connect USB cord to computer, keep holding Home button till you see screen like this:

Turn your iPhone OFF, wile holding down Home button connect USB cord to computer, keep holding Home button till you see screen like this:

4 of 13 (1,568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2009 2:54:14 PM
(0)

300K,

This did work and got it to show up in itunes, but now when I try and restore it says "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occured (2002). 

300K,

This did work and got it to show up in itunes, but now when I try and restore it says "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occured (2002). 

5 of 13 (1,542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2009 3:26:27 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by 300k on Oct 27, 2009 at 3:28:05 PM
Try different USB port... Also you can put your iPhone in DFU mode: Connect to iTunes=> Hold down both Home and Power buttons for 10 sec=> Release Power button and keep holding down Home button for additional 10 sec or more till iTunes will recognize your iPhone in Recovery mode => Click Restore. 
Message Edited by 300k on 10-27-2009 05:28:05 PM
Try different USB port... Also you can put your iPhone in DFU mode: Connect to iTunes=> Hold down both Home and Power buttons for 10 sec=> Release Power button and keep holding down Home button for additional 10 sec or more till iTunes will recognize your iPhone in Recovery mode => Click Restore. 
Message Edited by 300k on 10-27-2009 05:28:05 PM

[ Edited ]
6 of 13 (1,527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2009 3:45:10 PM
(0)
Professor
Did you Jailbreak your phone prior to this? You need to put it into DFU mode instead of restore mode. You should get a WHITE screen with NO LOGO if you are in DFU.
Did you Jailbreak your phone prior to this? You need to put it into DFU mode instead of restore mode. You should get a WHITE screen with NO LOGO if you are in DFU.

7 of 13 (1,520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2009 3:47:26 PM
(0)
Professor

Doppler808 wrote:
DFU mode is black screen, just like when phone is OFF...

Doppler808 wrote:
DFU mode is black screen, just like when phone is OFF...

8 of 13 (1,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2009 3:48:14 PM
(0)
Professor
As soon as you plug it in the screen should turn white. It's a change that should have happened with 3.0
As soon as you plug it in the screen should turn white. It's a change that should have happened with 3.0

9 of 13 (1,514 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2009 4:03:23 PM
(0)
Professor
DFU mode is done while iPhone is connected. It will only turn white for few seconds during restore. It is always been this way since 1.0
DFU mode is done while iPhone is connected. It will only turn white for few seconds during restore. It is always been this way since 1.0

10 of 13 (1,509 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2009 4:10:45 PM
(0)
Professor

300k wrote:
Right........  uhuh......  kinda slow there....

300k wrote:
Right........  uhuh......  kinda slow there....

11 of 13 (688 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2009 7:11:06 AM
(0)
Thanks for everyone's help. After trying everything reccommend and reasearching some more nothing worked. I took it to and Apple store last night and was told it was a hardware probelem. They replaced the phone on the spot. In and out in 15-20 mintues tops! The most painless experience I have ever had. Now, just need to find out if the warranty starts over from yesterday or not. I forgot to ask as I was happy just to have a working phone again.
Thanks for everyone's help. After trying everything reccommend and reasearching some more nothing worked. I took it to and Apple store last night and was told it was a hardware probelem. They replaced the phone on the spot. In and out in 15-20 mintues tops! The most painless experience I have ever had. Now, just need to find out if the warranty starts over from yesterday or not. I forgot to ask as I was happy just to have a working phone again.

12 of 13 (653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2009 7:20:02 AM
(0)
Professor

Glad to here... no, warranty isn't reset after replacement. 

Glad to here... no, warranty isn't reset after replacement. 

13 of 13 (650 Views)