Requirements to get an annually subsidized phone?

Contributor

Requirements to get an annually subsidized phone?

I'm on a family plan that has five phones. The default phone number on the plan is eligible for a subsidized phone every year, rather than every two years.

 

I'm curious what the requirements are for a family plan to get this benefit with the default phone number. Does the bill have to exceed a certain amount or what? Thanks!

1,912 Views
Message 1 of 8
Expert

Re: Requirements to get an annually subsidized phone?


kwjohns wrote:

I'm on a family plan that has five phones. The default phone number on the plan is eligible for a subsidized phone every year, rather than every two years.

 

I'm curious what the requirements are for a family plan to get this benefit with the default phone number. Does the bill have to exceed a certain amount or what? Thanks!



there is no 1 year subsidized phone the time periods are 20 - 24 months now. Do not recall any 1 year at ATT, verizon use to have that but they discontinued it, the loweest I rememebr is 18 months

Message 2 of 8

Re: Requirements to get an annually subsidized phone?

I also have a family plan account. My primary line used to always get an upgrade every 12 months while my added lines were usually 20 months. After my last upgrade I noticed that my primary line was not eligible for another upgrade until 20 months. When I called AT&T customer care I was told that they no longer offer annual upgrades on the primary line of service. If you can find something to the contrary I would be very interested in reading it.

Message 3 of 8
ACE - Expert

Re: Requirements to get an annually subsidized phone?

They used to have annual upgrades if the primary line spent a certain amount of money (since all shared plans were charged to the primary number). They discontinued that practice a year or so ago.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 8
Expert

Re: Requirements to get an annually subsidized phone?


kdfederer wrote:
They used to have annual upgrades if the primary line spent a certain amount of money (since all shared plans were charged to the primary number). They discontinued that practice a year or so ago.


funny, been with the company for decades (except when it was cingular for a few years) and never was offered a 1 year upgrade period, phone bills are on the high end of 3 digits with all the options. A year or so ago my upgrade period was 18 months on the primary lines. Wonder if you had to top 1K a month to get a year upgrade

 

they did offer a special upgrade one time offer for the Iphone 3GS when they came out, if you spent more then 99.00 a month you could upgrade in a year, but that was only for the Iphone and iphone users

Message 5 of 8
Contributor

Re: Requirements to get an annually subsidized phone?

Our bill wasn't anywhere near a grand or even half of that but this is pretty disappointing. I've gotten a new iPhone every year and been eligible for it.

 

Looking at the unsubsidized prices, it's $649 for the 16GB model. $200 when buying subsidized.

 

Why would I pay $649 when I can pay a $205 termination fee ($325 - ($10 x 12 months)) and then buy a new one subsidized at $200 spending a total of $405 compared to the unsubsidized and save $244?!

 

 

Message 6 of 8
Expert

Re: Requirements to get an annually subsidized phone?


kwjohns wrote:

Our bill wasn't anywhere near a grand or even half of that but this is pretty disappointing. I've gotten a new iPhone every year and been eligible for it.

 

Looking at the unsubsidized prices, it's $649 for the 16GB model. $200 when buying subsidized.

 

Why would I pay $649 when I can pay a $205 termination fee ($325 - ($10 x 12 months)) and then buy a new one subsidized at $200 spending a total of $405 compared to the unsubsidized and save $244?!

 

 



Verizon new in 1 deal added 150 - 300 dollars  and in some cases doubled the subsidized cost of the phone, one way or the other the carriers will recoup a portion of the subsidy they pay to give you that 650.00 phone.

 

Your example can be turned around and used by the carrier also... they are not a not for profit business in the long run

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Master

Re: Requirements to get an annually subsidized phone?

When you terminate your contract, you would not be eligible for a new subsidized phone from the same carrier for at least 6 months or so.
_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 8 of 8
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support