Reasoning/Debate on AT&T merge

ACE - Professor

Reasoning/Debate on AT&T merge

Hey guys,

I'm a current T-Mobile customer and wanted to have a nice reasonable debate with the AT&T community to see how you guys are taking this recent news and for your opinions regarding this merge. Also, I've seen a couple of T-Mobile customers running around here, and thought it would only be fair to get your thought on this. Please keep it nice though.

My objective is to start a nice debate/ reasoning regarding this. I've been thinking about this the last few days, and I've seen more pro's that can actually come out of this. For example, if you are under a 2 year contract and must upgrade your phone later on to AT&It's bandwidth speeds, can't anyone just upgrade for free or for little or no cost within 13 months into their contract? The short answer would be yes, it's possible and with AT&T and T-Mobile becoming one company, this would just make it a lot easier, no?

Another point might be the rate plans. Before, any negative comments, I've read that AT&T does plan to keep T-Mobiles pricing structure. I realize that they do plan to take off the unlimited data plans and such, but when really thinking about it, does someone actually go over the 5GB limit? Does anyone go over 4GB? I really do not think anybody does, although some may argue that they are close. Unlimited is already offered on AT&It's network so I do not think they will plan on removing that any time in the future.

I've seen many people argue regarding AT&It's customer service. While I am not picking any sides regarding this, my best saying is " a customer calls support to report an issue." With this said, sometimes might get inpatient or raises their voice without realizing it. Think about this for a second. Has there ever been a time where you think you may have gotten inpatient on the phone with a representative? I'm pretty sure it's happened to many, including myself as an ex-AT&T customer, but most of the time, they were just as helpful as T-Mobiles customer service was.

A third issue I've seen is that some users have been AT&T customers and described past experiences with them as a company. What most people are not realizing now is that was the AT&T from the past and this is the present, and as such, may well deserve a second chance. I mean, the service will be better due to the additional towers, you have a nice variety of phones due to upgrades (current T-Mobile customers) or new lines (new customers). Think about this for a second, what exactly is so bad about AT&T? Do you think they deserve a second chance?

These are my 2 cents. Please let it note that I am NOT an employee of either company or defending either of them. These are my own opinions regarding the matter. I hope everyone enjoys the read. :smileyhappy:

P.S. - If the moderators or admins deem this thread inappropriate, please feel free to lock it or merge it to a simlar topic please. Smiley Happy

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 22 (823 Views)
Professor

Re: Reasoning/Debate on AT&T merge

At&t will keep the structure, for a while.  When Cingular bought at&t, the old at&t plans were honored, and are still being honored now.  They do, however, require moving to a new at&t plan (Cingular plan) for phone upgrades.

Most people do not go over 4GB, but data usage is increasing rapidly.  In the future, 4GB may not be that much.

At&t customer service.  What can we say?  It stinks.  I know that, and I just accept that you have to go a few rounds to get anything done.  Luckily, I only have to deal with it once every 2 or 3 years, and then only when I make changes to my account.  Outside of botched changes to my account (which happen on most changes), I don't have to deal with them.

I have been with at&t since the SW Bell days, through Cingular, and now to at&t.  Previously I was with Cellular One and Alltel.  The national coverage is great (I rarely can't get through, anywhere in the country I travel) and the cost is not a lot higher (but yes, a little higher).  I have been and continue to be a fairly satisfied customer.  Not saying they are great, but the only other carrier I would even consider would be Verizon, and I see no reason to switch.

I anticipate that T-Mobile cuatomers will get as good or better service once at&t takes over.  I would expect the bills to be a little higher once you switch to an at&t plan, if you switch to one.

