REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT -> HTC 7 Pro!!!!

Highlighted
Tutor

REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT -> HTC 7 Pro!!!!

[ Edited ]

Review: http://www.slashgear.com/htc-7-pro-review-12132996/

This is the phone I've been waiting for!!!  I have the ATT Tilt2 and it is NOT my friend, but I do love the form factor and windows mobile, so I've been searching for a similar phone with windows phone 7.  This has (almost) EVERYTHING I WANT!!!

- Great keyboard (the tilt2's keyboard is fantastic)

- WP7!!!!

- Great screen size (current wp7 phone w/keyboards usually sacrifice screen)

- Good tech specs (cpu/ram are pretty par, but at least it's 576MB of RAM, 512MB of ROM)

- Good camera specs (and, after reading the review, apparently has a nice quick button allowing you to get into camera mode very quickly, even bypassing lock)

- 3.5mm jack (SEE YA IPOD!)

Only con:

- Storage not expandable :/, and with that in mind, I wish the would have put more than 8gb storage.

ATT PLEEEEAASE get this phone ASAP!  This is exactly* what I've been waiting 2 years to upgrade to!

*and if you can get it w/an SD slot, you'd be beyond godly.

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I didn't see a "att suggestions" so I figured "community suggestions" would have to do.

Message 1 of 8 (592 Views)
Professor

Re: REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT -> HTC 7 Pro!!!!

[ Edited ]

Just find an online retailer that carries the device in a form compatible with AT&T's network (meaning correct GSM/UMTS bands) and unlocked, then buy it.

Message 2 of 8 (560 Views)
Professor

satchev wrote:

Just find an online retailer that carries the device in a form compatible with AT&T's network (meaning correct GSM/UMTS bands) and unlocked, then buy it.

Not certain, but I believe the only versions of the 7 Pro that exist are the US Sprint, and the Euro version.  The Euro version (unlocked) should work on voice and EDGE data on AT&T, but will not compatible with AT&T's 3G/4G network (UMTS 850/1900 MHz).  The Sprint version is CDMA, so it would not work at all on AT&T.

I wouldn't hold my breath on AT&T releasing this phone.  These days, it seems all the US carriers are trying to keep the phone models they offer "exclusive".

The best hope would be that one of the Canadian carriers picks up the phone.  Telus and Bell Canada share the same 3G frequencies as AT&T.  Unfortunately for the OP, I wouldn't hold my breath on this either.  WP7 market share is dismal, having recently fallen to less than 2% of the marketshare worldwide.  So carriers aren't exactly rushing to picki up too many different WP7 models, and also probably won't pick up a handset that is already several months old.

Message 3 of 8 (548 Views)
Tutor

Maybe they were just waiting for a super awesome phone for wp7?.... like this one??

:/.
Message 4 of 8 (543 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Phrozt wrote:
Maybe they were just waiting for a super awesome phone for wp7?.... like this one??

I don't think they are "waiting" for something that was released 6 months ago.  More likely, if anything, they are looking at newer WP7 handsets in the pipeline, like ones running the upcoming "Mango" version of WP, like the HTC Titan or Radar.  Unfortunately, smartphones with hardware keyboards are becoming fewer and farther in between.  I like me some hardware keyboard, too.  But the trend is towared the slimmer, lighter slate form factor and virtual keyboards.

Have you played around with Android much?  I was a loyal Windows Mobile user for some time also, having owned a Tilt and Tilt2.  But WP7 is too closed an OS, and its really being left in the dust in terms of smartphone competition from Android and iPhone, and therefore 3rd party app support.  Android is extremely customizable and hackable.  So if you are accustomed to modding your Windows Mobile phone, Android is actually more in the spirit of customization than WP7 is.

I now use the HTC Desire Z (an Android phone).  The Bell Canada version the Desire Z (unlocked) is fully compatible with AT&T's 3G network.  It pretty much fulfills all the points you like about the 7 Pro (plus having expandable Micro-SD memory), except for being an Android phone, and not WP7.  Although, this phone can be a bit hard to phone, and still fetches a premium price.

Message 5 of 8 (486 Views)
Tutor

Yeah, I've played around w/my friends' android phones. They're definitely nice, but not necessarily what I want.

I know Android has been more publicly opened, but w/xda developers and the like out there, wp7 is almost as good as any old wm OS in terms of hackability. As long as they have a registry editor (they do) and people who take the time to dig into it (there are), it meets my standards of hackability!

As for apps, I could really care less. It's a numbers game at this point. The only difference between apple/android/wp7 are how many copies of apps available that will do the same thing as the one thing I want to do, and for that, the ratio is 4:2:1. To be honest, the majority of things I've wanted to do come in free apps anyway.

On the other side, as a web developer I'm slightly interested in developing for wp7, so that would be my only real interest in apps, and obviously I'd need a wp7 phone to do so!
Message 6 of 8 (457 Views)

If AT&T were going to offer a discounted version of this phone, they would have already done so. Their specs page indicates they make a version that is AT&T-compatible, but it looks like you'll have to pay full freight for this one.

Phrozt wrote:

Message 7 of 8 (444 Views)
Professor

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

If AT&T were going to offer a discounted version of this phone, they would have already done so. Their specs page indicates they make a version that is AT&T-compatible, but it looks like you'll have to pay full freight for this one.

I noticed the listing for AT&T bands on the specs page, and I think its a mistake (possibly cut-and-paste from another phone's specs).  Neither AT&T nor the Canadain carrier Telus (which is also listed) carry this phone.  And the one US carrier that does carry this phone, Sprint, is not listed.

Message 8 of 8 (418 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.