Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 18, 2007
11:36:44 AM
Removing the PTT icon
I had push to talk added to my Blackberry 8100 and Motorola V365.  After working with it, my family decided against it.  Now i cannot get the PTT icon off of the V365 and it still shows that it is registered.  The service for PTT has been turned off.  The Blackberry is not having this problem.  Cingular has told me that it is OFF but for some reason we cannot get the icon off.  There is no names or anything stored on the phone.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the icon removed and PTT diactivated on the v365.  Thanks.

SH
I had push to talk added to my Blackberry 8100 and Motorola V365.  After working with it, my family decided against it.  Now i cannot get the PTT icon off of the V365 and it still shows that it is registered.  The service for PTT has been turned off.  The Blackberry is not having this problem.  Cingular has told me that it is OFF but for some reason we cannot get the icon off.  There is no names or anything stored on the phone.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the icon removed and PTT diactivated on the v365.  Thanks.

SH

Removing the PTT icon

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2007 7:44:17 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have an HTC 8525 and activated PTT just to play around with it. Tried it out and it worked okay, but I wouldn't use it enough to justify the $9.99 per month pricetag. Since I unsubscribed from PTT, though, I still have the "blue circle" indicator at the top of the screen on the title bar, and I can't figure out how to remove it through any of options in WM5 or any of the installed apps. PTT is definitely disabled from a service perspective.

Thinking about combing through the registry to see if I can figure out if it's a key causing it to display, but I figured I'd ask first to see if anyone else had already figured it out.

Thanks,
Jason
I have an HTC 8525 and activated PTT just to play around with it. Tried it out and it worked okay, but I wouldn't use it enough to justify the $9.99 per month pricetag. Since I unsubscribed from PTT, though, I still have the "blue circle" indicator at the top of the screen on the title bar, and I can't figure out how to remove it through any of options in WM5 or any of the installed apps. PTT is definitely disabled from a service perspective.

Thinking about combing through the registry to see if I can figure out if it's a key causing it to display, but I figured I'd ask first to see if anyone else had already figured it out.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: Removing the PTT icon

2 of 13 (16,904 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2007 11:39:06 AM
(0)
Expert

jarnold wrote:
     Thanks..... Jason

Is it possible that you have the Pay Per Use PTT feature on your line still, if not did you find a solution to this yet?.

jarnold wrote:
     Thanks..... Jason

Is it possible that you have the Pay Per Use PTT feature on your line still, if not did you find a solution to this yet?.

3 of 13 (16,894 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2007 8:39:58 PM
(0)
Contributor
I am having this issue also - I called tech support and they said that it now can never be removed?  This cannot be right - I would like to get this superfluous icon off my screen - any ideas welcome - I did not sign up for the pay per use service.
I am having this issue also - I called tech support and they said that it now can never be removed?  This cannot be right - I would like to get this superfluous icon off my screen - any ideas welcome - I did not sign up for the pay per use service.

4 of 13 (16,390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2007 11:31:57 PM
(0)
Master
Have you considered backing up everything on the phone and doing a reset on the phone to turn it back to factory default?
Have you considered backing up everything on the phone and doing a reset on the phone to turn it back to factory default?

5 of 13 (16,384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2007 7:27:51 PM
(0)
Mentor
I'm in the same boat. I've tried the following obvious things with no success. So don't bother with these:
HKLM\Software\OEM\MASD\PTT key had a version number in it. I tried deleting the whole key.
HKCU\Software\HTC\PTT\PTTActivate key was set to 1. I tried setting it to 0.

I'm in the same boat. I've tried the following obvious things with no success. So don't bother with these:
HKLM\Software\OEM\MASD\PTT key had a version number in it. I tried deleting the whole key.
HKCU\Software\HTC\PTT\PTTActivate key was set to 1. I tried setting it to 0.

6 of 13 (15,608 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2007 10:46:32 PM
(0)
Mentor
Success! The registry key for the PTT app is:
HKLM\Services\PTT

Exporting (for backup purposes) and deleting the key will disable PTT.

Success! The registry key for the PTT app is:
HKLM\Services\PTT

Exporting (for backup purposes) and deleting the key will disable PTT.

7 of 13 (15,502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2007 2:35:54 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by tashina on Oct 12, 2007 at 6:10:24 PM
Thanks, this also worked me.

