Receiving overseas call

Receiving overseas call

Hi All,

I am currently on the 10cents/min GoPhone plan. I would like to find out if I can receive calls from an overseas location automatically, or will I need to activate some service or anything?

Also, will I incur overseas charges when receiving overseas call on the GoPhone plan, say from Singapore? Will I be charged at 10 cents/min or 89 cents/min (the rate for calling from Singapore on the GoPhone)?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9 (429 Views)
ACE - Guru

Re: Receiving overseas call

[ Edited ]

Hi, Your Gophone pay as you go won't work in Singapore. (Roaming)

The only place on Earth @ Late September 2011, Gophone Pay as you go roaming works are Mexico and {NOW } Canada!!

AT&T  won't charge you 10/cents/ min , your 10 cents/ min plan won't work as soon as you leave USA and Roaming!!! It cost for voice call US$0.39 cents + long distance per min!! (Please check with AT&T and see if I am correct)

Of couse,if you pick up your calls in USA (Not roaming) ,you will only get charge US 0.10/min.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9 (424 Views)

[ Edited ]

stormcontrol wrote:

Hi All,

I am currently on the 10cents/min GoPhone plan. I would like to find out if I can receive calls from an overseas location automatically, or will I need to activate some service or anything?

Also, will I incur overseas charges when receiving overseas call on the GoPhone plan, say from Singapore? Will I be charged at 10 cents/min or 89 cents/min (the rate for calling from Singapore on the GoPhone)?

Thanks!

Hello StormControl,

[AdidasKid above got his answer confused, as he assumed incorrectly that you were asking about roaming internationally, in this case Singapur.  It happens.]

When receiving calls, domestic or international (it does not make any difference the point of origination), you will be charged only 10cents-minute off your GoPhone Plan.  Be assured that it is the calling party the only one that incurs international toll charges, never the called parted.

[Note that this is different from international text messages either sourced from or destined to the US, where the US endpoint is charged international toll charges, if the plan lacks international coverage for the country in question.]

Message 3 of 9 (422 Views)
ACE - Guru

[ Edited ]

Hi Stormcontrol,

Thanks for the correction, as soon as I see "Singapore" on StormControl Msg, I think he/she mean roaming Smiley Very Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 9 (415 Views)

Thank you all!

Message 5 of 9 (402 Views)

You are welcome, Storm Control.

Message 6 of 9 (390 Views)
Master

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

stormcontrol wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks!

Hello StormControl,

[AdidasKid above got his answer confused, as he assumed incorrectly that you were asking about roaming internationally, in this case Singapur.  It happens.]

When receiving calls, domestic or international (it does not make any difference the point of origination), you will be charged only 10cents-minute off your GoPhone Plan.  Be assured that it is the calling party the only one that incurs international toll charges, never the called parted.

[Note that this is different from international text messages either sourced from or destined to the US, where the US endpoint is charged international toll charges, if the plan lacks international coverage for the country in question.]

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment here - but as long as you are in the US, then receiving SMS is never charged at anything other than the domestic messaging rates (PPU or deducted from a package) as well - regardless of where the sending phone is located. 

If you are physically in another country and you receive an SMS (which is not possible outside of Canada and Mexico on at&t's prepaid service anyway), then you would be charged an international "roaming" fee for receipt of the SMS.

Sending SMS to international locations (while you are located in the US) is what is covered under the international component of the prepaid Talk & Text plans or a separate international messaging plan.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 7 of 9 (379 Views)

10-4.

Your rate explanation for texting makes sense, hme83, as talk and texting are both "talk-band" technologies.  So, thanks for checking my earlier post and correcting my wrong ways.

Message 8 of 9 (375 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

10-4.

Your rate explanation for texting makes sense, hme83, as talk and texting are both "talk-band" technologies.  So, thanks for checking my earlier post and correcting my wrong ways.

You're welcome.  I'd never associated it to their both being GSM technologies before, but that certainly would make sense/contribute as well. Smiley Happy 

It's been explained to me (and is how I "logically" keep it straight) as that it's only in the US where both parties to the transaction pay for the service.  In other countries only the sending party is charged (the entire price) for the transaction - so phone calls and SMS are incoming at no charge to the recipient in the rest of the world.  And since the sending party is paying for the entire cost of the transaction (when the call/SMS are coming to the US from an internationally based phone number), at&t *generously* only charges us (as the recipient) at the domestic incoming rate - when we should really not pay anything. Smiley Sad

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 9 of 9 (372 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.