Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 13, 2012
3:45:00 PM
View profile
Re: Why won't att unlock the iphone?

To me this smacks of criminal restraint of trade. What if I bought a subsidized auto from GM, and had to get my fuel and maintenance from GM. But once I own the auto free and clear, then GM has no right to continue to restrain how I use it.

I want to use my 3GS on T-Mobile for voice and messaging, with no data plan. I have WiFi everywhere I need access.

But now I have to figure out all the RedSnow UltraSnow Cydia yadda yadda stuff. It's not like I want to jailbreak my phone.

Sunny Guy

To me this smacks of criminal restraint of trade. What if I bought a subsidized auto from GM, and had to get my fuel and maintenance from GM. But once I own the auto free and clear, then GM has no right to continue to restrain how I use it.

I want to use my 3GS on T-Mobile for voice and messaging, with no data plan. I have WiFi everywhere I need access.

But now I have to figure out all the RedSnow UltraSnow Cydia yadda yadda stuff. It's not like I want to jailbreak my phone.

Sunny Guy

25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2012 3:47:19 PM
(0)
Contributor

So what if I want to use my iPhone overseas? What if I move to Europe? ATT is not the only option in the world.

Sunny Guy

So what if I want to use my iPhone overseas? What if I move to Europe? ATT is not the only option in the world.

Sunny Guy

2 of 26 (2,430 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2012 3:52:41 PM
(0)
Guru
Really?? You brought up a post that is almost 2 years old?? If you want to use your phone on t-mobile than buy a t-mobile phone!!!
Really?? You brought up a post that is almost 2 years old?? If you want to use your phone on t-mobile than buy a t-mobile phone!!!

3 of 26 (2,426 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2012 7:15:40 PM
(0)
Guru

AT&T wont unlock the phone because they just won't.

Lol this is old news. Theres no way they are going to unlock it.

AT&T wont unlock the phone because they just won't.

Lol this is old news. Theres no way they are going to unlock it.

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

4 of 26 (2,394 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2012 9:05:01 PM
(0)
Master
Old arguments that will not change right now! Use all the logic and justification that you would like but the bottom line is ATT and Apple do not unlock iPhones sold for use on the ATT network. If you want an unlocked iPhone, go to the Apple Store and buy the specific model that they sell that it unlocked. There is not subsidy and no strings attached!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Old arguments that will not change right now! Use all the logic and justification that you would like but the bottom line is ATT and Apple do not unlock iPhones sold for use on the ATT network. If you want an unlocked iPhone, go to the Apple Store and buy the specific model that they sell that it unlocked. There is not subsidy and no strings attached!

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

5 of 26 (2,383 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2012 9:53:34 PM
(0)
Guru

If GM sold you a $30K car for $12K, would you complain if you had to get your fuel and maintenance services from GM? I don't think so.

Good luck with UltraSn0w. If you have any recent version of iOS, you won't be unlocking it. You might succeed with a (likely tethered) jailbreak, but the most recent versions of iOS haven't received an untethered jailbreak or an unlock. And if you don't have your SHSH blobs backed up to Cydia, you're probably completely out of luck.

SunnyGuy53 wrote:

Sunny Guy

If GM sold you a $30K car for $12K, would you complain if you had to get your fuel and maintenance services from GM? I don't think so.

Good luck with UltraSn0w. If you have any recent version of iOS, you won't be unlocking it. You might succeed with a (likely tethered) jailbreak, but the most recent versions of iOS haven't received an untethered jailbreak or an unlock. And if you don't have your SHSH blobs backed up to Cydia, you're probably completely out of luck.

SunnyGuy53 wrote:

Sunny Guy

6 of 26 (2,376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2012 3:15:35 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by browski on Jan 14, 2012 at 3:16:04 AM

A couple of better questions are why don't people search the forum before posting and why don't people use Google before posting?

If you want to unlock your phone and use T-Mobile, the very top search result after Googling 'unlock iPhone 4S' gives step by step instructions. If it works, great. If it doesn't move on to another method.

The bottom line is you want a company to do something that they are not willing to do. In this specific case, you can circumvent company policy and accomplish your goal by doing a little work. What I find more disturbing that a years old AT&T policy is the mindset of someone who wants something but is willing to take 'no' for an answer and refuses to pursue other avenues. If you are unwilling to jailbreak your phone, then you don't want to use it on T-Mobile very badly. You have been given the options, you can either whine about how you expect AT&T to do something for you or you can do it yourself.

Of all the bad business policies that AT&T has, this has got to be the silliest battle that people choose to fight.

A couple of better questions are why don't people search the forum before posting and why don't people use Google before posting?

If you want to unlock your phone and use T-Mobile, the very top search result after Googling 'unlock iPhone 4S' gives step by step instructions. If it works, great. If it doesn't move on to another method.

The bottom line is you want a company to do something that they are not willing to do. In this specific case, you can circumvent company policy and accomplish your goal by doing a little work. What I find more disturbing that a years old AT&T policy is the mindset of someone who wants something but is willing to take 'no' for an answer and refuses to pursue other avenues. If you are unwilling to jailbreak your phone, then you don't want to use it on T-Mobile very badly. You have been given the options, you can either whine about how you expect AT&T to do something for you or you can do it yourself.

Of all the bad business policies that AT&T has, this has got to be the silliest battle that people choose to fight.

[ Edited ]
7 of 26 (2,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2012 5:24:07 AM
(0)
Professor

AT&T will not unlock  your iphone.

AT&T will not unlock  your iphone.

hello!!!

8 of 26 (2,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2012 12:55:03 PM
(0)
Scholar

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An interesting but incorrect assertion.  Many years ago GM and other "inferred" that having your oil changed by anyone other than an approved dealerhsip "might" void the car's warranty.  There were many examples of this in the computer industry also.
After the courts got involved those problems all but disappeared.
Now, I I did buy the car you mentioned, and I kept it till the end of the contract, and GM no longer owned the car (title) then it's mine to do as I please.
This is not the case with an AT&T iphone,  so you need a different example.  I paid for the phone, fulfilled my contract and at&t still dictates what I can do with my property.

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An interesting but incorrect assertion.  Many years ago GM and other "inferred" that having your oil changed by anyone other than an approved dealerhsip "might" void the car's warranty.  There were many examples of this in the computer industry also.
Now, I I did buy the car you mentioned, and I kept it till the end of the contract, and GM no longer owned the car (title) then it's mine to do as I please.
This is not the case with an AT&T iphone,  so you need a different example.  I paid for the phone, fulfilled my contract and at&t still dictates what I can do with my property.

9 of 26 (2,291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2012 2:23:34 PM
(0)
Expert

wireless-user wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

So will verizon and sprint when it comes to the iphone, it is not a lets unlock the phone with no strings attached agreement like every thinks it is

wireless-user wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

So will verizon and sprint when it comes to the iphone, it is not a lets unlock the phone with no strings attached agreement like every thinks it is

10 of 26 (2,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2012 9:04:03 AM
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

So, will verizon and sprint when it comes to the iphone, it is not a lets unlock the phone with no strings attached agreement like every thinks it is

Well, you added the no strings attached knowing full well there are some minimal requirements..

So, the answer for the GSM side is yes, they will unlock it if you meet their minimal requirements, which seem acceptable (to me), account open for 60 days or more and in good standing, and one unlock every 10 months I think it was,  or was that one a Sprint requirement. 

Either way, the end result is an unlocked GSM side.  There's no indication they will relock it after your contract expires.  If at&t implemented the same policy the issue would disappear.  Instead, at&t chooses to rip off unsuspecting (inexperienced) global travelers when the bring their at&t iPhone to another country.

I can hear the chorus now:  "too bad if they don't understand the Terms of Service"....   Right,  that's why at&t had to make many "accommodations" when these unsuspecting people received phone bills in the thousands of dollars.

The OP who injected CDMA into the discussion did so to make a point. OK they CDMA side remains committed to Verizon, so what?  The discussion has (virtually) never been about  the use of unlocked iphones inside the USA.   Sure some people use them somewhat crippled on T-Mob's network,  but they are in the minority.

