Re: Grandfathered unlimited data plan

Tutor

I have a very old Unlimited 3G Data Plan computer. It is dated 2005-6.

My usage of the data plan is very erratic. I could go for 6 months without using it at all (working oversea) and then when I am in U.S. I could use up to 10 GB for a couple of months.

I have heard stories of some version of the  “Unlimited” data plan get soft or hard cap. Customers get warning email from at&t and some had over $1000 overage charges because he/she used more than 5GB per month. I never encountered that problem so I am assuming that I have a “true” unlimited data plan.

I am considering upgrading to 4G LTE. I am told by the at&t customer rep. that I get to keep my unlimited plan, but they will need to change it to 4G LTE unlimited.

Does anyone know if the 4G LTE unlimited is truly unlimited or is one of those soft/hard cap fake Unlimited plan?

CF

Message 1 of 8 (2,779 Views)
Professor

The 4G LTE unlimited data plan has a soft cap of 5GB.  The 3G data plan has a soft cap of 3GB.

Message 2 of 8 (2,763 Views)
Tutor

Just to be sure...  my plan is not for phone, but for laptop. It is the $59.95 plan.

CF

Message 3 of 8 (2,751 Views)
Professor

Oh, sorry.  My answer was for phone data plans.

Message 4 of 8 (2,748 Views)
Contributor

throttling data plans. its their way of keeping up thier end of the contract. its not truly unlimited anymore.
Message 5 of 8 (2,471 Views)
Contributor

throttling data plans. its their way of honoring the contract without actually honoring the contract

Message 6 of 8 (2,470 Views)
Tutor

NP. Thanks for replying. I wasn't clear in my posting.

CF

Message 7 of 8 (2,443 Views)
Tutor

reply to gowheelin:

The odd thing is that I never got throttled, though my monthly useages flex from 0 MB to 11-13 GB. On average I surely use far less than 5GB monthly. My concern is that if I will lose that flexibility if I "upgraded" to the "new" Unlimited 4G or 4G LTE from my current 3G dataconnect  plan dated 2005 (data only plan for laptop).

CF

Message 8 of 8 (2,439 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.