Wireless Forums

Posted Jan 24, 2012
2:40:00 PM
View profile
Reduced speed for top 5% data users !
Edited by ShaunMN on Jan 24, 2012 at 4:07:56 PM

What a bunch of crap ..... It's AT&T s way if saying{word filter evasion}To its loyal customers ! I've been with them for years and have 5 wireless lines , have had two business lines .... Dsl at work , uverse at home .... And now on my unlimited data wireless lines they reduce the speed saying I need to cut back !!!, my gf and I just cancelled our home line , canceled separate uverse acct ... Closed both biz lines last year and now will be closing 5 wireless lines as they come up for renewal !!! Nice try AT&T that's the way to reward loyal customers !!! Love the Link they send you too when you click on solutions .... Want you to buy a different data plan !!! Already had unlimited but !!!!! Metro ... Verizon here we come !!!

What a bunch of crap ..... It's AT&T s way if saying{word filter evasion}To its loyal customers ! I've been with them for years and have 5 wireless lines , have had two business lines .... Dsl at work , uverse at home .... And now on my unlimited data wireless lines they reduce the speed saying I need to cut back !!!, my gf and I just cancelled our home line , canceled separate uverse acct ... Closed both biz lines last year and now will be closing 5 wireless lines as they come up for renewal !!! Nice try AT&T that's the way to reward loyal customers !!! Love the Link they send you too when you click on solutions .... Want you to buy a different data plan !!! Already had unlimited but !!!!! Metro ... Verizon here we come !!!

Reduced speed for top 5% data users !

[ Edited ]
48 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(48)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 24, 2012 5:51:17 PM
(0)
Guru

Verizon will do the same thing, and their unlimited plan is similarly long gone. Sprint has a so-called unlimited plan, but their data speeds tend to be awful and they've started throttling the "Top 1%". Good luck finding an iPhone on an unlimited plan with decent data speeds.

Verizon will do the same thing, and their unlimited plan is similarly long gone. Sprint has a so-called unlimited plan, but their data speeds tend to be awful and they've started throttling the "Top 1%". Good luck finding an iPhone on an unlimited plan with decent data speeds.

Re: Reduced speed for top 5% data users !

2 of 49 (3,998 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2012 6:22:42 AM
(0)
Expert

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

what also is amusing is the T-Mobile "unlimited plans" , if you notice they have throttle limits listed also.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/cell-phone-plans-detail.aspx?tp=tb1&rateplan=Classic-Ultd-Talk-Ul...

tmobile unlimited everything.PNG

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

what also is amusing is the T-Mobile "unlimited plans" , if you notice they have throttle limits listed also.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/cell-phone-plans-detail.aspx?tp=tb1&rateplan=Classic-Ultd-Talk-Ultd-Text-Ultd-Data-5-GB

tmobile unlimited everything.PNG

3 of 49 (3,972 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2012 7:31:32 AM
(0)
Mentor

but t-mob offers comparable packages at lower total cost, and they don't put you on the hook for overages.

man, you guys who like to compare, as if that's justification.

this isn't about the other guys, this is about AT&T.

but t-mob offers comparable packages at lower total cost, and they don't put you on the hook for overages.

4 of 49 (3,969 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2012 8:40:57 AM
(0)
Tutor
It's not just about the money , that's part of it ! It's about taking something away from a valued customer ! Rather give my my to metro ! F... You AT&T
It's not just about the money , that's part of it ! It's about taking something away from a valued customer ! Rather give my my to metro ! F... You AT&T

5 of 49 (3,964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2012 8:45:28 AM
(0)
Tutor
Instead if taking my 400 some odd dollars a month with all my accts and giving a little extra ... They will lose my business
Instead if taking my 400 some odd dollars a month with all my accts and giving a little extra ... They will lose my business

6 of 49 (3,963 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2012 10:00:42 AM
(0)
Mentor

and if you leave before i do...AT&T will find a way to make me pay for you leaving, instead of fixing the problem and keeping you.

and if you leave before i do...AT&T will find a way to make me pay for you leaving, instead of fixing the problem and keeping you.

7 of 49 (3,959 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2012 2:48:51 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jan 25, 2012 at 2:50:51 PM

augidog wrote:

want to bet, research deeper....... ATT does not have additional charges if you stay on the grandfathered unlimited plan and are wiling to be throttled, so it is a valid comparision, att and t-mobile both throttle on their unlimited plan, so they are no different.

So right now you are basicly saying that it is ok for t-mobile to charge for a plan that has unlimited data but throttle after specifc points, but it is not ok for att to throttle a grandfathered data plan? even though the policy was in the paperwork all along?

fact it unlimited data is going away

augidog wrote:

want to bet, research deeper....... ATT does not have additional charges if you stay on the grandfathered unlimited plan and are wiling to be throttled, so it is a valid comparision, att and t-mobile both throttle on their unlimited plan, so they are no different.

So right now you are basicly saying that it is ok for t-mobile to charge for a plan that has unlimited data but throttle after specifc points, but it is not ok for att to throttle a grandfathered data plan? even though the policy was in the paperwork all along?

fact it unlimited data is going away

[ Edited ]
8 of 49 (3,931 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2012 3:32:40 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by augidog on Jan 25, 2012 at 3:48:06 PM

apples & oranges, wingrider...you're comparing a new plan to a grandfathered one.

but you misread me...personally i don't care about throttling after an expected cap. i'll take it, then i'll know what my bill is every month. what i DO care about is being sucked into a setup that i CANNOT properly monitor, as any overages i incurr won't even show up until it's too late.

apples & apples would be to compare the new plans against one another.

my research shows that i can get a plan from t-mob that gives me talk/text/data at a fixed price i can count on, and compared to AT&T's plans, which DO make you liable for overage, i can get the quantities i need from t-mob for $20 less per month.

but, still, this isn't about the other guys...this is entirely about AT&T making it's existing customers pay for some pretty bad business-management on it's part.

apples & oranges, wingrider...you're comparing a new plan to a grandfathered one.

but you misread me...personally i don't care about throttling after an expected cap. i'll take it, then i'll know what my bill is every month. what i DO care about is being sucked into a setup that i CANNOT properly monitor, as any overages i incurr won't even show up until it's too late.

my research shows that i can get a plan from t-mob that gives me talk/text/data at a fixed price i can count on, and compared to AT&T's plans, which DO make you liable for overage, i can get the quantities i need from t-mob for $20 less per month.

but, still, this isn't about the other guys...this is entirely about AT&T making it's existing customers pay for some pretty bad business-management on it's part.

[ Edited ]
9 of 49 (3,925 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2012 3:17:27 AM
(0)
Expert

augidog wrote:

different opinions, the only thing I see as "bad business management" is the way they handled the unlimited plan, it should have been sunseted and removed as the "no dataplan for smartphones" feature was.

Actualy no it is not "comparing apple to oranges" they are both offering unlimited plans but both have fair use policies in trheir terms (in the case of att it has been there since theplan was offered years ago) that state the same thing - abuse data usage and you get throttled, how exactly is that "comparing apples to oranges"

augidog wrote:

different opinions, the only thing I see as "bad business management" is the way they handled the unlimited plan, it should have been sunseted and removed as the "no dataplan for smartphones" feature was.

Actualy no it is not "comparing apple to oranges" they are both offering unlimited plans but both have fair use policies in trheir terms (in the case of att it has been there since theplan was offered years ago) that state the same thing - abuse data usage and you get throttled, how exactly is that "comparing apples to oranges"

10 of 49 (3,900 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2012 5:35:14 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by augidog on Jan 26, 2012 at 5:58:08 AM

wait now...you're comparing a grandfathered plan to new offerings...as a new smartphone arrival, i'm comparing what's available now.

"bad business management" is more than just data plans & details...it's greed and prioritizing stock values over customer satisfaction. it's poor business to oversell your resources, then expect your existing customers to accept a smaller share while paying the same or more. in another thread, one at&t customer told another "go ahead and leave so my service will improve"...that says a lot, and the message isn't a positive one about at&t.

it wasn't until recently that the complaints about throttling began to surface regularly...now, i'm not grandfathered, but i can surely see why peeps might be disappointed, apparently the throttling is more than a slow-down but a crippling reduction. if one already has a negative view of corporate behavior, one might think at&t's extorting grandfathered unlimiteds by design. candidly, that's exactly what i think is happening.

t-mob, on the other hand...from a customer's viewpoint...is now offering the same packages as at&t, at better prices, and under better conditions...ie no risk of overage, just a slowdown. and it's all laid out up-front, a definitely glaring difference compared to at&t's practices.

like i said, about throttling, i'll take it...i could buy the plan that comes closest, then relax knowing i won't have my pocket picked if i squeek over the cap.

matter of fact, i'd totally jump on a plan that was "unlimited" but throttled (to a reasonable speed) all the time. i don't need the speed, i need a stress-free customer experience. and since getting onboard with a smartphone and data plan, my experience has been ANYTHING BUT stress-free. you have to keep in mind, this is coming from a "valued customer since 2005" who never had any complaints until now.

wait now...you're comparing a grandfathered plan to new offerings...as a new smartphone arrival, i'm comparing what's available now.

"bad business management" is more than just data plans & details...it's greed and prioritizing stock values over customer satisfaction. it's poor business to oversell your resources, then expect your existing customers to accept a smaller share while paying the same or more. in another thread, one at&t customer told another "go ahead and leave so my service will improve"...that says a lot, and the message isn't a positive one about at&t.

it wasn't until recently that the complaints about throttling began to surface regularly...now, i'm not grandfathered, but i can surely see why peeps might be disappointed, apparently the throttling is more than a slow-down but a crippling reduction. if one already has a negative view of corporate behavior, one might think at&t's extorting grandfathered unlimiteds by design. candidly, that's exactly what i think is happening.

t-mob, on the other hand...from a customer's viewpoint...is now offering the same packages as at&t, at better prices, and under better conditions...ie no risk of overage, just a slowdown. and it's all laid out up-front, a definitely glaring difference compared to at&t's practices.

like i said, about throttling, i'll take it...i could buy the plan that comes closest, then relax knowing i won't have my pocket picked if i squeek over the cap.

matter of fact, i'd totally jump on a plan that was "unlimited" but throttled (to a reasonable speed) all the time. i don't need the speed, i need a stress-free customer experience. and since getting onboard with a smartphone and data plan, my experience has been ANYTHING BUT stress-free. you have to keep in mind, this is coming from a "valued customer since 2005" who never had any complaints until now.

[ Edited ]
11 of 49 (3,689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2012 7:24:06 AM
(0)
Expert

augidog wrote:

curious - what "comparision" are you talking about?

If you can live with throttling, then you have no issues to complain about since by your own statement it does not matter.

By the way you will never see any of the top 3 carriers try to match t-mobiles plans, it is not worth it to them. The again the parent company of t-mobile has publicly stated they do not want to maintain two markets and wants to concentrate on their primary market - Europe.

augidog wrote:

curious - what "comparision" are you talking about?

If you can live with throttling, then you have no issues to complain about since by your own statement it does not matter.

By the way you will never see any of the top 3 carriers try to match t-mobiles plans, it is not worth it to them. The again the parent company of t-mobile has publicly stated they do not want to maintain two markets and wants to concentrate on their primary market - Europe.

12 of 49 (3,674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2012 9:04:00 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by augidog on Jan 26, 2012 at 9:16:53 AM

ok you win, you love at&t, i don't any longer. i do still love the technology but doing business with someone i don't like (on principle) always leaves a sour taste. i'm stuck at the moment, but as soon as i move to an area with competition, i'm happily paying the ETF and skee-daddling. when i do, i guess you'll notice the difference in speed, eh? when enough of us do, i guess you'll also notice a difference in quality. that said, i don't wanna leave, i want a fair agreement at a fair price.

don't be thinking everyone buys the comparisons and justifications some of you use. dodging the issues of ethics & business principle gets us nowhere during these discussions, which is exactly where at&t (and the other carriers) wants us.

while throttling was always part of the agreement, i get the strong impression that (what was once) throttling has become strangling...services slowed to complete ineffectiveness...buddy, no matter what, if that's the case, then at&t is burning it's grandfathered folks. not by mistake either but purposely by design, to force them into money-pit plans that i do know a thing or two about...they totally vacuum, my friend. they're setup to suck cash outta my wallet, overages only appear after they've occurred, underages go back into the till at my expense.

i figured my on-topic input here would be my mentioning that i personally wouldn't mind a fixed-speed plan, throttle me from day one, and charge me for a "basics" all-included plan.

ok you win, you love at&t, i don't any longer. i do still love the technology but doing business with someone i don't like (on principle) always leaves a sour taste. i'm stuck at the moment, but as soon as i move to an area with competition, i'm happily paying the ETF and skee-daddling. when i do, i guess you'll notice the difference in speed, eh? when enough of us do, i guess you'll also notice a difference in quality. that said, i don't wanna leave, i want a fair agreement at a fair price.

don't be thinking everyone buys the comparisons and justifications some of you use. dodging the issues of ethics & business principle gets us nowhere during these discussions, which is exactly where at&t (and the other carriers) wants us.

while throttling was always part of the agreement, i get the strong impression that (what was once) throttling has become strangling...services slowed to complete ineffectiveness...buddy, no matter what, if that's the case, then at&t is burning it's grandfathered folks. not by mistake either but purposely by design, to force them into money-pit plans that i do know a thing or two about...they totally vacuum, my friend. they're setup to suck cash outta my wallet, overages only appear after they've occurred, underages go back into the till at my expense.

i figured my on-topic input here would be my mentioning that i personally wouldn't mind a fixed-speed plan, throttle me from day one, and charge me for a "basics" all-included plan.

[ Edited ]
13 of 49 (3,663 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2012 10:01:53 AM
(0)
Expert

augidog wrote:

No I don;t love ATT, nor Sprint, nor verizon, nor O2 nor Orange nor globalstar - have phones and business agreements with all of them. Have had both buisness and personal billing, service and data issues with all of them. 

Just becasue someone disagrees with you at a business level does not mean they "love" the company nor are they a "fanboi". What "ethic" issues, sorry there are none, they are enforcing terms that have been there since day one. A "fair agreement" in whose terms? Yours or the companies providing the service - I doubt that yours and any companies definition of a "fair agreement" will come anywhere near being the same.

I do not see anything wrong with a company enforcing terms that have been in the agreement since day one, we do it all the time at my company, yes things change but that is just business. The only thing that I disagree with ATT on is how it was handled, the unlimited plan should not have been grandfathered but sunseted.

augidog wrote:

No I don;t love ATT, nor Sprint, nor verizon, nor O2 nor Orange nor globalstar - have phones and business agreements with all of them. Have had both buisness and personal billing, service and data issues with all of them. 

Just becasue someone disagrees with you at a business level does not mean they "love" the company nor are they a "fanboi". What "ethic" issues, sorry there are none, they are enforcing terms that have been there since day one. A "fair agreement" in whose terms? Yours or the companies providing the service - I doubt that yours and any companies definition of a "fair agreement" will come anywhere near being the same.

I do not see anything wrong with a company enforcing terms that have been in the agreement since day one, we do it all the time at my company, yes things change but that is just business. The only thing that I disagree with ATT on is how it was handled, the unlimited plan should not have been grandfathered but sunseted.

14 of 49 (3,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2012 10:52:16 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by augidog on Jan 26, 2012 at 11:21:13 AM

well, then, quit splitting hairs over a few words, wingrider...you said elsewhere you don't usually & i said i'm cool with that. i apologise for the stress of my carpy new account getting the better of me. i would, however, like to keep talking about these things...from the ethical standpoint, or to simplify, how one person chooses to treat another.

at&t is NOT BOUND by the fair use thingy to go to extreme, but it is USING the fair use thingy as it's excuse to do just that.

other, more moderate & fair, CHOICES of action are available.

there is one thing that should remain constant for the customer...the quality and the quantity of whatever the entire original agreement was based on. if the infrastructure isn't poised to maintain that original level per agreement, then the infrastructure is cleary not ready for expansion.

"stuff happens" is always the company's problem and never the customers, 'specially when the "stuff" is self-generated by haste and blind pursuit of bottom line.

so, for real, i'm an at&t customer, have been for a long time, and have recently become very dis-satisfied with the character of the character i'm doing business with.

so are the grandfathered plans maintaining the same levels but people never hit the limits before? i could see that happening with the speeds, and that would generate some complaints, but the best answer would be "you never hit the limit before" and not a bunch of "the other guys do it too."

or, is the overall experience actually deteriorating? is the slow-down making services effectively unusable? if yes, if the "enforcement" is eroding the original agreed-upon environment for the customer, then c'mon you know which direction this discussion should take.

when someone tells me "i'm not legally/technically/contractually doing anything wrong" as their only reason behind a choice...they've told me more than they realize.

ps-i wasn't around then, but one thing makes sense, yes i agree with you, they should have restructured on the spot instead of doing this grandfathered thing. on the other hand, this new data arrangement is gonna generate a lot of data-confusion & data-complaints all on it's own, you betcha! 

well, then, quit splitting hairs over a few words, wingrider...you said elsewhere you don't usually & i said i'm cool with that. i apologise for the stress of my carpy new account getting the better of me. i would, however, like to keep talking about these things...from the ethical standpoint, or to simplify, how one person chooses to treat another.

at&t is NOT BOUND by the fair use thingy to go to extreme, but it is USING the fair use thingy as it's excuse to do just that.

other, more moderate & fair, CHOICES of action are available.

there is one thing that should remain constant for the customer...the quality and the quantity of whatever the entire original agreement was based on. if the infrastructure isn't poised to maintain that original level per agreement, then the infrastructure is cleary not ready for expansion.

"stuff happens" is always the company's problem and never the customers, 'specially when the "stuff" is self-generated by haste and blind pursuit of bottom line.

so, for real, i'm an at&t customer, have been for a long time, and have recently become very dis-satisfied with the character of the character i'm doing business with.

so are the grandfathered plans maintaining the same levels but people never hit the limits before? i could see that happening with the speeds, and that would generate some complaints, but the best answer would be "you never hit the limit before" and not a bunch of "the other guys do it too."

or, is the overall experience actually deteriorating? is the slow-down making services effectively unusable? if yes, if the "enforcement" is eroding the original agreed-upon environment for the customer, then c'mon you know which direction this discussion should take.

when someone tells me "i'm not legally/technically/contractually doing anything wrong" as their only reason behind a choice...they've told me more than they realize.

ps-i wasn't around then, but one thing makes sense, yes i agree with you, they should have restructured on the spot instead of doing this grandfathered thing. on the other hand, this new data arrangement is gonna generate a lot of data-confusion & data-complaints all on it's own, you betcha! 