Cheers,

wingrider01 wrote:

So, will verizon and sprint when it comes to the iphone, it is not a lets unlock the phone with no strings attached agreement like every thinks it is

Well, you added the no strings attached knowing full well there are some minimal requirements..

So, the answer for the GSM side is yes, they will unlock it if you meet their minimal requirements, which seem acceptable (to me), account open for 60 days or more and in good standing, and one unlock every 10 months I think it was,  or was that one a Sprint requirement. 

Either way, the end result is an unlocked GSM side.  There's no indication they will relock it after your contract expires.  If at&t implemented the same policy the issue would disappear.  Instead, at&t chooses to rip off unsuspecting (inexperienced) global travelers when the bring their at&t iPhone to another country.

I can hear the chorus now:  "too bad if they don't understand the Terms of Service"....   Right,  that's why at&t had to make many "accommodations" when these unsuspecting people received phone bills in the thousands of dollars.

The OP who injected CDMA into the discussion did so to make a point. OK they CDMA side remains committed to Verizon, so what?  The discussion has (virtually) never been about  the use of unlocked iphones inside the USA.   Sure some people use them somewhat crippled on T-Mob's network,  but they are in the minority.

Cheers,

11 of 26 (1,646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2012 9:10:50 AM
(0)
Expert

wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Cheers,

read it again, will highlight the pertinent words

what does it matter on the unlock policy - it does not work on a US carrier. Add to the fact one of the caveats for the unlock is that you maintain a valid and current verizon agreement, so given the wording of the contractual terms it appears that if the agreement is shutdown the phone is locked

Bottom line - currently and in the foreseeable future ATT does not and will not unlock a ATT iphone, nothing changes that at the moment. maybe it will change in a couple of years, but for rightn ow it is a dead horse that looks like a pancake since it has been beat on so much

wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Cheers,

read it again, will highlight the pertinent words

what does it matter on the unlock policy - it does not work on a US carrier. Add to the fact one of the caveats for the unlock is that you maintain a valid and current verizon agreement, so given the wording of the contractual terms it appears that if the agreement is shutdown the phone is locked

Bottom line - currently and in the foreseeable future ATT does not and will not unlock a ATT iphone, nothing changes that at the moment. maybe it will change in a couple of years, but for rightn ow it is a dead horse that looks like a pancake since it has been beat on so much

12 of 26 (1,643 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 7:34:53 AM
(0)
Guru

wireless-user wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

Not that I don't sympathize with your unlock argument, but the car analogy doesn't quite apply...not unless you're gonna offer that you bought your car at a subsidized price; also, I assume that by "contract" you mean a loan contract where a lender offered to cover the purchase cost of the car in exchange for your agreeing to pay back the lender.  AT&T didn't "loan" you money so that you can purchase an iPhone; all they ask for in return for buying one at a subsidized cost is that you agree to a contract to pay for phone services for 2 years...and if you think about it, the "penalty" for breaking the phone services contract is the ETF which cost-wise is substantially less than if you were to fulfill the entire term of the contract...BUT you still get the keep the phone.  OTOH--with a vehicle loan contract, if you break it or otherwise terminate it early, you don't get to keep the car...not unless you offer to pay the balance of the loan at the time of early termination.  Big difference...

Also--yes, you can argue that if you fulfilled your contract, then you can do whatever you want with your iPhone as you please; well, you can do whatever you want to your phone.  Just because you can do whatever you please to your own property doesn't mean that someone must be required to assist you in that regard if you ask/tell them to do so.  Bottom line--if you want AT&T to unlock iPhones...write your local congressperson to lobby for legislation to get carriers to unlock phones after the consumer has fulfilled any required obligations.  Yes it's a bummer that AT&T won't unlock iPhones no matter what, but it is what it is...and until someone legislatively forces AT&T's hand, it'll stay that way.

wireless-user wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

Not that I don't sympathize with your unlock argument, but the car analogy doesn't quite apply...not unless you're gonna offer that you bought your car at a subsidized price; also, I assume that by "contract" you mean a loan contract where a lender offered to cover the purchase cost of the car in exchange for your agreeing to pay back the lender.  AT&T didn't "loan" you money so that you can purchase an iPhone; all they ask for in return for buying one at a subsidized cost is that you agree to a contract to pay for phone services for 2 years...and if you think about it, the "penalty" for breaking the phone services contract is the ETF which cost-wise is substantially less than if you were to fulfill the entire term of the contract...BUT you still get the keep the phone.  OTOH--with a vehicle loan contract, if you break it or otherwise terminate it early, you don't get to keep the car...not unless you offer to pay the balance of the loan at the time of early termination.  Big difference...

Also--yes, you can argue that if you fulfilled your contract, then you can do whatever you want with your iPhone as you please; well, you can do whatever you want to your phone.  Just because you can do whatever you please to your own property doesn't mean that someone must be required to assist you in that regard if you ask/tell them to do so.  Bottom line--if you want AT&T to unlock iPhones...write your local congressperson to lobby for legislation to get carriers to unlock phones after the consumer has fulfilled any required obligations.  Yes it's a bummer that AT&T won't unlock iPhones no matter what, but it is what it is...and until someone legislatively forces AT&T's hand, it'll stay that way.

13 of 26 (1,600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 12:39:05 PM
(0)
Guru
I'm not making an assertion, per se. I'm asking a question and positing what I think the answer would be. There's no "perfect" analog to this scenario, but the discussions around "ownership" of IP such as software is probably closer to this topic than car ownership would be. So you fulfilled your contract....nowhere in your contract does it state that your phone will be unlocked upon satisfaction of said contract. And I think you hit the nail on the head with your third-party warranty discussion - the car manufacturers and their dealerships refused to honor warranties on autos that had undergone third-party maintenance until Congress stepped in. I don't think the phone unlock situation changing without similar prompting -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- wireless user wrote: An interesting but incorrect assertion. Many years ago GM and other "inferred" that having your oil changed by anyone other than an approved dealerhsip "might" void the car's warranty. There were many examples of this in the computer industry also. After the courts got involved those problems all but disappeared. Now, I I did buy the car you mentioned, and I kept it till the end of the contract, and GM no longer owned the car (title) then it's mine to do as I please. This is not the case with an AT&T iphone, so you need a different example. I paid for the phone, fulfilled my contract and at&t still dictates what I can do with my property.
I'm not making an assertion, per se. I'm asking a question and positing what I think the answer would be. There's no "perfect" analog to this scenario, but the discussions around "ownership" of IP such as software is probably closer to this topic than car ownership would be. So you fulfilled your contract....nowhere in your contract does it state that your phone will be unlocked upon satisfaction of said contract. And I think you hit the nail on the head with your third-party warranty discussion - the car manufacturers and their dealerships refused to honor warranties on autos that had undergone third-party maintenance until Congress stepped in. I don't think the phone unlock situation changing without similar prompting -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- wireless user wrote: An interesting but incorrect assertion. Many years ago GM and other "inferred" that having your oil changed by anyone other than an approved dealerhsip "might" void the car's warranty. There were many examples of this in the computer industry also. After the courts got involved those problems all but disappeared. Now, I I did buy the car you mentioned, and I kept it till the end of the contract, and GM no longer owned the car (title) then it's mine to do as I please. This is not the case with an AT&T iphone, so you need a different example. I paid for the phone, fulfilled my contract and at&t still dictates what I can do with my property.

14 of 26 (1,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 2:55:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Jan 16, 2012 at 2:56:46 PM
AT&T will not unlock iPhones because the decision is up to Apple, too. Now, why would Apple not allow their iPhones to be unlocked, who knows? Probably because they want you to buy another one if you want to go to a different carrier that offers the exact same phone.

I very much respect Apple and their products, but their company is so locked down. Perhaps that's why I prefer Google's Android OS where all of their phones are available to be unlocked. Don't get me wrong - I still very much enjoy using my iPhone and may get a newer version to replace both my 3GS and my Android phone.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

AT&T will not unlock iPhones because the decision is up to Apple, too. Now, why would Apple not allow their iPhones to be unlocked, who knows? Probably because they want you to buy another one if you want to go to a different carrier that offers the exact same phone.

I very much respect Apple and their products, but their company is so locked down. Perhaps that's why I prefer Google's Android OS where all of their phones are available to be unlocked. Don't get me wrong - I still very much enjoy using my iPhone and may get a newer version to replace both my 3GS and my Android phone.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
15 of 26 (1,562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 10:14:38 AM
(0)
Scholar

Wild Banchi wrote:

I believe your answer is incorrect.   Since Apple openly sells unlocked iphones it would indicate the carrier (at&t) who subsidizes the handset is refusing to authorize Apple to unlock a particular handset. 

The policy of many global carriers would bring that point home.  They have administrative processes which allow unlocking, the carrier authorizes the unlock and sends an authorization to Apple, who  in turn  performs the unlock when the handset is updated thru iTunes.  Apple controls iTunes however the carrier approves the unlock.

I already replaced one iPhone 4 (at&t) with an unlocked Android.

Wild Banchi wrote:

I believe your answer is incorrect.   Since Apple openly sells unlocked iphones it would indicate the carrier (at&t) who subsidizes the handset is refusing to authorize Apple to unlock a particular handset. 

The policy of many global carriers would bring that point home.  They have administrative processes which allow unlocking, the carrier authorizes the unlock and sends an authorization to Apple, who  in turn  performs the unlock when the handset is updated thru iTunes.  Apple controls iTunes however the carrier approves the unlock.

I already replaced one iPhone 4 (at&t) with an unlocked Android.

16 of 26 (1,516 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 10:19:21 AM
(0)
Scholar

tonester wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well,  then explain to me how an automobile lease works????
You lease the unit for the contract term, you can then return it or pay it off.  Once paid off you can do what you want with the unit.  Something you could not do while the lease was active...
At the end of your iPhone obligation you own the device, but at&t still has you locked in...  Bad Bad Bad....
And yes, at&t will do nothing until they are forced by legislation.    To wit:  Consumer hostile.

tonester wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You lease the unit for the contract term, you can then return it or pay it off.  Once paid off you can do what you want with the unit.  Something you could not do while the lease was active...
At the end of your iPhone obligation you own the device, but at&t still has you locked in...  Bad Bad Bad....
And yes, at&t will do nothing until they are forced by legislation.    To wit:  Consumer hostile.

17 of 26 (1,516 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 10:36:56 AM
(0)
Master

i wish foks would stop trying to defend the policy and get into chest beating to prove they are right or the other person is wrong.  It is what it is and it is and no debate here is going to change it.  Once the question is answered that ATT will not unlock an iPhone, that is really the end of the discussion.  No new arguements about why they should unlock it have been raised since this discussion was first raised years ago. 

Apple provides options to purchase an unlocked/no committment price.  We may not like it but that option is there and you can choose or not choose to take that on and/or sign a contract.   ATT is never going to come here and respond to this discussion other than to moderate it.

i wish foks would stop trying to defend the policy and get into chest beating to prove they are right or the other person is wrong.  It is what it is and it is and no debate here is going to change it.  Once the question is answered that ATT will not unlock an iPhone, that is really the end of the discussion.  No new arguements about why they should unlock it have been raised since this discussion was first raised years ago. 

Apple provides options to purchase an unlocked/no committment price.  We may not like it but that option is there and you can choose or not choose to take that on and/or sign a contract.   ATT is never going to come here and respond to this discussion other than to moderate it.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

18 of 26 (1,510 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 1:23:15 PM
(0)
Scholar

youngjm wrote:

youngjm has spoken...  We don't need to discuss this topic ever again.

youngjm wrote:

19 of 26 (1,504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 3:27:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

wireless-user wrote:

youngjm wrote:

Indeed, in a user forum sponsored and paid for by AT&T, he's completely correct.

The answers are

1) They will not unlock a simlocked iPhone,

2) Because they won't.

3) Yes, you agreed to this when you bought your phone. It's disclosed somewhere. They are legally covered. No laws were broken.

