Reduced speed for top 5% data users !

Tutor

Reduced speed for top 5% data users !

[ Edited ]

What a bunch of crap ..... It's AT&T s way if saying{word filter evasion}To its loyal customers ! I've been with them for years and have 5 wireless lines , have had two business lines .... Dsl at work , uverse at home .... And now on my unlimited data wireless lines they reduce the speed saying I need to cut back !!!, my gf and I just cancelled our home line , canceled separate uverse acct ... Closed both biz lines last year and now will be closing 5 wireless lines as they come up for renewal !!! Nice try AT&T that's the way to reward loyal customers !!! Love the Link they send you too when you click on solutions .... Want you to buy a different data plan !!! Already had unlimited but !!!!! Metro ... Verizon here we come !!!

Message 1 of 49 (4,226 Views)
Contributor

Re: Reduced speed for top 5% data users !

Yeah the new data 30.00 for 3gigs minimum and I pay 30.00 for unlimited. To be "fair" just raise our 2gig throttle to 3gigs and I would be happy
Message 16 of 49 (3,792 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

that seems very fair.

if you think about it, a GREAT data-plan choice would be to remove the overage option from the current $30 3GB pack, and institute a radical (but minimally usable) throttle at the cap.

in other words, re-implement the so-called "unlimited" but have everyone on the same page up-front.

a great basic economy plan for "valued customers" who have to watch the budget, and definitely a public relations plus for AT&T.

you'd create a huge tier of users who are 1) never the top 5%, and 2) never complaining.

keep the premium data options on a pay as you go no throttle.

everyone's happy.

Message 17 of 49 (3,778 Views)
Contributor

Ive been throttled the last two months when ive never been throttled before. I looked at my usage this morning and its a little above 2 gigs. My own mother who isnt on an unlimited plan but has used more data than me isnt even throttled. Ive always thought it was a little unfair that us who have had unlimited data for the last 5 years and have never abused it are being punished. I know people who tether their phones and use 20 gigs of data. I mainly use my data to watch about 20 minutes of Netflix every night before I go to bed. Im unable to reach a wifi spot so Im using my 3G. Aside from the usual twitter and facebook every now and then, all I do is watch a tv show every night and Im throttled 18 days into my billing cycle. I think theres a conspiracy against the top 5% users. How is the top 5% of data users use only 2 gigs? They offer 2 gigs as a data plan, just doesnt add up to me.

But is it really that unrealistic of an expectation to pay $30 a month for 20 minutes of video a day?

Message 18 of 49 (3,669 Views)
Tutor

What is the top 5%?  How much data puts me in the top 5%?  I might receive a text message warning me that I am getting close, but how much more data am I actually allowed to use?  How much is my speed reduced?  I don't want to hear what it is equivalent to.  I want to know exactly what my data speeds now are. 

Any commercial ATT produces bragging about the speed of its network is basically a lie.  The network is only fast if nobody uses it!

There is no way for the consumer to verify what the "Top 5 percent" actually uses, and what data levels ATT deems acceptable.  This is merely an arbitrary degradation of service.  I signed a contract for an unlimited data plan.  I paid for a 4Gs iphone, but because I actually make use of my phone, ATT has decided that rather than pay to upgrade the capacity of its wireless network, it will simply degrade my service and save the money. 

This problem will only grow worse with time.  Anyone short-sighted enough to think that they "don't need that much bandwidth" should have their smartphone taken away from them now.  As new and more exciting Apps and other phone related data products are invented and offered, the data usage will continue to climb.  Throttling data speeds is a temporary fix for ATT that will only create a future nightmare.  More and more people will simply be unable to take advantage of the virtually limitless uses of a smartphone.  If you think that this doesn't apply to you, you are flat wrong. 

Message 19 of 49 (3,646 Views)
Expert

jdavidp wrote:

What is the top 5%?  How much data puts me in the top 5%?  I might receive a text message warning me that I am getting close, but how much more data am I actually allowed to use?  How much is my speed reduced?  I don't want to hear what it is equivalent to.  I want to know exactly what my data speeds now are. 

Any commercial ATT produces bragging about the speed of its network is basically a lie.  The network is only fast if nobody uses it!

There is no way for the consumer to verify what the "Top 5 percent" actually uses, and what data levels ATT deems acceptable.  This is merely an arbitrary degradation of service.  I signed a contract for an unlimited data plan.  I paid for a 4Gs iphone, but because I actually make use of my phone, ATT has decided that rather than pay to upgrade the capacity of its wireless network, it will simply degrade my service and save the money. 

This problem will only grow worse with time.  Anyone short-sighted enough to think that they "don't need that much bandwidth" should have their smartphone taken away from them now.  As new and more exciting Apps and other phone related data products are invented and offered, the data usage will continue to climb.  Throttling data speeds is a temporary fix for ATT that will only create a future nightmare.  More and more people will simply be unable to take advantage of the virtually limitless uses of a smartphone.  If you think that this doesn't apply to you, you are flat wrong. 

you do realize that att is not the only company that is throttling the unlimited data plan? Verizon is doing it to their grandfathered plan, now Virgin Mobile, a wholely owned company of Sprint has announced it ( a taste of what will come form the parent company Sprint maybe?), T-Mobiles unlimited everything plans have statements of how much data you recieve at full speed until you get throttled, even the lowly cricket restricts data speeds on their unlimited plan after a set amount. There is a reason all smartphones have a wifi connection, and the simple fact that wifi hotspots are springing up all over the plan.

The unthrottled, unlimited data plans are going by the wayside, even home broadband providers are capping the usage for their customers.

Message 20 of 49 (3,637 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

this is a topic about at&t's relationship with it's customers.

it's not a topic about what other carriers are doing.

"everyone's doing it"...get a clue...it's off-topic, and too doggone common around these parts. 

clearly, at&t has no sense of a personal relationship with us who've stayed & paid, much less any sense of fair play in general.

the resources are overbooked, existing customers are losing ground monthly, new customers are exclaiming disappointment concerning claims of performance versus real performance. i'm on a so-called premium plan, and my tethered speeds halved after around 3.2GB, even during off-peak. i know that's not accidental. and o-m-g wait until people see some real-life data bills if they act like the characters in at&t's commercials.

at&t as an entity is one selfish person, taking more & giving less, talking fast & never saying anything, a real buzz-kill guy to do business with...someone who in real-life would likely always have a black eye or swollen ear, someone you have to punch just because he's there & being a drag again.

i'm interested in the company i pay for services addressing this situation directly, i couldn't care less that the other companies are just as screwed up.

the community leaders around here should ask themselves this...wouldn't it be a lot more fun to be able to tell everyone why at&t is the best instead of why they're no worse than anyone else? haven't y'all set the bar kinda low for this company-sponsored forum?

i believe that the situation calls for a constant-medium-speed unlimited plan. if you can think of any

reason besides "less unearned profit" why this wouldn't work for everyone, please do tell.

Message 21 of 49 (3,678 Views)
Contributor

I just wonder what is going to happen in the next year or so when 4G becomes the norm, such as if an iPhone 5 comes out this year with 4G, they have to expect more and more people are going to be using the network and be using it more because when your internet is faster, you have more time to do more things while browsing. I understand 4G doesnt use more data, but with its increased download speeds, more and more people are going to have more time to download more apps and such. Oh god I dont want to imagine what is going to happen to this already terrible carrier.

Message 22 of 49 (3,653 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

My speed just for throttled at 2099 mb. After its throttled the 3G is USELESS. NOTHING LOADS. My email doesn't come through! This isn't fair! I'm paying $30 a month and halfway through the month I can't even use the network. I have a speedtest app and my speed went from 2.07 Mbps to 0.12 Mbps download speed. That's almost 20 times slower. And 3G is not even supposed to be as slow as 2.07, therefore my speed is slower than AT&T advertises. I'm canceling my service gaurenteed once my contract is up. Yes I know other carriers are the same regarding throttling. HOWEVER, AT&T treats their customers like garbage. WHY? 1. The customer service is Terrible. 2. They send ambiguous emails/ texts about the "top 5% of data users." TOP 5% of WHAT?
Message 23 of 49 (3,627 Views)
Tutor

My phone has gone from my most valuable business asset, to being virtually useless.  Not only are all data applications now completely unusable, but my phone now drops calls constantly.  I had 7 dropped calls in less than 1 hour last night. 