[ Edited ]
15 of 49 (3,646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2012 7:41:23 PM
(0)
Contributor
Yeah the new data 30.00 for 3gigs minimum and I pay 30.00 for unlimited. To be "fair" just raise our 2gig throttle to 3gigs and I would be happy
Yeah the new data 30.00 for 3gigs minimum and I pay 30.00 for unlimited. To be "fair" just raise our 2gig throttle to 3gigs and I would be happy

16 of 49 (3,604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2012 11:43:02 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by augidog on Jan 26, 2012 at 11:48:57 PM

that seems very fair.

if you think about it, a GREAT data-plan choice would be to remove the overage option from the current $30 3GB pack, and institute a radical (but minimally usable) throttle at the cap.

in other words, re-implement the so-called "unlimited" but have everyone on the same page up-front.

a great basic economy plan for "valued customers" who have to watch the budget, and definitely a public relations plus for AT&T.

you'd create a huge tier of users who are 1) never the top 5%, and 2) never complaining.

keep the premium data options on a pay as you go no throttle.

everyone's happy.

that seems very fair.

if you think about it, a GREAT data-plan choice would be to remove the overage option from the current $30 3GB pack, and institute a radical (but minimally usable) throttle at the cap.

in other words, re-implement the so-called "unlimited" but have everyone on the same page up-front.

a great basic economy plan for "valued customers" who have to watch the budget, and definitely a public relations plus for AT&T.

you'd create a huge tier of users who are 1) never the top 5%, and 2) never complaining.

keep the premium data options on a pay as you go no throttle.

everyone's happy.

[ Edited ]
17 of 49 (3,590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2012 8:34:31 AM
(0)
Contributor

Ive been throttled the last two months when ive never been throttled before. I looked at my usage this morning and its a little above 2 gigs. My own mother who isnt on an unlimited plan but has used more data than me isnt even throttled. Ive always thought it was a little unfair that us who have had unlimited data for the last 5 years and have never abused it are being punished. I know people who tether their phones and use 20 gigs of data. I mainly use my data to watch about 20 minutes of Netflix every night before I go to bed. Im unable to reach a wifi spot so Im using my 3G. Aside from the usual twitter and facebook every now and then, all I do is watch a tv show every night and Im throttled 18 days into my billing cycle. I think theres a conspiracy against the top 5% users. How is the top 5% of data users use only 2 gigs? They offer 2 gigs as a data plan, just doesnt add up to me.

But is it really that unrealistic of an expectation to pay $30 a month for 20 minutes of video a day?

Ive been throttled the last two months when ive never been throttled before. I looked at my usage this morning and its a little above 2 gigs. My own mother who isnt on an unlimited plan but has used more data than me isnt even throttled. Ive always thought it was a little unfair that us who have had unlimited data for the last 5 years and have never abused it are being punished. I know people who tether their phones and use 20 gigs of data. I mainly use my data to watch about 20 minutes of Netflix every night before I go to bed. Im unable to reach a wifi spot so Im using my 3G. Aside from the usual twitter and facebook every now and then, all I do is watch a tv show every night and Im throttled 18 days into my billing cycle. I think theres a conspiracy against the top 5% users. How is the top 5% of data users use only 2 gigs? They offer 2 gigs as a data plan, just doesnt add up to me.

But is it really that unrealistic of an expectation to pay $30 a month for 20 minutes of video a day?

18 of 49 (3,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2012 2:21:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

What is the top 5%?  How much data puts me in the top 5%?  I might receive a text message warning me that I am getting close, but how much more data am I actually allowed to use?  How much is my speed reduced?  I don't want to hear what it is equivalent to.  I want to know exactly what my data speeds now are. 

Any commercial ATT produces bragging about the speed of its network is basically a lie.  The network is only fast if nobody uses it!

There is no way for the consumer to verify what the "Top 5 percent" actually uses, and what data levels ATT deems acceptable.  This is merely an arbitrary degradation of service.  I signed a contract for an unlimited data plan.  I paid for a 4Gs iphone, but because I actually make use of my phone, ATT has decided that rather than pay to upgrade the capacity of its wireless network, it will simply degrade my service and save the money. 

This problem will only grow worse with time.  Anyone short-sighted enough to think that they "don't need that much bandwidth" should have their smartphone taken away from them now.  As new and more exciting Apps and other phone related data products are invented and offered, the data usage will continue to climb.  Throttling data speeds is a temporary fix for ATT that will only create a future nightmare.  More and more people will simply be unable to take advantage of the virtually limitless uses of a smartphone.  If you think that this doesn't apply to you, you are flat wrong. 

What is the top 5%?  How much data puts me in the top 5%?  I might receive a text message warning me that I am getting close, but how much more data am I actually allowed to use?  How much is my speed reduced?  I don't want to hear what it is equivalent to.  I want to know exactly what my data speeds now are. 

Any commercial ATT produces bragging about the speed of its network is basically a lie.  The network is only fast if nobody uses it!

There is no way for the consumer to verify what the "Top 5 percent" actually uses, and what data levels ATT deems acceptable.  This is merely an arbitrary degradation of service.  I signed a contract for an unlimited data plan.  I paid for a 4Gs iphone, but because I actually make use of my phone, ATT has decided that rather than pay to upgrade the capacity of its wireless network, it will simply degrade my service and save the money. 

This problem will only grow worse with time.  Anyone short-sighted enough to think that they "don't need that much bandwidth" should have their smartphone taken away from them now.  As new and more exciting Apps and other phone related data products are invented and offered, the data usage will continue to climb.  Throttling data speeds is a temporary fix for ATT that will only create a future nightmare.  More and more people will simply be unable to take advantage of the virtually limitless uses of a smartphone.  If you think that this doesn't apply to you, you are flat wrong. 

19 of 49 (3,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2012 4:29:13 PM
(0)
Expert

jdavidp wrote:

you do realize that att is not the only company that is throttling the unlimited data plan? Verizon is doing it to their grandfathered plan, now Virgin Mobile, a wholely owned company of Sprint has announced it ( a taste of what will come form the parent company Sprint maybe?), T-Mobiles unlimited everything plans have statements of how much data you recieve at full speed until you get throttled, even the lowly cricket restricts data speeds on their unlimited plan after a set amount. There is a reason all smartphones have a wifi connection, and the simple fact that wifi hotspots are springing up all over the plan.

The unthrottled, unlimited data plans are going by the wayside, even home broadband providers are capping the usage for their customers.

jdavidp wrote:

you do realize that att is not the only company that is throttling the unlimited data plan? Verizon is doing it to their grandfathered plan, now Virgin Mobile, a wholely owned company of Sprint has announced it ( a taste of what will come form the parent company Sprint maybe?), T-Mobiles unlimited everything plans have statements of how much data you recieve at full speed until you get throttled, even the lowly cricket restricts data speeds on their unlimited plan after a set amount. There is a reason all smartphones have a wifi connection, and the simple fact that wifi hotspots are springing up all over the plan.

The unthrottled, unlimited data plans are going by the wayside, even home broadband providers are capping the usage for their customers.

20 of 49 (3,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2012 8:10:13 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by augidog on Jan 31, 2012 at 9:05:23 AM

this is a topic about at&t's relationship with it's customers.

it's not a topic about what other carriers are doing.

"everyone's doing it"...get a clue...it's off-topic, and too doggone common around these parts. 

clearly, at&t has no sense of a personal relationship with us who've stayed & paid, much less any sense of fair play in general.

the resources are overbooked, existing customers are losing ground monthly, new customers are exclaiming disappointment concerning claims of performance versus real performance. i'm on a so-called premium plan, and my tethered speeds halved after around 3.2GB, even during off-peak. i know that's not accidental. and o-m-g wait until people see some real-life data bills if they act like the characters in at&t's commercials.

at&t as an entity is one selfish person, taking more & giving less, talking fast & never saying anything, a real buzz-kill guy to do business with...someone who in real-life would likely always have a black eye or swollen ear, someone you have to punch just because he's there & being a drag again.

i'm interested in the company i pay for services addressing this situation directly, i couldn't care less that the other companies are just as screwed up.

the community leaders around here should ask themselves this...wouldn't it be a lot more fun to be able to tell everyone why at&t is the best instead of why they're no worse than anyone else? haven't y'all set the bar kinda low for this company-sponsored forum?

i believe that the situation calls for a constant-medium-speed unlimited plan. if you can think of any

reason besides "less unearned profit" why this wouldn't work for everyone, please do tell.

this is a topic about at&t's relationship with it's customers.

it's not a topic about what other carriers are doing.

"everyone's doing it"...get a clue...it's off-topic, and too doggone common around these parts. 

clearly, at&t has no sense of a personal relationship with us who've stayed & paid, much less any sense of fair play in general.

the resources are overbooked, existing customers are losing ground monthly, new customers are exclaiming disappointment concerning claims of performance versus real performance. i'm on a so-called premium plan, and my tethered speeds halved after around 3.2GB, even during off-peak. i know that's not accidental. and o-m-g wait until people see some real-life data bills if they act like the characters in at&t's commercials.

at&t as an entity is one selfish person, taking more & giving less, talking fast & never saying anything, a real buzz-kill guy to do business with...someone who in real-life would likely always have a black eye or swollen ear, someone you have to punch just because he's there & being a drag again.

i'm interested in the company i pay for services addressing this situation directly, i couldn't care less that the other companies are just as screwed up.

the community leaders around here should ask themselves this...wouldn't it be a lot more fun to be able to tell everyone why at&t is the best instead of why they're no worse than anyone else? haven't y'all set the bar kinda low for this company-sponsored forum?

i believe that the situation calls for a constant-medium-speed unlimited plan. if you can think of any

reason besides "less unearned profit" why this wouldn't work for everyone, please do tell.

[ Edited ]
21 of 49 (3,490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2012 12:45:37 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just wonder what is going to happen in the next year or so when 4G becomes the norm, such as if an iPhone 5 comes out this year with 4G, they have to expect more and more people are going to be using the network and be using it more because when your internet is faster, you have more time to do more things while browsing. I understand 4G doesnt use more data, but with its increased download speeds, more and more people are going to have more time to download more apps and such. Oh god I dont want to imagine what is going to happen to this already terrible carrier.

I just wonder what is going to happen in the next year or so when 4G becomes the norm, such as if an iPhone 5 comes out this year with 4G, they have to expect more and more people are going to be using the network and be using it more because when your internet is faster, you have more time to do more things while browsing. I understand 4G doesnt use more data, but with its increased download speeds, more and more people are going to have more time to download more apps and such. Oh god I dont want to imagine what is going to happen to this already terrible carrier.

22 of 49 (3,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2012 12:50:21 PM
(0)
Tutor
My speed just for throttled at 2099 mb. After its throttled the 3G is USELESS. NOTHING LOADS. My email doesn't come through! This isn't fair! I'm paying $30 a month and halfway through the month I can't even use the network. I have a speedtest app and my speed went from 2.07 Mbps to 0.12 Mbps download speed. That's almost 20 times slower. And 3G is not even supposed to be as slow as 2.07, therefore my speed is slower than AT&T advertises. I'm canceling my service gaurenteed once my contract is up. Yes I know other carriers are the same regarding throttling. HOWEVER, AT&T treats their customers like garbage. WHY? 1. The customer service is Terrible. 2. They send ambiguous emails/ texts about the "top 5% of data users." TOP 5% of WHAT?
My speed just for throttled at 2099 mb. After its throttled the 3G is USELESS. NOTHING LOADS. My email doesn't come through! This isn't fair! I'm paying $30 a month and halfway through the month I can't even use the network. I have a speedtest app and my speed went from 2.07 Mbps to 0.12 Mbps download speed. That's almost 20 times slower. And 3G is not even supposed to be as slow as 2.07, therefore my speed is slower than AT&T advertises. I'm canceling my service gaurenteed once my contract is up. Yes I know other carriers are the same regarding throttling. HOWEVER, AT&T treats their customers like garbage. WHY? 1. The customer service is Terrible. 2. They send ambiguous emails/ texts about the "top 5% of data users." TOP 5% of WHAT?

23 of 49 (3,439 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2012 7:35:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

My phone has gone from my most valuable business asset, to being virtually useless.  Not only are all data applications now completely unusable, but my phone now drops calls constantly.  I had 7 dropped calls in less than 1 hour last night. 

All the carriers are doing this because they have realized, after subscribing users to "unlimited" data plans, that they could make more money if they forced users to pay for their data usage. 

I paid for a service that I am not getting, and ATT quoting me my original contract saying that they are allowed to reduce or cancel my service based on any harmful or malicious use is ridiculous.  ATT is basically saying that using their network is bad for their network.

Overnight, I have gone from proclaiming from the hilltops the usefulness and infinite potential of smartphones and applications, to despising my carrier and service everytime I look at my phone.

My phone has gone from my most valuable business asset, to being virtually useless.  Not only are all data applications now completely unusable, but my phone now drops calls constantly.  I had 7 dropped calls in less than 1 hour last night. 

All the carriers are doing this because they have realized, after subscribing users to "unlimited" data plans, that they could make more money if they forced users to pay for their data usage. 

I paid for a service that I am not getting, and ATT quoting me my original contract saying that they are allowed to reduce or cancel my service based on any harmful or malicious use is ridiculous.  ATT is basically saying that using their network is bad for their network.

Overnight, I have gone from proclaiming from the hilltops the usefulness and infinite potential of smartphones and applications, to despising my carrier and service everytime I look at my phone.

24 of 49 (3,410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2012 7:45:37 AM
(0)
Tutor
Please tell me that you aren't trying to convince me that just because everyone is doing it that it is ok?

I used to work for ATT, and I know exactly how their network functions. Increasing bandwidth of a fiber optic network isn't all that difficult. The problem is ATT's mismanagement and greed is putting them in a position to expect to profit off of growing their network, rather than grow the network to support the growing demand.

The real issue for the "unlimited" data plan holders is that the carriers have realized after the fact that allowing truly unlimited data usage will cost them more than they realized, and they are trying to screw us until we change to a new, metered data plan.
Please tell me that you aren't trying to convince me that just because everyone is doing it that it is ok?

I used to work for ATT, and I know exactly how their network functions. Increasing bandwidth of a fiber optic network isn't all that difficult. The problem is ATT's mismanagement and greed is putting them in a position to expect to profit off of growing their network, rather than grow the network to support the growing demand.

The real issue for the "unlimited" data plan holders is that the carriers have realized after the fact that allowing truly unlimited data usage will cost them more than they realized, and they are trying to screw us until we change to a new, metered data plan.

25 of 49 (3,410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2012 7:50:10 AM
(0)
Mentor

loving the technology and hating the supplier...i see an epidemic of this on the way.

here's where i'm at: i am not on a grandfathered plan, but i pay for a 4GB tethering plan. i've enjoyed pretty good speeds, 2.4Mbps and steady, on- or off-peak.

then, after about 3.2GB, my tethered speeds started to get spotty. at 3.4GB it became dead in the water. last night, with a 5-bar H+ signal, my AT&T Communication Manager gave me a popup i'd never seen before..."warning you are in a low signal area, and your speeds might be lower than normal." my speeds were non-existant! nothing would load.

after doing every reboot & reset that a qualified tech would try, i called and got through to a tech-support gal. she told me there was no throttling on my line. she also told me the problem was likely outdated software and corrupt drivers, and insisted if i upgraded BB DM and AT&T CM, my problem would go away.

using another isp, i went to see about updates, only to find the answer i already knew...all my software IS up to date.

are you ready for this?

within an hour of my phone call, my tethered speeds were again showing 2.6Mbps...but i myself hadn't changed one single thing!!!

ha! what do YOU think happened here?

loving the technology and hating the supplier...i see an epidemic of this on the way.

here's where i'm at: i am not on a grandfathered plan, but i pay for a 4GB tethering plan. i've enjoyed pretty good speeds, 2.4Mbps and steady, on- or off-peak.

then, after about 3.2GB, my tethered speeds started to get spotty. at 3.4GB it became dead in the water. last night, with a 5-bar H+ signal, my AT&T Communication Manager gave me a popup i'd never seen before..."warning you are in a low signal area, and your speeds might be lower than normal." my speeds were non-existant! nothing would load.

after doing every reboot & reset that a qualified tech would try, i called and got through to a tech-support gal. she told me there was no throttling on my line. she also told me the problem was likely outdated software and corrupt drivers, and insisted if i upgraded BB DM and AT&T CM, my problem would go away.

using another isp, i went to see about updates, only to find the answer i already knew...all my software IS up to date.

are you ready for this?

within an hour of my phone call, my tethered speeds were again showing 2.6Mbps...but i myself hadn't changed one single thing!!!

ha! what do YOU think happened here?

26 of 49 (3,408 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2012 7:56:13 PM
(0)
Contributor
I agree I've been with them pretty much since I've had a cell phone but this is the last straw! I hate u AT&T!
I agree I've been with them pretty much since I've had a cell phone but this is the last straw! I hate u AT&T!

27 of 49 (3,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2012 7:57:46 PM
(0)
Contributor
Screw AT&T. Keep punishing existing customers losers
Screw AT&T. Keep punishing existing customers losers

28 of 49 (3,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2012 8:04:03 PM
(0)
Contributor
I'm tired of this crap! You know what at least wait till its time for a contract upgrade to spring this crap on us! How about I start charging AT&T a customer dissatisfaction fee that balances out my crap speeds.
I'm tired of this crap! You know what at least wait till its time for a contract upgrade to spring this crap on us! How about I start charging AT&T a customer dissatisfaction fee that balances out my crap speeds.

29 of 49 (3,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2012 6:23:52 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by sbadawi on Feb 4, 2012 at 6:29:07 PM

AT&T is attempting to pull off a big scam on its loyal customers forcing them out of their unlimited data plans. What AT&T is doing is illegal and discriminatory against all its customers. Let me explain why by giving you the following example... Its well known by now that AT&T does not restrict customers with limited data plans... So if a person with unlimited data plan who pays $30 a month is punished and his/her speed is reduced after exceeding at 2G data usage, the remaining data usage (if the phone can actually be used at such low speeds) will be at much lower speeds. Alternatively a person who uses a limited data plan and which costs $20 a month and exceeds his/her limits and purchases an additional 1G for an additional $10 (hence paying $30 total a month like the unlimited plan customer) will continue to use a complete 1G of data at full speed. In other words two different people paying the same amount and not getting the same service!!!!

What is even worse is that AT&T doesn't have a particular cap.. which means there is a magic black box that they use to throttle your connection and can be applied to any unlimited plan user even if their data usage it'd exceed 1G... so what we have now is someone paying $30 for 1G of actual decent service...

This is like the water company telling  you that you are getting unlimited water supply to your house but you have to use it one drop at a time!!!!!!

AT&T is attempting to pull off a big scam on its loyal customers forcing them out of their unlimited data plans. What AT&T is doing is illegal and discriminatory against all its customers. Let me explain why by giving you the following example... Its well known by now that AT&T does not restrict customers with limited data plans... So if a person with unlimited data plan who pays $30 a month is punished and his/her speed is reduced after exceeding at 2G data usage, the remaining data usage (if the phone can actually be used at such low speeds) will be at much lower speeds. Alternatively a person who uses a limited data plan and which costs $20 a month and exceeds his/her limits and purchases an additional 1G for an additional $10 (hence paying $30 total a month like the unlimited plan customer) will continue to use a complete 1G of data at full speed. In other words two different people paying the same amount and not getting the same service!!!!

What is even worse is that AT&T doesn't have a particular cap.. which means there is a magic black box that they use to throttle your connection and can be applied to any unlimited plan user even if their data usage it'd exceed 1G... so what we have now is someone paying $30 for 1G of actual decent service...

This is like the water company telling  you that you are getting unlimited water supply to your house but you have to use it one drop at a time!!!!!!

[ Edited ]
30 of 49 (3,375 Views)