Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 29, 2010
5:38:45 PM
View profile
Regarding the Data plan...

I know that with this phone it is required, and there's no way around it. However, I did get a bit of time to experience my iPhone without the data plan, and the only difference I really noticed was that I save a bit of money. I can still use all my apps while connected to Wi-Fi, so the lack of data never really bothered me. Personally, I preferred using my iPhone without the data plan because it just made more sense. Paying a significantly cheaper price for almost nothing lost (to me) seems like a smart choice... I just wish they offered a data-less iPhone! Similar to the new iPad that's coming out, the non-3g model. That has Wi-Fi, so it could be used in most places you would probably use it. Personally, I'm considering letting go of my iPhone for a lesser phone, but the thing i absolutely LOVE about my iPhone is that it saves EVERY single text message... and I don't know if there are any other phones that have texting as great as the iPhone. Decisions decisions... I'm due for an upgrade, so I guess we'll see what happens. I suppose I'll wait to see if the next iPhone is worth staying with AT&T with my iPhone, or hopping over to Sprint with the rest of my family. 

I know that with this phone it is required, and there's no way around it. However, I did get a bit of time to experience my iPhone without the data plan, and the only difference I really noticed was that I save a bit of money. I can still use all my apps while connected to Wi-Fi, so the lack of data never really bothered me. Personally, I preferred using my iPhone without the data plan because it just made more sense. Paying a significantly cheaper price for almost nothing lost (to me) seems like a smart choice... I just wish they offered a data-less iPhone! Similar to the new iPad that's coming out, the non-3g model. That has Wi-Fi, so it could be used in most places you would probably use it. Personally, I'm considering letting go of my iPhone for a lesser phone, but the thing i absolutely LOVE about my iPhone is that it saves EVERY single text message... and I don't know if there are any other phones that have texting as great as the iPhone. Decisions decisions... I'm due for an upgrade, so I guess we'll see what happens. I suppose I'll wait to see if the next iPhone is worth staying with AT&T with my iPhone, or hopping over to Sprint with the rest of my family. 

Regarding the Data plan...

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2010 7:55:43 PM
(0)
Master

The iPhone is never going to be sold without a data plan requirement, at least not by AT&T.  They may eventually allow people to opt out of the data plan when purchasing unsubsidized handsets, but if you buy a discounted iPhone from AT&T you will be paying for the data plan.  AT&T isn't going to be selling the iPad, and they're not going to be subsidized.

The iPhone is never going to be sold without a data plan requirement, at least not by AT&T.  They may eventually allow people to opt out of the data plan when purchasing unsubsidized handsets, but if you buy a discounted iPhone from AT&T you will be paying for the data plan.  AT&T isn't going to be selling the iPad, and they're not going to be subsidized.

Re: Regarding the Data plan...

2 of 12 (2,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2010 10:13:19 AM
(0)
Teacher

Personally I think the iPod Touch XL (iPad) is a joke. It's nice that everything's bigger and easier to see, probably a bit quicker too, haven't checked out specs, but it really brings nothing new to the table. I may just let my AT&T contract end when it does on July 11th of this year, unless the new iPhone is really worth it. Smiley Very Happy

Personally I think the iPod Touch XL (iPad) is a joke. It's nice that everything's bigger and easier to see, probably a bit quicker too, haven't checked out specs, but it really brings nothing new to the table. I may just let my AT&T contract end when it does on July 11th of this year, unless the new iPhone is really worth it. Smiley Very Happy

3 of 12 (2,075 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2010 2:55:46 PM
(0)
Scholar

why not just get an iPod Touch?  That's what I have and it's excellent.  Much thinner and lighter than the iPhone, and runs all the apps.  The only things it's missing compared to an iPhone are the cell connection (so no phone, and must have wi-fi to connect), and a camera, and GPS.  And no monthly bill!

why not just get an iPod Touch?  That's what I have and it's excellent.  Much thinner and lighter than the iPhone, and runs all the apps.  The only things it's missing compared to an iPhone are the cell connection (so no phone, and must have wi-fi to connect), and a camera, and GPS.  And no monthly bill!

4 of 12 (2,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2010 8:24:02 PM
(0)
Teacher

Well I JUST cracked my iPhone's screen about 15 minutes ago Smiley Very Happy I'm really hoping the new iPhone is worth it, and not ridiculously priced Smiley Tongue I never got a 3GS because it wasn't subsidized like the 3G was... although I didn't get a subsidized 3G either so... yeah. Smiley Very Happy

Well I JUST cracked my iPhone's screen about 15 minutes ago Smiley Very Happy I'm really hoping the new iPhone is worth it, and not ridiculously priced Smiley Tongue I never got a 3GS because it wasn't subsidized like the 3G was... although I didn't get a subsidized 3G either so... yeah. Smiley Very Happy

5 of 12 (1,893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2010 8:41:10 PM
(0)
Professor

Monkiedude wrote:

The 3G and 3GS were both subsidized in the exact same manner.  If you were eligable, you got the best pricing.  If you were not eligable, you paid $200 more.  Or there was the no contract option at full price.

Only the original iPhone was never offered with subsidizing.

Monkiedude wrote:

The 3G and 3GS were both subsidized in the exact same manner.  If you were eligable, you got the best pricing.  If you were not eligable, you paid $200 more.  Or there was the no contract option at full price.

Only the original iPhone was never offered with subsidizing.

6 of 12 (1,887 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2010 8:50:40 PM
(0)
Master

In the mean time you can order a screen online and replace it yourself for under $50.

Monkiedude wrote:

I never got a 3GS because it wasn't subsidized like the 3G was... although I didn't get a subsidized 3G either so... yeah. Smiley Very Happy

Not sure what you mean here as the 3GS and the 3G were both offer as subsidized phones.  Or are you saying you just didn't qualify for a subsidized phone because you were not a new customer or upgrade eligible for the subsidized price.  The original iPhone wasn't subsidized.

In the mean time you can order a screen online and replace it yourself for under $50.

Monkiedude wrote:

I never got a 3GS because it wasn't subsidized like the 3G was... although I didn't get a subsidized 3G either so... yeah. Smiley Very Happy

Not sure what you mean here as the 3GS and the 3G were both offer as subsidized phones.  Or are you saying you just didn't qualify for a subsidized phone because you were not a new customer or upgrade eligible for the subsidized price.  The original iPhone wasn't subsidized.

7 of 12 (1,884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2010 6:27:23 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Apr 5, 2010 at 6:29:48 AM

You can go on Apple's Store and click buy now and it would pull up the question of eligibility by checking your AT&T records. If you didn't buy the 3G this year but like July 2008 - December 2008, it would be eligible as long as your credit is good. 1 1/2 years is the early eligibility and 2 years is the full on.

I would actually hold off until the 4th gen is announced. It's almost time and hopefully not requiring iPad accessories.

-------------

You do need a data plan for the iPhone one way or another. Only workaround is the iPod Touch unless you want to pay a nickel or more per meg and most customers run it up to the cap of a laptop (5000 MB).

You can go on Apple's Store and click buy now and it would pull up the question of eligibility by checking your AT&T records. If you didn't buy the 3G this year but like July 2008 - December 2008, it would be eligible as long as your credit is good. 1 1/2 years is the early eligibility and 2 years is the full on.

I would actually hold off until the 4th gen is announced. It's almost time and hopefully not requiring iPad accessories.

-------------

You do need a data plan for the iPhone one way or another. Only workaround is the iPod Touch unless you want to pay a nickel or more per meg and most customers run it up to the cap of a laptop (5000 MB).

[ Edited ]
8 of 12 (1,848 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 11:28:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

Since the iPhone is the only phone I know of that requires a data plan, it tells me that this was dictated by Apple in order to keep ATT as teir only carrier,at least for now. I am sure Apple gets a cut. My recommendation, since your phone actually will use very little data bandwidth until you get onto wireless is to get the $15/month data plan for 200MB. The ir is a data calculater on the ATT site so you can estimate your data usage. Ther is very little you can do when not on Wi-Fi to use a lof of data. I know that I cannot even download my pod casts unless I am on Wi-Fi becasue the files are too big. The only thing that uses  the most data would be viewing web pages wile not on Wi-Fi. I hardly ever do it becasue it's so slow. You can see how much your phone is using on voice and data in your setting/general/about. I would guess if you reset it to 0 and check it in one month, you probably will not have used more than 200MB

Since the iPhone is the only phone I know of that requires a data plan, it tells me that this was dictated by Apple in order to keep ATT as teir only carrier,at least for now. I am sure Apple gets a cut. My recommendation, since your phone actually will use very little data bandwidth until you get onto wireless is to get the $15/month data plan for 200MB. The ir is a data calculater on the ATT site so you can estimate your data usage. Ther is very little you can do when not on Wi-Fi to use a lof of data. I know that I cannot even download my pod casts unless I am on Wi-Fi becasue the files are too big. The only thing that uses  the most data would be viewing web pages wile not on Wi-Fi. I hardly ever do it becasue it's so slow. You can see how much your phone is using on voice and data in your setting/general/about. I would guess if you reset it to 0 and check it in one month, you probably will not have used more than 200MB

9 of 12 (1,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 11:45:24 AM
(0)
Former Employee

halk wrote:

Every smart phone must have a data plan, not just the iphone and Apple definitely does not get a cut of any service plan. They make their money on the hardware and app store/itunes.

halk wrote:

Every smart phone must have a data plan, not just the iphone and Apple definitely does not get a cut of any service plan. They make their money on the hardware and app store/itunes.

10 of 12 (1,245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2012 3:28:02 PM
(0)
Teacher

I know this is YEARS later, but what I meant by that was, if you had the original iPhone, regardless of when you started your contract, you could get the iPhone 3G subsidized. I merely assumed the same would be true with the 3Gs, but we all know how that turned out, now don't we?

I know this is YEARS later, but what I meant by that was, if you had the original iPhone, regardless of when you started your contract, you could get the iPhone 3G subsidized. I merely assumed the same would be true with the 3Gs, but we all know how that turned out, now don't we?

11 of 12 (238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2012 3:39:03 PM
(0)
Master

Monkiedude wrote:

No comparison in the subsidized 3G from an original iPhone.  When you got your original iPhone, you paid full price so it was not really a big deal to offer a subsidized upgrade.  Now going from one subsidized iPhone to a newer subsidized model is different and the carriers should be allowed to at least break even on the hardware before giving you another subsidized iPhone........

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Monkiedude wrote:

No comparison in the subsidized 3G from an original iPhone.  When you got your original iPhone, you paid full price so it was not really a big deal to offer a subsidized upgrade.  Now going from one subsidized iPhone to a newer subsidized model is different and the carriers should be allowed to at least break even on the hardware before giving you another subsidized iPhone........

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

12 of 12 (234 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments