Requirements to get an annually subsidized phone?

Contributor

Requirements to get an annually subsidized phone?

I'm on a family plan that has five phones. The default phone number on the plan is eligible for a subsidized phone every year, rather than every two years.

 

I'm curious what the requirements are for a family plan to get this benefit with the default phone number. Does the bill have to exceed a certain amount or what? Thanks!

Message 1 of 8 (1,911 Views)
Expert

Re: Requirements to get an annually subsidized phone?


kwjohns wrote:

I'm on a family plan that has five phones. The default phone number on the plan is eligible for a subsidized phone every year, rather than every two years.

 

I'm curious what the requirements are for a family plan to get this benefit with the default phone number. Does the bill have to exceed a certain amount or what? Thanks!



there is no 1 year subsidized phone the time periods are 20 - 24 months now. Do not recall any 1 year at ATT, verizon use to have that but they discontinued it, the loweest I rememebr is 18 months

Message 2 of 8 (1,889 Views)

Re: Requirements to get an annually subsidized phone?

I also have a family plan account. My primary line used to always get an upgrade every 12 months while my added lines were usually 20 months. After my last upgrade I noticed that my primary line was not eligible for another upgrade until 20 months. When I called AT&T customer care I was told that they no longer offer annual upgrades on the primary line of service. If you can find something to the contrary I would be very interested in reading it.

Message 3 of 8 (1,859 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Requirements to get an annually subsidized phone?

They used to have annual upgrades if the primary line spent a certain amount of money (since all shared plans were charged to the primary number). They discontinued that practice a year or so ago.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 8 (1,856 Views)
Expert

Re: Requirements to get an annually subsidized phone?

[ Edited ]

kdfederer wrote:
They used to have annual upgrades if the primary line spent a certain amount of money (since all shared plans were charged to the primary number). They discontinued that practice a year or so ago.


funny, been with the company for decades (except when it was cingular for a few years) and never was offered a 1 year upgrade period, phone bills are on the high end of 3 digits with all the options. A year or so ago my upgrade period was 18 months on the primary lines. Wonder if you had to top 1K a month to get a year upgrade

 

they did offer a special upgrade one time offer for the Iphone 3GS when they came out, if you spent more then 99.00 a month you could upgrade in a year, but that was only for the Iphone and iphone users

Message 5 of 8 (1,850 Views)
Contributor

Re: Requirements to get an annually subsidized phone?

Our bill wasn't anywhere near a grand or even half of that but this is pretty disappointing. I've gotten a new iPhone every year and been eligible for it.

 

Looking at the unsubsidized prices, it's $649 for the 16GB model. $200 when buying subsidized.

 

Why would I pay $649 when I can pay a $205 termination fee ($325 - ($10 x 12 months)) and then buy a new one subsidized at $200 spending a total of $405 compared to the unsubsidized and save $244?!

 

 

Message 6 of 8 (1,804 Views)
Expert

Re: Requirements to get an annually subsidized phone?

[ Edited ]

kwjohns wrote:

Our bill wasn't anywhere near a grand or even half of that but this is pretty disappointing. I've gotten a new iPhone every year and been eligible for it.

 

Looking at the unsubsidized prices, it's $649 for the 16GB model. $200 when buying subsidized.

 

Why would I pay $649 when I can pay a $205 termination fee ($325 - ($10 x 12 months)) and then buy a new one subsidized at $200 spending a total of $405 compared to the unsubsidized and save $244?!

 

 



Verizon new in 1 deal added 150 - 300 dollars  and in some cases doubled the subsidized cost of the phone, one way or the other the carriers will recoup a portion of the subsidy they pay to give you that 650.00 phone.

 

Your example can be turned around and used by the carrier also... they are not a not for profit business in the long run

Message 7 of 8 (1,793 Views)
Master

Re: Requirements to get an annually subsidized phone?

When you terminate your contract, you would not be eligible for a new subsidized phone from the same carrier for at least 6 months or so.
_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 8 of 8 (1,781 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.