All the carriers are doing this because they have realized, after subscribing users to "unlimited" data plans, that they could make more money if they forced users to pay for their data usage. 

I paid for a service that I am not getting, and ATT quoting me my original contract saying that they are allowed to reduce or cancel my service based on any harmful or malicious use is ridiculous.  ATT is basically saying that using their network is bad for their network.

Overnight, I have gone from proclaiming from the hilltops the usefulness and infinite potential of smartphones and applications, to despising my carrier and service everytime I look at my phone.

Message 24 of 49 (3,598 Views)
Tutor

Please tell me that you aren't trying to convince me that just because everyone is doing it that it is ok?

I used to work for ATT, and I know exactly how their network functions. Increasing bandwidth of a fiber optic network isn't all that difficult. The problem is ATT's mismanagement and greed is putting them in a position to expect to profit off of growing their network, rather than grow the network to support the growing demand.

The real issue for the "unlimited" data plan holders is that the carriers have realized after the fact that allowing truly unlimited data usage will cost them more than they realized, and they are trying to screw us until we change to a new, metered data plan.
Message 25 of 49 (3,598 Views)
Mentor

loving the technology and hating the supplier...i see an epidemic of this on the way.

here's where i'm at: i am not on a grandfathered plan, but i pay for a 4GB tethering plan. i've enjoyed pretty good speeds, 2.4Mbps and steady, on- or off-peak.

then, after about 3.2GB, my tethered speeds started to get spotty. at 3.4GB it became dead in the water. last night, with a 5-bar H+ signal, my AT&T Communication Manager gave me a popup i'd never seen before..."warning you are in a low signal area, and your speeds might be lower than normal." my speeds were non-existant! nothing would load.

after doing every reboot & reset that a qualified tech would try, i called and got through to a tech-support gal. she told me there was no throttling on my line. she also told me the problem was likely outdated software and corrupt drivers, and insisted if i upgraded BB DM and AT&T CM, my problem would go away.

using another isp, i went to see about updates, only to find the answer i already knew...all my software IS up to date.

are you ready for this?

within an hour of my phone call, my tethered speeds were again showing 2.6Mbps...but i myself hadn't changed one single thing!!!

ha! what do YOU think happened here?

Message 26 of 49 (3,596 Views)
Contributor

I agree I've been with them pretty much since I've had a cell phone but this is the last straw! I hate u AT&T!
Message 27 of 49 (3,585 Views)
Contributor

Screw AT&T. Keep punishing existing customers losers
Message 28 of 49 (3,585 Views)
Contributor

I'm tired of this crap! You know what at least wait till its time for a contract upgrade to spring this crap on us! How about I start charging AT&T a customer dissatisfaction fee that balances out my crap speeds.
Message 29 of 49 (3,585 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

AT&T is attempting to pull off a big scam on its loyal customers forcing them out of their unlimited data plans. What AT&T is doing is illegal and discriminatory against all its customers. Let me explain why by giving you the following example... Its well known by now that AT&T does not restrict customers with limited data plans... So if a person with unlimited data plan who pays $30 a month is punished and his/her speed is reduced after exceeding at 2G data usage, the remaining data usage (if the phone can actually be used at such low speeds) will be at much lower speeds. Alternatively a person who uses a limited data plan and which costs $20 a month and exceeds his/her limits and purchases an additional 1G for an additional $10 (hence paying $30 total a month like the unlimited plan customer) will continue to use a complete 1G of data at full speed. In other words two different people paying the same amount and not getting the same service!!!!

What is even worse is that AT&T doesn't have a particular cap.. which means there is a magic black box that they use to throttle your connection and can be applied to any unlimited plan user even if their data usage it'd exceed 1G... so what we have now is someone paying $30 for 1G of actual decent service...

This is like the water company telling  you that you are getting unlimited water supply to your house but you have to use it one drop at a time!!!!!!

Message 30 of 49 (3,563 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.