Refurbished iPhone 3GS SIM swap

Contributor

Refurbished iPhone 3GS SIM swap

I've seen various topics and older posts but didn't know if anything had changed as the phone is older now...but...

I have an older Nokia with a (grandfathered) unlimited data plan and was wondering if I can use that SIM card in a refurbished iPhone 3GS without creating a headache for myself by having to get a new contract.  I've seen them for sale on overstock.com and newegg for around $200 but I don't think it'd be worth it to me if I can't just switch the SIM and continue on contract free...

Any info is appreciated.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 5 (937 Views)
Master

Re: Refurbished iPhone 3GS SIM swap

You can move an unlimited smartphone data plan to an iPhone without any problems. Call AT&T when you are ready to ensure you have the right features on your account to work with the iPhone. No contract required.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 5 (927 Views)
ACE - Master

ducrider wrote:

I've seen various topics and older posts but didn't know if anything had changed as the phone is older now...but...

I have an older Nokia with a (grandfathered) unlimited data plan and was wondering if I can use that SIM card in a refurbished iPhone 3GS without creating a headache for myself by having to get a new contract.  I've seen them for sale on overstock.com and newegg for around $200 but I don't think it'd be worth it to me if I can't just switch the SIM and continue on contract free...

Any info is appreciated.  Thanks!

Yes, you can swap the sim from the Nokia to a 3GS and no new contract is required and if the unlimited data plan you have is for a smart phone, then it can be transferred as well. You will have to call AT&T and let them know you are using an iPhone as data will not work unless you have a compatible iPhone data plan.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5 (926 Views)
Contributor

When reviewing my plan, it shows I have Messaging and Data Unlimited for Non-Smartphones.  I suppose that's different than the unlimited for Smartphones in the eyes of AT&T and their billing?

Message 4 of 5 (900 Views)
Master

Yes. You would need one of the new smartphone data plans. If you just switch the Sim, AT&T will eventually make the change for you.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 5 of 5 (895 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.