4) None of us will ever be able to change this

5) Re-read the bit about no laws being broken

Have a nice day Smiley Happy

wireless-user wrote:

youngjm wrote:

Indeed, in a user forum sponsored and paid for by AT&T, he's completely correct.

The answers are

2) Because they won't.

3) Yes, you agreed to this when you bought your phone. It's disclosed somewhere. They are legally covered. No laws were broken.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

20 of 26 (1,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 4:11:26 PM
(0)
Expert

johninsj wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

youngjm wrote:

The answers are

2) Because they won't.

It is documented right here on ATT's site

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=55002&cv=820#fbid=GDjXOvZ-jJY

johninsj wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

youngjm wrote:

The answers are

2) Because they won't.

It is documented right here on ATT's site

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=55002&cv=820#fbid=GDjXOvZ-jJY

21 of 26 (1,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 7:11:03 AM
(0)
Teacher

is there a way to unlock an iphone yourself??

22 of 26 (1,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 8:36:28 AM
(0)
Guru

wireless-user wrote:

tonester wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

Yes...as long as you pay it off; however, with an (subsidized price) iPhone, AT&T isn't asking you to pay off the remaining amount of the iPhone once your contract has ended (either by ETF or by fulfilling the entire contract term length).  Note that when you agree to a contract as part of being allowed to purchase an iPhone at a discounted price, the contract is for wireless phone service, not for service that is tied solely to the discounted phone itself--there is nothing in the contract that requires you to maintain service on the discounted iPhone...just that you maintain service for the duration of the contract.  As long as I maintain that service line, I am not required to use only the iPhone on that line for the entire term--i.e., I can simply deactivate my iPhone and then activate a dumbphone on that line, and yet still not be deemed to have broken my contract...thus showing that AT&T doesn't necessarily have to "do anything" with your iPhone (e.g., unlock it) once you've fulfilled the terms of your contract because all they are looking for is that you pay them for maintaining service on a line, not for using your iPhone on your account.  If that were the case, then they would have also required that you maintain a data plan for the entire length of the contract regardless of whether you are using a smartphone (iPhone) on that line...but as we all know, such is not required as part of the contract.

wireless-user wrote:

tonester wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

Yes...as long as you pay it off; however, with an (subsidized price) iPhone, AT&T isn't asking you to pay off the remaining amount of the iPhone once your contract has ended (either by ETF or by fulfilling the entire contract term length).  Note that when you agree to a contract as part of being allowed to purchase an iPhone at a discounted price, the contract is for wireless phone service, not for service that is tied solely to the discounted phone itself--there is nothing in the contract that requires you to maintain service on the discounted iPhone...just that you maintain service for the duration of the contract.  As long as I maintain that service line, I am not required to use only the iPhone on that line for the entire term--i.e., I can simply deactivate my iPhone and then activate a dumbphone on that line, and yet still not be deemed to have broken my contract...thus showing that AT&T doesn't necessarily have to "do anything" with your iPhone (e.g., unlock it) once you've fulfilled the terms of your contract because all they are looking for is that you pay them for maintaining service on a line, not for using your iPhone on your account.  If that were the case, then they would have also required that you maintain a data plan for the entire length of the contract regardless of whether you are using a smartphone (iPhone) on that line...but as we all know, such is not required as part of the contract.

23 of 26 (1,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 10:02:13 AM
(0)
Guru

Not if it's any recent version of the iPhone or iOS.

randyking02 wrote:

Not if it's any recent version of the iPhone or iOS.

randyking02 wrote:

24 of 26 (1,483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 10:37:19 AM
(0)
Master

randyking02 wrote:

That is a different question that requires research via Google and will depend on what phone you have the version of your OS and the baseband.  Google and time is your friend as to what options you have.

randyking02 wrote:

That is a different question that requires research via Google and will depend on what phone you have the version of your OS and the baseband.  Google and time is your friend as to what options you have.

25 of 26 (1,476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2012 2:17:10 PM
(0)
Professor

google it i am sure there is a way. but i would not try it to avoid damage to the hardware and this will void the warranty.

google it i am sure there is a way. but i would not try it to avoid damage to the hardware and this will void the warranty.

hello!!!

26 of 26 (1,465 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments