Re: Why won't att unlock the iphone?

Contributor

To me this smacks of criminal restraint of trade. What if I bought a subsidized auto from GM, and had to get my fuel and maintenance from GM. But once I own the auto free and clear, then GM has no right to continue to restrain how I use it.

I want to use my 3GS on T-Mobile for voice and messaging, with no data plan. I have WiFi everywhere I need access.

But now I have to figure out all the RedSnow UltraSnow Cydia yadda yadda stuff. It's not like I want to jailbreak my phone.

Sunny Guy

Message 1 of 26 (2,476 Views)

Wild Banchi wrote:
AT&T will not unlock iPhones because the decision is up to Apple, too. Now, why would Apple not allow their iPhones to be unlocked, who knows? Probably because they want you to buy another one if you want to go to a different carrier that offers the exact same phone.

I very much respect Apple and their products, but their company is so locked down. Perhaps that's why I prefer Google's Android OS where all of their phones are available to be unlocked. Don't get me wrong - I still very much enjoy using my iPhone and may get a newer version to replace both my 3GS and my Android phone.

I believe your answer is incorrect.   Since Apple openly sells unlocked iphones it would indicate the carrier (at&t) who subsidizes the handset is refusing to authorize Apple to unlock a particular handset. 

The policy of many global carriers would bring that point home.  They have administrative processes which allow unlocking, the carrier authorizes the unlock and sends an authorization to Apple, who  in turn  performs the unlock when the handset is updated thru iTunes.  Apple controls iTunes however the carrier approves the unlock.

I already replaced one iPhone 4 (at&t) with an unlocked Android.

Message 16 of 26 (1,559 Views)

tonester wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

If GM sold you a $30K car for $12K, would you complain if you had to get your fuel and maintenance services from GM? I don't think so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An interesting but incorrect assertion.  Many years ago GM and other "inferred" that having your oil changed by anyone other than an approved dealerhsip "might" void the car's warranty.  There were many examples of this in the computer industry also.
After the courts got involved those problems all but disappeared.
Now, I I did buy the car you mentioned, and I kept it till the end of the contract, and GM no longer owned the car (title) then it's mine to do as I please.
This is not the case with an AT&T iphone,  so you need a different example.  I paid for the phone, fulfilled my contract and at&t still dictates what I can do with my property.

Not that I don't sympathize with your unlock argument, but the car analogy doesn't quite apply...not unless you're gonna offer that you bought your car at a subsidized price; also, I assume that by "contract" you mean a loan contract where a lender offered to cover the purchase cost of the car in exchange for your agreeing to pay back the lender.  AT&T didn't "loan" you money so that you can purchase an iPhone; all they ask for in return for buying one at a subsidized cost is that you agree to a contract to pay for phone services for 2 years...and if you think about it, the "penalty" for breaking the phone services contract is the ETF which cost-wise is substantially less than if you were to fulfill the entire term of the contract...BUT you still get the keep the phone.  OTOH--with a vehicle loan contract, if you break it or otherwise terminate it early, you don't get to keep the car...not unless you offer to pay the balance of the loan at the time of early termination.  Big difference...

Also--yes, you can argue that if you fulfilled your contract, then you can do whatever you want with your iPhone as you please; well, you can do whatever you want to your phone.  Just because you can do whatever you please to your own property doesn't mean that someone must be required to assist you in that regard if you ask/tell them to do so.  Bottom line--if you want AT&T to unlock iPhones...write your local congressperson to lobby for legislation to get carriers to unlock phones after the consumer has fulfilled any required obligations.  Yes it's a bummer that AT&T won't unlock iPhones no matter what, but it is what it is...and until someone legislatively forces AT&T's hand, it'll stay that way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well,  then explain to me how an automobile lease works????
You lease the unit for the contract term, you can then return it or pay it off.  Once paid off you can do what you want with the unit.  Something you could not do while the lease was active...
At the end of your iPhone obligation you own the device, but at&t still has you locked in...  Bad Bad Bad....
And yes, at&t will do nothing until they are forced by legislation.    To wit:  Consumer hostile.
Message 17 of 26 (1,559 Views)
Master

i wish foks would stop trying to defend the policy and get into chest beating to prove they are right or the other person is wrong.  It is what it is and it is and no debate here is going to change it.  Once the question is answered that ATT will not unlock an iPhone, that is really the end of the discussion.  No new arguements about why they should unlock it have been raised since this discussion was first raised years ago. 

Apple provides options to purchase an unlocked/no committment price.  We may not like it but that option is there and you can choose or not choose to take that on and/or sign a contract.   ATT is never going to come here and respond to this discussion other than to moderate it.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 18 of 26 (1,553 Views)

youngjm wrote:

i wish foks would stop trying to defend the policy and get into chest beating to prove they are right or the other person is wrong.  It is what it is and it is and no debate here is going to change it.  Once the question is answered that ATT will not unlock an iPhone, that is really the end of the discussion.  No new arguements about why they should unlock it have been raised since this discussion was first raised years ago. 

Apple provides options to purchase an unlocked/no committment price.  We may not like it but that option is there and you can choose or not choose to take that on and/or sign a contract.   ATT is never going to come here and respond to this discussion other than to moderate it.

youngjm has spoken...  We don't need to discuss this topic ever again.

Message 19 of 26 (1,547 Views)
ACE - Professor

wireless-user wrote:

youngjm wrote:

Indeed, in a user forum sponsored and paid for by AT&T, he's completely correct.

The answers are

1) They will not unlock a simlocked iPhone,

2) Because they won't.

3) Yes, you agreed to this when you bought your phone. It's disclosed somewhere. They are legally covered. No laws were broken.

4) None of us will ever be able to change this

5) Re-read the bit about no laws being broken

Have a nice day Smiley Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 26 (1,538 Views)
Expert

johninsj wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

youngjm wrote:

Indeed, in a user forum sponsored and paid for by AT&T, he's completely correct.

The answers are

1) They will not unlock a simlocked iPhone,

2) Because they won't.

3) Yes, you agreed to this when you bought your phone. It's disclosed somewhere. They are legally covered. No laws were broken.

4) None of us will ever be able to change this

5) Re-read the bit about no laws being broken

Have a nice day Smiley Happy

It is documented right here on ATT's site

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=55002&cv=820#fbid=GDjXOvZ-jJY

Message 21 of 26 (1,582 Views)
Teacher

is there a way to unlock an iphone yourself??

Message 22 of 26 (1,544 Views)
Guru

wireless-user wrote:

tonester wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

If GM sold you a $30K car for $12K, would you complain if you had to get your fuel and maintenance services from GM? I don't think so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An interesting but incorrect assertion.  Many years ago GM and other "inferred" that having your oil changed by anyone other than an approved dealerhsip "might" void the car's warranty.  There were many examples of this in the computer industry also.
After the courts got involved those problems all but disappeared.
Now, I I did buy the car you mentioned, and I kept it till the end of the contract, and GM no longer owned the car (title) then it's mine to do as I please.
This is not the case with an AT&T iphone,  so you need a different example.  I paid for the phone, fulfilled my contract and at&t still dictates what I can do with my property.

Not that I don't sympathize with your unlock argument, but the car analogy doesn't quite apply...not unless you're gonna offer that you bought your car at a subsidized price; also, I assume that by "contract" you mean a loan contract where a lender offered to cover the purchase cost of the car in exchange for your agreeing to pay back the lender.  AT&T didn't "loan" you money so that you can purchase an iPhone; all they ask for in return for buying one at a subsidized cost is that you agree to a contract to pay for phone services for 2 years...and if you think about it, the "penalty" for breaking the phone services contract is the ETF which cost-wise is substantially less than if you were to fulfill the entire term of the contract...BUT you still get the keep the phone.  OTOH--with a vehicle loan contract, if you break it or otherwise terminate it early, you don't get to keep the car...not unless you offer to pay the balance of the loan at the time of early termination.  Big difference...

Also--yes, you can argue that if you fulfilled your contract, then you can do whatever you want with your iPhone as you please; well, you can do whatever you want to your phone.  Just because you can do whatever you please to your own property doesn't mean that someone must be required to assist you in that regard if you ask/tell them to do so.  Bottom line--if you want AT&T to unlock iPhones...write your local congressperson to lobby for legislation to get carriers to unlock phones after the consumer has fulfilled any required obligations.  Yes it's a bummer that AT&T won't unlock iPhones no matter what, but it is what it is...and until someone legislatively forces AT&T's hand, it'll stay that way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well,  then explain to me how an automobile lease works????
You lease the unit for the contract term, you can then return it or pay it off.  Once paid off you can do what you want with the unit.  Something you could not do while the lease was active...

Yes...as long as you pay it off; however, with an (subsidized price) iPhone, AT&T isn't asking you to pay off the remaining amount of the iPhone once your contract has ended (either by ETF or by fulfilling the entire contract term length).  Note that when you agree to a contract as part of being allowed to purchase an iPhone at a discounted price, the contract is for wireless phone service, not for service that is tied solely to the discounted phone itself--there is nothing in the contract that requires you to maintain service on the discounted iPhone...just that you maintain service for the duration of the contract.  As long as I maintain that service line, I am not required to use only the iPhone on that line for the entire term--i.e., I can simply deactivate my iPhone and then activate a dumbphone on that line, and yet still not be deemed to have broken my contract...thus showing that AT&T doesn't necessarily have to "do anything" with your iPhone (e.g., unlock it) once you've fulfilled the terms of your contract because all they are looking for is that you pay them for maintaining service on a line, not for using your iPhone on your account.  If that were the case, then they would have also required that you maintain a data plan for the entire length of the contract regardless of whether you are using a smartphone (iPhone) on that line...but as we all know, such is not required as part of the contract.

Message 23 of 26 (1,538 Views)

Not if it's any recent version of the iPhone or iOS.

randyking02 wrote:

Message 24 of 26 (1,526 Views)
Master

randyking02 wrote:

That is a different question that requires research via Google and will depend on what phone you have the version of your OS and the baseband.  Google and time is your friend as to what options you have.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 25 of 26 (1,519 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

google it i am sure there is a way. but i would not try it to avoid damage to the hardware and this will void the warranty.

Message 26 of 26 (1,508 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.