AT&T: Please put an uninstall stub in the box... PTT is such a {edited - word filter}!

Message Edited by tashina on 10-12-2007 08:10:24 PM
Thanks, this also worked me.

AT&T: Please put an uninstall stub in the box... PTT is such a {edited - word filter}!

Message Edited by tashina on 10-12-2007 08:10:24 PM

[ Edited ]
8 of 13 (15,488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2007 6:51:26 PM
(0)
Tutor
What program did you use to remove the PTT from your phone.  Thanks.

9 of 13 (15,477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2007 10:21:05 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by joeonsunset on Oct 16, 2007 at 10:21:59 PM
You'll need a program (many are available) to edit your phone's registry, which is a basically a database of settings. Search for "windows mobile registry editor." Total Commander is free but not the easiest to use. Resco Explorer is easier and has a free trial.

Search about editing the registry and read some to familiarize yourself with how it works since if you accidentally change the wrong key, you could have to hard reset.

(EDIT: Typos.)

Message Edited by joeonsunset on 10-17-2007 01:21:59 AM
You'll need a program (many are available) to edit your phone's registry, which is a basically a database of settings. Search for "windows mobile registry editor." Total Commander is free but not the easiest to use. Resco Explorer is easier and has a free trial.

Search about editing the registry and read some to familiarize yourself with how it works since if you accidentally change the wrong key, you could have to hard reset.

(EDIT: Typos.)

Message Edited by joeonsunset on 10-17-2007 01:21:59 AM

[ Edited ]
10 of 13 (15,394 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2007 10:38:48 PM
(0)
Master

shadow63 wrote:

The registry fix that joeonsunset used will not work for you since you do not have a Windows Mobile phone.

Have you tried a hard/master reset on your phone?

shadow63 wrote:

The registry fix that joeonsunset used will not work for you since you do not have a Windows Mobile phone.

Have you tried a hard/master reset on your phone?

11 of 13 (5,563 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2008 12:53:42 AM
(0)
Contributor
First of all, I don't see why it matters if your registered on AT&T's PTT network or not because if your not using it and are logged out then you don't get charged plus seriously it's just an Icon, it doesn't affect anyhting and you will gain very little by removing. Second PTT is NOT a piece of **** because I use it with another PTT user and it works perfect everytime and it's not slow, as a matter of fact it's pretty **** fast. It's way faster than text and plus I like it better than calling. For those of you who think it's takes to long to do the intial registration  well, it DOES NOT take that long and once it's done, it's done. Ok so my final thought is that $9,99 is a cost monthly cost to have unlimited PTT, you have to consider that it takes money to maintan the PTT network so it's not a free ride and if you think Pay-Per-Use is better, think again because those charges add up. Let's break this done, .15 cents per minute and lets say you stay in a call for 10 minutes that would be a total cost of $ 10.15 so as you can see the charges add up real quick so I think the $9.99 per month for unlimited is nothing to bicker about.
First of all, I don't see why it matters if your registered on AT&T's PTT network or not because if your not using it and are logged out then you don't get charged plus seriously it's just an Icon, it doesn't affect anyhting and you will gain very little by removing. Second PTT is NOT a piece of **** because I use it with another PTT user and it works perfect everytime and it's not slow, as a matter of fact it's pretty **** fast. It's way faster than text and plus I like it better than calling. For those of you who think it's takes to long to do the intial registration  well, it DOES NOT take that long and once it's done, it's done. Ok so my final thought is that $9,99 is a cost monthly cost to have unlimited PTT, you have to consider that it takes money to maintan the PTT network so it's not a free ride and if you think Pay-Per-Use is better, think again because those charges add up. Let's break this done, .15 cents per minute and lets say you stay in a call for 10 minutes that would be a total cost of $ 10.15 so as you can see the charges add up real quick so I think the $9.99 per month for unlimited is nothing to bicker about.

12 of 13 (4,638 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2008 6:09:04 AM
(0)
Former Moderator
Thank You for your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and is now being closed due to it's date. Should the OP need additional assistance please feel free to open up a new thread.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Thank You for your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and is now being closed due to it's date. Should the OP need additional assistance please feel free to open up a new thread.

13 of 13 (4,632 Views)