Receiving MMS

Receiving MMS

Ok...  I understand MMS won't be active from AT&T until sometime late summer.  Previously not only could I not send MMS but whenever someone would send one to me, I'd get a text message notifying me of a picture message waiting to be viewed online.  Will that continue now that I've upgraded to OS 3.0 until MMS becomes fully active??  I did a test after upgrading my iPhone this afternoon.  I sent myself a pic message from a friend's Verizon BB but didn't receive anything.  Does anyone know anything about this??  I figured at least now that we have copy and paste I could at least go online via the iPhone and look at whatever pic was sent to me.  And not have to wait till I get to a computer.  A little better but barely.  But if I'm not even going to be notified.......  

Someone help me out with this...  has anyone else tried??  Is the test pic I sent myself just lost in MMS space for good??  Will any other pics sent my way be as well??   

Message 1 of 28 (3,092 Views)
Professor

Re: Receiving MMS

yes you will get that viewmymessage text message.
Message 2 of 28 (3,081 Views)
Scholar

I've had the phone since August and have never once gotten the viewmymessage link when people have sent me MMS.  Is there a reason I don't get the message?  I get no notification that I have received one.  For those that send pictures frequently I have told to email me instead, but I'm just wondering if there is anyway for me to get the viewmymessage text.
Message 3 of 28 (3,064 Views)

Doppler808 wrote:
How do you know??  Have you tried it after the upgrade??  Cause I have and still haven't received any kind of notice.  Is it lost??  Perhaps I should get a different friend to try sending me something...  

Message 4 of 28 (3,051 Views)
Scholar

SwingKid76 wrote:

Doppler808 wrote:
How do you know??  Have you tried it after the upgrade??  Cause I have and still haven't received any kind of notice.  Is it lost??  Perhaps I should get a different friend to try sending me something...  

From ATT:

"MMS: 

AT&T will enable MMS for iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS after launch in late summer 2009, after completing system upgrades to ensure that our customers have the best experience with MMS. These upgrades are unrelated to our 3G network, and when MMS is ready, we will contact customers to let them know that they are able to connect to iTunes, where they will be prompted to download a software update. This update will enable customers to seamlessly send and receive picture and video messaging like they do on other AT&T devices.   AT&T is improving our MMS network to ensure the best MMS experience for our iPhone users. These improvements are unrelated to our 3G network. Until late summer 2009, iPhone customers can continue to use the View My Message website experience for receiving incoming MMS."

Message 5 of 28 (3,040 Views)
Professor

I have the GM build, and also been through all the beta builds, and I always get the viewmymessage text.  It could be a network problem from your friends BB(if he's with another carrier).  At times my cousin from CT sends me stuff and it takes me a day to 4 days to receive MMS from her.
Message 6 of 28 (3,024 Views)

kgipp wrote:

SwingKid76 wrote:

Doppler808 wrote:

From ATT:

"MMS: 

AT&T will enable MMS for iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS after launch in late summer 2009, after completing system upgrades to ensure that our customers have the best experience with MMS. These upgrades are unrelated to our 3G network, and when MMS is ready, we will contact customers to let them know that they are able to connect to iTunes, where they will be prompted to download a software update. This update will enable customers to seamlessly send and receive picture and video messaging like they do on other AT&T devices.   AT&T is improving our MMS network to ensure the best MMS experience for our iPhone users. These improvements are unrelated to our 3G network. Until late summer 2009, iPhone customers can continue to use the View My Message website experience for receiving incoming MMS."

Thanks for that Kgipp.  Curious tho... would there be a reason I didn't get a txt about the pic I tried sending to me??  Did it get lost??  I have noticed that sometimes I don't get txts from people at random times... perhaps I need to contact AT&T about that.  But thanks for posting this!

Message 7 of 28 (3,015 Views)

Doppler808 wrote:
I have the GM build, and also been through all the beta builds, and I always get the viewmymessage text.  It could be a network problem from your friends BB(if he's with another carrier).  At times my cousin from CT sends me stuff and it takes me a day to 4 days to receive MMS from her.
Up to 4 Days?!?  Thats hardly acceptable!  But yeah I've experienced that myself...  the test image I tried sending me if from Verizon.  

Message 8 of 28 (2,999 Views)
Professor

SwingKid76 wrote:

Doppler808 wrote:
Up to 4 Days?!?  Thats hardly acceptable!  But yeah I've experienced that myself...  the test image I tried sending me if from Verizon.  

My cousin is with Verizon too.  I have no trouble with any provider other than Verizon when it comes to MMS.  I can receive ones from overseas faster than ones from Verizon.

Message 9 of 28 (2,987 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

kgipp wrote:
I've had the phone since August and have never once gotten the viewmymessage link when people have sent me MMS.  Is there a reason I don't get the message?  I get no notification that I have received one.  For those that send pictures frequently I have told to email me instead, but I'm just wondering if there is anyway for me to get the viewmymessage text.
i am with you....i have never received notification to go to a viewmymessage link. 

Message 10 of 28 (2,961 Views)
Contributor

why am i not getting a view my message text either.
Message 11 of 28 (1,552 Views)
Professor

I received it, maybe the first month I had the iPhone. After that -- for the last 8 months, I never got it again. Which is fine with me. Virtually everything I have heard about the viewmymessages setup has been completely bad. I just use the email function to send my pictures to web-enabled cellphones, or I just use the "Quip" app. Much, much easier and dependable to use either of those.
Message 12 of 28 (1,531 Views)

I hope it is late summer, AT&T always seems to be very late on many things when they are supposed to be out at a certain time. "Late Summer" Can be Sept or with their reccord Dec.
Message 13 of 28 (1,513 Views)
Professor

mygrace wrote:

kgipp wrote:
i am with you....i have never received notification to go to a viewmymessage link. 

I am with you, too. I have never received it. I've heard something about it not being provisioned on the account ( I have the unlimited messaging) but honestly, I get them so infrequently, I haven't been moved to call in and find out about it. I suppose I will when I have an hour to kill on hold, have a rep tell me they don't know what I'm talking about, then wait another hour for another rep to tell me she/he doesnt know why the previous rep told me that etc etc etc. By the time they get me where I need to go it will be 9 PM and I'll get the message that they are now closed! I don't have time to call during the day, so yeah, this has happened to me a few times.
Message 14 of 28 (1,471 Views)
Voyager

It sounds to me like the person that setup your account didn't set it up for the iphone but for any other normal phone with sms and mms.  It happened to me also and I wasn't getting the notices about mms sent to my phone until I called and they changed the options over to the iphone mms option which then started sending me the messages. 
Message 15 of 28 (1,437 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.