Highlighted
Posted Jun 28, 2011
6:15:08 PM
View profile
Removing data capability from gophone
Edited by pamelaz on Jun 28, 2011 at 7:48:29 PM

To whom it may concern,

Here is a quote from AT&T's GoPhone Plan Terms on data:

"Data, Messaging, & Downloads: Pay-per-use Text/Instant/Picture/Video Messaging and data service are  automatically included; just pay for usage. You may remove these services at any time by contacting customer service. "

Why is it then when I had my father call AT&T customer service to remove these services from his gophone since he only wishes to be able to send and receive calls he is told that they are unable to do this.  I consider this to be violating your own terms of services and will more than likely no longer keep my own service with ATT, which I pay ~$100 a month for, in the future due to this blatant taking advantage of customers who do not know/can't find these things that are buried in AT&T's own Terms of Service.

I'll be very interested in any response that AT&T can provide to this as I am sure the many other customers who have been told that ATT "CAN'T" disable these services. There are no exceptions in this term of service for different phone hardware, and since it is the software that is locked in these phones to prevent customers from disabling the service themselves when they are not helped by customer service, I find this excuse that is given to be an outright lie.

Awaiting a response,

Jason {Personal content removed for your safety}

To whom it may concern,

Here is a quote from AT&T's GoPhone Plan Terms on data:

"Data, Messaging, & Downloads: Pay-per-use Text/Instant/Picture/Video Messaging and data service are  automatically included; just pay for usage. You may remove these services at any time by contacting customer service. "

Why is it then when I had my father call AT&T customer service to remove these services from his gophone since he only wishes to be able to send and receive calls he is told that they are unable to do this.  I consider this to be violating your own terms of services and will more than likely no longer keep my own service with ATT, which I pay ~$100 a month for, in the future due to this blatant taking advantage of customers who do not know/can't find these things that are buried in AT&T's own Terms of Service.

I'll be very interested in any response that AT&T can provide to this as I am sure the many other customers who have been told that ATT "CAN'T" disable these services. There are no exceptions in this term of service for different phone hardware, and since it is the software that is locked in these phones to prevent customers from disabling the service themselves when they are not helped by customer service, I find this excuse that is given to be an outright lie.

Awaiting a response,

Jason {Personal content removed for your safety}

Removing data capability from gophone

[ Edited ]
3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2011 4:00:33 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by hme83 on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:02:51 AM

You likely won't receive a response from at&t out here - this is a forum for customers to help other customers out, and there is no "official" at&t representation outside of the moderators who are here primarily to enforce guidelines, etc.

Of course you are correct - I'm certain these services could be turned off at will for at&t's prepaid customers just like they can be for at&t's post paid customers.  I would contact customer service again and point out the information that is stated re: the issue in at&t's own prepaid terms and conditions - ask for a supervisor if necessary.  You may be able to make some progress just by attaining a different CSR and/or supervisor. 

Another possibilty you might try if you haven't already done so is to choose one of the smartphone voice plans for prepaid service - they were the same price as the voice plans intended for feature/messaging phones.  Then don't add a data plan; from what at&t states re: the smartphone voice plans, that should effectively eliminate the ability for PPU data use/charges.  (I don't know if this actually works as I haven't seen anyone say; but if the 10 cent/minute and $2/day smartphone specific voice plans are still available for selection via the IVR (they no longer are indicated on at&t's website), it would be worth a try if you can't simply get at&t to block data on your Dad's account.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

You likely won't receive a response from at&t out here - this is a forum for customers to help other customers out, and there is no "official" at&t representation outside of the moderators who are here primarily to enforce guidelines, etc.

Of course you are correct - I'm certain these services could be turned off at will for at&t's prepaid customers just like they can be for at&t's post paid customers.  I would contact customer service again and point out the information that is stated re: the issue in at&t's own prepaid terms and conditions - ask for a supervisor if necessary.  You may be able to make some progress just by attaining a different CSR and/or supervisor. 

Another possibilty you might try if you haven't already done so is to choose one of the smartphone voice plans for prepaid service - they were the same price as the voice plans intended for feature/messaging phones.  Then don't add a data plan; from what at&t states re: the smartphone voice plans, that should effectively eliminate the ability for PPU data use/charges.  (I don't know if this actually works as I haven't seen anyone say; but if the 10 cent/minute and $2/day smartphone specific voice plans are still available for selection via the IVR (they no longer are indicated on at&t's website), it would be worth a try if you can't simply get at&t to block data on your Dad's account.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Re: Removing data capability from gophone

[ Edited ]
2 of 4 (1,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2011 2:57:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

Yeah I figured about that much and would've called customer service myself, but I live in Hawaii so they close at 3pm our time and I got home at that time to find out what happened when my Dad my his call.  Posted my question here as well because it is practically impossible to contact AT&T through email for customer service, totally impossible for GoPhone questions, due to them having that topic selection system that pretty much always ends in "Call our customer service representatives to address this issue". Well, when your help lines go dark at 3pm it is kind of hard to do that.

Thanks for the response to my rant and I'll try to let everyone know how it turns out.

Yeah I figured about that much and would've called customer service myself, but I live in Hawaii so they close at 3pm our time and I got home at that time to find out what happened when my Dad my his call.  Posted my question here as well because it is practically impossible to contact AT&T through email for customer service, totally impossible for GoPhone questions, due to them having that topic selection system that pretty much always ends in "Call our customer service representatives to address this issue". Well, when your help lines go dark at 3pm it is kind of hard to do that.

Thanks for the response to my rant and I'll try to let everyone know how it turns out.

3 of 4 (1,159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 4:45:45 AM
(0)
Master

I know that used to be true re: the customer service hours - but their website claims they are now open until 10 p.m. local time, M - F and even open on Sunday (until 7 p.m. local time on Saturday/Sunday).  It isn't good that GoPhone customers don't have the same ability to receive customer support via e-mail that post paid customers do.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

I know that used to be true re: the customer service hours - but their website claims they are now open until 10 p.m. local time, M - F and even open on Sunday (until 7 p.m. local time on Saturday/Sunday).  It isn't good that GoPhone customers don't have the same ability to receive customer support via e-mail that post paid customers do.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

4 of 4 (1,146 Views)