Real-world Edge performance

Mentor

Re: Real-world Edge performance

"Fine, keep using wap to connect to the internet. "

Keep using?  I didn't say that.  I really don't understand your comment about incurring large bills.  I've used it many times sans fees.

"Sierra Wireless instead of Watcher? "
3g watcher software by Sierra Wireless.

"it might be a power management issue.  Try disabling selective suspend on the USB Root Hub."
For a network card that isn't connected via USB?

Message 16 of 36
Mentor

The USB issue is not a problem with the 860 card, The 875 it could be because the divers use USB even though its not connected to USB
Tom
Message 17 of 36
Mentor

Nobody's mentioned it, but is there a program I could run to diagnose where/why this disconnection is being made?

I'll do some google searching.. I know I used to have a Tracer program that showed all the connection points to my destination. 
Message 18 of 36
Mentor

Check in device manager and see how many modems are listed under modems and check ports com lpt and see how many are listed for sierra wireless,should be 4
Message 19 of 36
Mentor

In Device mgr:

2:.  HSDPA and 3g Modems.

In ports:
4 Sierra Wirelss Application interface -on Com 6,8, 9, 10

Message Edited by oldman_ii on 03-16-2008 07:20:02 AM
Message 20 of 36
Mentor

Man aint this frustrating just spent 30 minutes typing step by step instructions to streighten out your system and when I clicked submit it went to computer heaven.
 I will try it again but this time type it out elseware and copy paste it here. Not the first time its happend
 Tom
Message 21 of 36
Mentor

OK your ports are ok but you have 1 tomany modems listed, what you want to do is go back to device
manager click modems and right click on one of the modems click properties click tab diagnostics then
querry modem, do this on both modems the one that doesnt report back after querry is the one that you
delete or uninstall.
 Next delete the dial up connection the software created, In internet explorer click tools then internet
options then connections tab, should be in list somthing like 3G connection, click it then click remove
botton
 Next open windows firewall in control panel, now it depends on what flavor of windows your running but
what you want to do is add ATT connection manager to list of allowed programs, when you click on browse
it would be in C:/ progams / ATT / ATTCM.exe  and add it to list of allowed programs, check to make sure
sierra connection manager is in list allso, it should be there allready if not add it to.
 After this you want to use a connection profile of  APN  isp.cingular  no user name or password and
 dial#   *99***1#  this is for the edge network
 You can allso create a dialup connection it windows instead of eather CM's by using isp.cingular as the name
no user name or password  with  *99***1# as the phone number. Just make sure you dont run eather CM before
trying to use it, it wont work, if you do reboot and when green light is on on the 860 card click the dialup connection
isp.cingular and connect. The only draw back on the dial up connection is if you go back to using eather
CM internet explorer wants to use the dial up by defalt.
 Tom
Message 22 of 36
Mentor

Wow.. thanks Taz.  I'll copy these off and give it a go.  Sorry you lost your first post... hate when that happens.  Are you saying the reason for my problems is the modem configuration?

I'm in S TX and getting Gprs!  IT works, but it's real slow.

Message Edited by oldman_ii on 03-18-2008 06:49:21 AM
Message 23 of 36
Mentor

I'm in Amarillo TX and, finally,  Edge is working great!  -54dbm, Excellent, no dropped connections.  See.. see.. you have to be in an urban area. 

I still haven't made those modem changes but I promise I'll try.  Actually I don't like messing with things when they're working.

Message Edited by oldman_ii on 03-27-2008 06:18:32 AM
Message 24 of 36
Mentor

I have made the changes recommended above with no apparent benefit.

Lake Mead, NV.
-67dbm, Edge service.
Sometimes connects quickly, sometimes takes 3-5 minutes to connect.  Says "Connecting to Cingular Accelerated" for minutes and minutes.   If it does finally connect, I may not be able to find any web pages.  It just says "finding site...<url> " .   Never finds it, displays Page cannot be found.  This can go on for an hour.

After I'm connected, but not finding web pages, I click the Disconnect button.  It can take upwards of one minute to disconnect.
This behavior seems to be worse in the afternoon.  It gets really stubborn and makes me wait a long time to get on.  I'm in a sparsely populated campground.  I've tried pulling the card and reinserting, and rebooting.

I'm am not a fan of Edge service.
Message 25 of 36
Mentor

From what I understand cingular accelerated doesnt work any more, Have you tryed non accelerated?  What CM are you using?
The new AT&T 6.7 CM does seem to work a little better.  You could try creating a manual dialup account in windows and see if it helps in the area youre in .  AT&T or isp.cingular as name and *99***1# as phone #  no user name or password and try it if it stiil doesnt work enter ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM  as user name and cingular1 as password. might be worth the try
Message 26 of 36
Former Moderator

tazmannusa wrote:
From what I understand cingular accelerated doesnt work any more, Have you tryed non accelerated?  What CM are you using?
The new AT&T 6.7 CM does seem to work a little better.  You could try creating a manual dialup account in windows and see if it helps in the area youre in .  AT&T or isp.cingular as name and *99***1# as phone #  no user name or password and try it if it stiil doesnt work enter ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM  as user name and cingular1 as password. might be worth the try

A username and password are no longer required to setup a profile.  The check is also disabled, so even if you do enter something, right or wrong, it won't matter.Also it's not that accelerated doesn't work anymore it's just not possible (nor has it been for years) to bypass the inline acceleration server.  This is why accelerated and non-acceleated were removed from ACM.
Message 27 of 36
Mentor

It has been working fine for several days, then, today, it just decided to stop connecting between 3pm and 7pm.

If I can finally connect I notice the Received count on the 3g Watcher screen is 0.  Sent is not zero.  It looks like it's Sending but not receiving.  If it's not Receiving I cannot find any web pages.

I created connection in Windows as you described.  It displayed "Registering your computer on the network" for 2 minutes.  Then returned Error 619: A connection.. could not be established." 

I did nothing but try to connect for hours.  Therefore, I must conclude it's ATT's problem.

Message 28 of 36
Mentor

Sunday afternoon, and it's really slow.  Why, why does this thing get nasty in the afternoon?
Message 29 of 36
Mentor

Monday morning.
The signal started out ok.. -67db, Good, but i never really got a very snappy internet connection.   I tried all manner of antenna setups, but nothing worked.
Now it's around 10am, and I'm unable to connect.  The signal strength is ok, it's just that it won't work.
11am.. working again, but incredibly slow.
Message 30 of 36
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support