Message 2 of 22 (780 Views)
ACE - Professor

Hi FredW. Smiley Happy

Thank you very much for your opinion, it is highly appreciated. Smiley Happy

I actually had no idea such plans were still being honored, I guess you learn something new everyday, right? Smiley Wink I've actually prepared for this and found the perfect Android phone with a nice plan, similar to T-Mobile's, perhaps $10 more, no biggie there. Smiley Happy I actually do not mind the merge, if it means better wireless signals etc, I actually welcome the change. Smiley Happy

You are also indeed right about the data. Most people do not go over 4GB or 2GB for that matter, but are still making quite the argument for unlimited web. As you said, the internet is always changing and later on 4GB may not be much, but I'm sure the correct accomodations will be made and introduced when that time arrives.

Once again, I appreciate your opinion on this. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Smiley Happy I hope we can get a few more replies from some users and mods themselves. Smiley Happy

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 22 (765 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Evandela

At my work I have to constantly deal with AT&Terrible on a monthly basis.  If they aren't trying to mess with our bill, they are trying to send someone out to install a dsl line that we've had for over 8 years now!  Ugh! I've not come across ANY nice cust serv reps and it took me 4 months to lock in this pricing after AT&Terrible tried to wiggle out of it.  I had to threaten to bring in a lawyer as I have everything in writing.  AT&Terrible made me fax all the stuff I had in writing to them and after 4 months FINALLY backed down and let us get the plan that we were promised.  When I finally wanted to praise the very last cust serv rep for his outstanding service to his supervisor, she got on the phone and was EXTREMELY rude and said "I've been helping him with this so I already know.  Anything else?" 

NO, BUT I MEAN { word filter evasion } NO AT&TERRIBLE DOES NOT DESERVE A 2ND CHANCE NOR WILL I EVER GIVE THEM ONE! 

Message 4 of 22 (762 Views)
ACE - Professor

Hey Crystalno. Smiley Happy

I believe I've ran into you a couple of times on the T-Mobile forums. Smiley Happy Anyway, on-topic, I thank you for your opinion. Smiley Happy

I'm no representative, but let me be the first to apologize for all of those run arounds. I'm sure it's happened to other people before, but their wireless service is indeed good, though I am not saying they can skyrocket plan prices or charge hidden fees etc. Not every customer representative is like that, there are actually a few nice ones. I read one this morning that can prove this. Smiley Happy They had the same run around and the representative helped the person get everything in order. To protect the user's privacy, I will not mention on which board I saw it on, but it was true customer service. Smiley Happy

Thank you once again for your opinion on this. Hopefully we can have a few users and mods post their opinions on this as well. Smiley Happy

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 22 (754 Views)
Professor

I am a customer of both AT&T and T-Mobile. 

The one good thing that I will say about AT&T is that AT&T Mobility (current company) has been better to me than AT&T Wireless (2005 and prior company) was.  So, things have improved over what it used to be in this passage of time.

I have to say that T-Mobile was the pro-customer company.  I went to them late 2010 when I wanted an Android phone.  I will list the reasons:

1.  T-Mobile allows for the sideloading of apps-AT&T doesn't

2.  T-Mobile allows customers to pay a lower monthly price if they buy the device at full price-AT&T doesn't

3.  T-Mobile allows for smartphone users that are not on contract to not have a data plan-AT&T doesn't

4.  T-Mobile still offered the unlimited data plan for new activations-AT&T doesn't

5.  My bill for my monthly services was far cheaper than anything AT&T will offer.

6.  I found that T-Mobile employees were enthusiastic about cell phones.  AT&T employees want to sell you something more.  There are exceptions on both sides, of course.

Walking into a T-Mobile store was like walking into home.  The employees there came to know me by name and know my enthusiasm for cell phones.  Even when they knew that I was not going to buy anything that day, they made me feel like a family member, a well-liked family member at that.  I have one AT&T store that approaches this level, the Lanham, MD store.  All others that I have been in leave a lot to be desired.  The worst feeling that I have gotten in a T-Mobile store was coolly polite. This was in a store that I do not frequent, so I understand the lack of familiarity.

I say all this to say that as a consumer, I am saddened that the cellular provider landscape in this country will go from four to three.  I'm also saddened that the one that put customers first came out last in business standing.  I will wait and see what to do about my Android phones.  For my iPhone, I will remain an AT&T customer.

Message 6 of 22 (730 Views)
Professor

One thing that I forgot to add is that I am very satisfied with my current network coverage from T-Mobile.  There is no improvement for me to gain in this acquisition by AT&T.  I'm sure that this is based on my location, and will not be the same for everyone.

Message 7 of 22 (725 Views)
Master

I have to say after currently going through a forced transition to AT&T from the markets AT&T purchased from Verizon in Verizon/Alltel merger. These markets were sold by Verizon to comply with the orders received from the FCC.

RUN THE HECK AWAY FROM AT&T!! Their comparable choices were anything but. The date of planned transition has moved back not once but twice. The coverage map (what little I believe of it) doesn't cover the entire Cellular Market Area (CMA) that AT&T supposedly purchased. The store model phones are getting slower 3G then what I get now on my supposed slower EDVO 3G connection. Ugh!
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 22 (717 Views)
ACE - Professor

Hey there 21stnow,

Thank you very much for your input. Smiley Happy

That's quite the experience! I have heard of this being the case when walking into an AT&T store, but I can resist it. Smiley Wink

I am also very satisfied with T-Mobile and it does saddens me that the number of total major carriers will reduce to 3 in the near future if this deal is approved. If this deal is approved and I must upgrade my phone, I guess I will settle for a 4G capable Android or similar. One thing I do like about AT&T is that they allow you to speak on the phone and use the web at the same time, not many carriers do that yet hehe.

Regarding the "Company that put customer first" comment, it's funny but someone on the T-Mobile forums mentioned this as well, and mentioned that the company itself is closing due to what the customers like best, such as the things you mentioned in your post and their rate plans. It's kind of ironic and sad, but it's true. Smiley Sad

Once again I thank you for your feedback regarding this. Smiley Happy

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 22 (695 Views)
ACE - Professor

Hi Ann154,

Thank you so much for your input. Your feedback is appreciated. Smiley Happy

Like I mentioned in my post, I don't mind much that T-Mobile is merging with AT&T, in fact, I welcome it for a number of reasons.

I've heard of T-Mobile's future not being too bright if the deal is not approved.

Let's take this into perspective for a moment. So let's say the AT&T deal did not go through. Let's say the Sprint or Verizon deal did not go through (these are examples for this scenario). As we all are aware, T-Mobile does not have the current fund to deploy 4G LTE and is struggling to send it's parent company, "Deutsche Telekom", a decent amount of funds. What would happen to the US division? The parent company could choose to shut down the whole T-Mobile USA operation completely and I am sure none of us would like to see that occur anytime soon.

A second thing they can do is actually raise rate plan prices to help them stay afloat. A lot of people love T-Mobile for their prices in plans and customer service, myself included, but imagine if this was to happen. I'm sure not too many people would like that either.

I do not think they much options left, it was either accept or slow termination. Many of us are not liking AT&T for prices on plans and customer service, but I think I would rather see T-Mobile merge with AT&T rather than not existing at all.

Once again, I would like to thank you for your opinion. Hopefully we can get more users and mods to post their opinions. Smiley Happy

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 22 (687 Views)
Master

What else is there to say? Smiley Wink I think that T-Mobile customers can and will benefit from this transition. It may seem very overwhelming and stressful at first, but everything is going to play out pretty smoothly, at least I think.

If I were a T-Mobile customer, I wouldn't necessarily be all that...excited about this transition, but I would take it as an opportunity to experience what other carriers are like, the service they offer, and the terms and plans there are to choose from. It really would be quite different from what you're used to. It's almost like a scavenger hunt in a way.

I think T-Mobile customers should play along with what is going to happen, even if they do not particularly like/enjoy the new changes. They still have the initial thirty-day trial to give AT&T cellular service a try, and that's more than enough time to decide whether or not to stay. If they enjoy it, stick with it and be happy. If not, so be it. Maybe transitioning T-Mobile customers will find better service somewhere else.

Overall, I think T-Mobile customers should play along and see what happens with this transition. You never know - you may indeed like what is/is going to be happening.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 11 of 22 (618 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

This is the fundamental difference that will irritate some T-Mobile smartphone customers (who, for some odd reason, AT&T's CEO doesn't think exist).  If you use a smartphone on AT&T, a data plan is automatically added if one is not already present.  That alone will increase a T-Mobile smartphone user's monthly bill by at least $15.  I don't see AT&T making a change in their system that will allow smartphones to be used without a data plan.  Because we had that freedom with T-Mobile, if we were not on contract, that will be a materially adverse change to the T-Mobile user's original TOS.

The second difference that I have never understood is why AT&T doesn't allow the sideloading of apps on Android phones.  I can't say that this is a material difference across the board.  However, I would be upset if I bought an Android phone that didn't come with Swype, and AT&T blocked the download.  I use Swype multiple times a day on my phone.  The only reason that I buy phones that don't come with it already is that I can add Swype by sideloading it.  With an AT&T phone, this is not possible.

Even though there are about 2,500 angry posts about being bought out by AT&T, I think that almost half of T-Mobile's customers are content to follow your suggestion Wild Banchi.  The other half will bail for another carrier, because of prior experience with AT&T.  I know that my experience is unique, in that I am a current customer of both carriers.  But, I may take my Android addiction to Sprint next year.  I am sitting tight for now.

Message 12 of 22 (610 Views)
ACE - Professor

Hey Wild Banchi,

Thanks so much for your views on this matter! It is very appreciated. Smiley Happy

As a T-Mobile customer, I am not all that excited about this transition as you mentioned, but I am definitely willing to give AT&T another try. Yes, that's right, another try, though it was the Oldddd extinct AT&T that was a problem lol. Smiley Happy

As you probably may have noticed, the T-Mobile forums are flooded at the moment with this topic, more like rants and opposition and such, but as you said, I think it would be best if everyone, including the one's running around here, to just wait and see how this all will play out.

Overall, AT&T is not a bad company at all. It is the 2nd best providing coverage areas in the US and as I mentioned in my previous post, if this deal does not go through, either way, it is not a very bright future for T-Mobile as they do not have the current funds to deploy LTE.  You read my mind lets say hehe. Smiley Wink

Thank you so much once again for your feedback! Hopefully we can get more users to post their opinions here. Smiley Happy

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 22 (609 Views)
ACE - Professor

Hey again 21stNow,

I completely agree with your statement regarding the data plans. It's disappointing to see that AT&T does not offer this option and on top of that block sideloading applications. Customers indeed that freedom on the T-Mobile network, but as there was discussion about this among users on the forums, some brought up the point that for the many reasons that we love T-Mobile, it may very well be the same reason it cannot continue to compete as a independent company. While it could be difficult for some users to comprehend this, it's a big possibility. It's kind of ironic. Smiley Sad

Though I'm not completely sure how exactly AT&T android phones work on this network, I think I would be willing to try it out first. Smiley Happy

Thanks youe opinions everyone! Hopefully we can get more users to post! Smiley Happy

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 22 (599 Views)
Master

I am still willing to give AT&T a try with my transition from Verizon (some of the Verizon markets were sold in the Verizon/Alltel merger) to AT&T. I am not holding my breath though. I needed cell coverage in rural parts of my state and Verizon or Alltel had coverage there. I choose Verizon at the time and kept them. Based on the coverage maps, Sprint was iffy. AT&T was roaming on a partner or non-existent. T-Mobile supposedly has coverage in the cities here, but there isn't any stores unless you count Best Buy.

I hope AT&T provides the similar coverage they say they are supposed to provide as part of my transition.

Either way T-Mobile customers have a potentially bumping ride ahead. I wish you all luck.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 22 (598 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.