Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 18, 2012
7:34:19 AM
View profile
Re: Grandfathered unlimited data plan

I have a very old Unlimited 3G Data Plan computer. It is dated 2005-6.

My usage of the data plan is very erratic. I could go for 6 months without using it at all (working oversea) and then when I am in U.S. I could use up to 10 GB for a couple of months.

I have heard stories of some version of the  “Unlimited” data plan get soft or hard cap. Customers get warning email from at&t and some had over $1000 overage charges because he/she used more than 5GB per month. I never encountered that problem so I am assuming that I have a “true” unlimited data plan.

I am considering upgrading to 4G LTE. I am told by the at&t customer rep. that I get to keep my unlimited plan, but they will need to change it to 4G LTE unlimited.

Does anyone know if the 4G LTE unlimited is truly unlimited or is one of those soft/hard cap fake Unlimited plan?

CF

I have a very old Unlimited 3G Data Plan computer. It is dated 2005-6.

My usage of the data plan is very erratic. I could go for 6 months without using it at all (working oversea) and then when I am in U.S. I could use up to 10 GB for a couple of months.

I have heard stories of some version of the  “Unlimited” data plan get soft or hard cap. Customers get warning email from at&t and some had over $1000 overage charges because he/she used more than 5GB per month. I never encountered that problem so I am assuming that I have a “true” unlimited data plan.

I am considering upgrading to 4G LTE. I am told by the at&t customer rep. that I get to keep my unlimited plan, but they will need to change it to 4G LTE unlimited.

Does anyone know if the 4G LTE unlimited is truly unlimited or is one of those soft/hard cap fake Unlimited plan?

CF

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2012 9:27:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The 4G LTE unlimited data plan has a soft cap of 5GB.  The 3G data plan has a soft cap of 3GB.

The 4G LTE unlimited data plan has a soft cap of 5GB.  The 3G data plan has a soft cap of 3GB.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

2 of 8 (2,750 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2012 11:33:35 AM
(0)
Tutor

Just to be sure...  my plan is not for phone, but for laptop. It is the $59.95 plan.

CF

Just to be sure...  my plan is not for phone, but for laptop. It is the $59.95 plan.

CF

3 of 8 (2,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2012 11:52:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Oh, sorry.  My answer was for phone data plans.

Oh, sorry.  My answer was for phone data plans.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 8 (2,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2012 3:59:27 PM
(0)
Contributor
throttling data plans. its their way of keeping up thier end of the contract. its not truly unlimited anymore.
throttling data plans. its their way of keeping up thier end of the contract. its not truly unlimited anymore.

5 of 8 (2,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2012 4:00:38 PM
(0)
Contributor

throttling data plans. its their way of honoring the contract without actually honoring the contract

throttling data plans. its their way of honoring the contract without actually honoring the contract

6 of 8 (2,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2012 4:38:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

NP. Thanks for replying. I wasn't clear in my posting.

CF

NP. Thanks for replying. I wasn't clear in my posting.

CF

7 of 8 (2,430 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2012 4:47:46 AM
(0)
Tutor

reply to gowheelin:

The odd thing is that I never got throttled, though my monthly useages flex from 0 MB to 11-13 GB. On average I surely use far less than 5GB monthly. My concern is that if I will lose that flexibility if I "upgraded" to the "new" Unlimited 4G or 4G LTE from my current 3G dataconnect  plan dated 2005 (data only plan for laptop).

CF

reply to gowheelin:

The odd thing is that I never got throttled, though my monthly useages flex from 0 MB to 11-13 GB. On average I surely use far less than 5GB monthly. My concern is that if I will lose that flexibility if I "upgraded" to the "new" Unlimited 4G or 4G LTE from my current 3G dataconnect  plan dated 2005 (data only plan for laptop).

CF

8 of 8 (2,426 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments