Real-world Edge performance

Mentor

Real-world Edge performance

I connect to the internet with a Sierra 860 card all over the SW US.  I see performance that varies all over the place, and, surprisingly, it has little to do with my connection strength.

I recently came from just south of Gila Bend AZ, where I had "Very Low" strength (-79dbm), but performance was pretty good (pretty good = 254 down, 76 up).  Today I'm in Why AZ, getting -54dbm (exellent) and the performance is terrible this morning.  It's so bad I cannot even start a speed test at Speakeasy using a server in Houston.

Last night the performance was pretty good.  Wildly varying service like this makes no sense.

Message 1 of 36 (4,848 Views)
Scholar

Re: Real-world Edge performance

I agree with the EDGE coverage.  I am lucky in Columbus, OH I get HSPA coverage on a consistent basis (a recent test was 837Kb down and 1.4Mb up), and last Saturday in Lexington, KY on the EDGE network I was getting decent enough speeds to get some work done, by Sunday morning the speed was so slow that I just gave up.  In both cases the signal strength was decent (3-4 bars).  
Message 2 of 36 (4,836 Views)
Guru

My traveling experience seems to indicate that cell traffic load in your area is a big factor in EDGE performance. Remote locations with an adequate signal perform better than urban locations with a strong signal.

Another factor could be the quality of the signal. In an urban area, the signal may be bounced and reflected off of buildings, degrading it. Think of broadcast television in a large city. Oftentimes there is ghosting and other problems near downtown (high buildings) that you do not see in the suburbs.
Message 3 of 36 (4,788 Views)
Mentor

"My traveling experience seems to indicate that cell traffic load in your area is a big factor in EDGE performance. Remote locations with an adequate signal perform better than urban locations with a strong signal."

That makes sense, but, it doesn't seem to hold true for me.  I doubt that Why AZ has a whole lot of cell traffic. 

I'm now in Benson AZ, getting -59dbm. (5bars), and having to poke at web pages 2 -3 times to get them to load. It's annoying as all get outl

Message 4 of 36 (4,760 Views)
Mentor

I'm in Deming NM.  -63dbm, 5 bars at 9pm.

Edge connection is good for about 10 minutes, then 'gags' and quits.  I have to reconnect.  Sometimes it can take up to 30 seconds to Connect to ATT, but it may fail and I have click connect again. 
Message 5 of 36 (4,708 Views)
Mentor

The ATT data coverage map shows what appears to be 3g service along the I-10 corridor from Las Cruces west to Deming.  I'm getting none of that.  Maybe I'm color blind and cannot tell the difference between those 2 very similar shades of blue on that map.

Jees.. can't you use a different color??
Message 6 of 36 (4,694 Views)
Mentor

-65dbm, very good.  Works sluggishly for maybe 5 minutes, drops internet.  3g watcher takes 30-60 seconds just to disconnect after clicking Disconnect.

Disconnect, close, restart Watcher, reconnect.  Good for another 5.  If I don't close/reopen Watcher, it will not connect.

Message 7 of 36 (4,667 Views)
Mentor

I can stay on the internet about 10 minutes.  Then everything locks up.  Close browser, disconnect.  Takes 30 seconds to disconnect.  Close Watcher.  Try to reconnect.. takes several attempts.

Message 8 of 36 (4,633 Views)
Mentor

oldman_ii
  Are you using an external antenna ? Makes a huge diference when on edge.
Your lockup problem might be in your settings?  firewall  settings, device manager showing extra modem, 3G dialup connection that you dont use and doesnt work but put there by software.

Message 9 of 36 (4,624 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

" Are you using an external antenna ? "

Yes, Wilson antenna and amp.  As you can see above, my signal is fine.  There are no spurious connections I'm aware of. 

I had these same problems last year traveling through rural Colorado and Wyoming.  Then, as if by magic, when I get near a city, things start working again.  EDGE exists in the sticks (along freeways) but, it just doesn't work very well.

ATT might have the 'largest data network', but it surely doesn't suit my needs.  To post this, I've made 3 attempts as my connection duration is now about 3 minutes.

Message Edited by oldman_ii on 03-11-2008 08:19:14 PM
Message 10 of 36 (4,620 Views)
Mentor

The reason I mention setting changes is to help on the edge network in rural areas, I live in one and ran 860 card for a year with no problems on edge network and no external antenna, now I have to run antenna and make settings changes or I go through the same lockup issues you are and I am still using it in the same room as I did before I had any problems. Im not sure what changed but somthing did. I even bought new 875 card thinking that was it but nope no differance
Message 11 of 36 (3,698 Views)
Mentor

I have 3 profiles on my Sierra Watcher software:
Accelerated username:
isdpa@cingulargprs.com
Non-accelerated username:
isp@cingulargprs.com
Custom username:
Wap@cingulargprs.com
I usually use Accelerated because it works.  I got the Custom from a previous call to Cingular with these issues.  It works, sometimes.  Non-accelerated rarely works. 
There are a lot of Advanced options in these connection profiles, but I don't know what I'm doing.  Perhaps there's some setting in there.. don't know.
Thanks for your replies Taz.
Message 12 of 36 (3,687 Views)
Former Moderator

[ Edited ]

oldman_ii wrote:
I have 3 profiles on my Sierra Watcher software:
Accelerated username:
isdpa@cingulargprs.com
Non-accelerated username:
isp@cingulargprs.com
Custom username:
Wap@cingulargprs.com
I usually use Accelerated because it works.  I got the Custom from a previous call to Cingular with these issues.  It works, sometimes.  Non-accelerated rarely works. 
There are a lot of Advanced options in these connection profiles, but I don't know what I'm doing.  Perhaps there's some setting in there.. don't know.
Thanks for your replies Taz.

Please do not use the wap.cingular APN to tether your device.  It is a violation of the Terms of Service and can result in out-of-bucket data charges. 

There is no need to have both a non-accelerated and accelerated connection profile anymore.  In the past the accelerated profile routed data through an acceleration server and the non-accelerated one didn't.  Data is now routed exactly the same, which is why the seperate profiles have been removed from the latest version of ACM.

Message Edited by Luckey on 03-13-2008 12:13:20 PM
Message 13 of 36 (3,664 Views)
Mentor

Tether?   Doesn't that mean to connect via your mobile phone?

Alpine TX. -59db, Excellent. 
Connection works well for about 10 minutes.  Drops.  Close Watcher.. reopen, takes at least a minute to find the signal.
Thinking this might be a Sierra Watcher problem, I installed CCM.  Same stuff.

Message 14 of 36 (3,656 Views)
LCT
Scholar

oldman_ii wrote:
Tether?   Doesn't that mean to connect via your mobile phone?

Alpine TX. -59db, Excellent. 
Connection works well for about 10 minutes.  Drops.  Close Watcher.. reopen, takes at least a minute to find the signal.
Thinking this might be a Sierra Watcher problem, I installed CCM.  Same stuff.

Fine, keep using wap to connect to the internet.  Just don't complain when you get that 10K dollar bill.  BTW, did you mean Sierra Wireless instead of Watcher?  Back to your problem, it might be a power management issue.  Try disabling selective suspend on the USB Root Hub.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 15 of 36 (3,646 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.