Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Nov 14, 2009
5:52:26 AM
View profile
Questions about the HTC "Tilt 2":
Edited by Eileen89 on Nov 14, 2009 at 5:56:06 AM

For the longest time now, I have always had Blackberry phones, however, after seeing someone in my workplace using the Tilt 2, I really liked the screen (thought it was bigger than my BB Bold's screen, but I'm not sure). I have the Tilt 1 when it first came out and liked it. Because I mostly use my BB for  the internet, I am more interested in how it works on the Tilt 2......... For those of you that are using The Tilt 2:

1) Do you like it so far?

2) How does both IE and the Opera Mini browser work on it for you? How well do they load large websites? 

3) I heard that this device doesn't support Java. What kinds of things won't I be able to do without Java?

4) Does the Tilt 2 require special servers in order for the "push email" feature to work, like a BB does? 

5) Will it be hard getting use to where everything is on the Tilt 2, or is it fairly easy to navigate through the menus?

This is all the questions that I can think of  now, but I might have more later. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me here.  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Irish Rose on 11-14-2009 08:56:06 AM

For the longest time now, I have always had Blackberry phones, however, after seeing someone in my workplace using the Tilt 2, I really liked the screen (thought it was bigger than my BB Bold's screen, but I'm not sure). I have the Tilt 1 when it first came out and liked it. Because I mostly use my BB for  the internet, I am more interested in how it works on the Tilt 2......... For those of you that are using The Tilt 2:

2) How does both IE and the Opera Mini browser work on it for you? How well do they load large websites? 

3) I heard that this device doesn't support Java. What kinds of things won't I be able to do without Java?

4) Does the Tilt 2 require special servers in order for the "push email" feature to work, like a BB does? 

5) Will it be hard getting use to where everything is on the Tilt 2, or is it fairly easy to navigate through the menus?

This is all the questions that I can think of  now, but I might have more later. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me here.  Smiley Happy

Questions about the HTC "Tilt 2":

[ Edited ]
8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2009 7:32:56 AM
(0)
Guru

Irish Rose wrote:

very much

yes - no problem with large websites if you are in 3G (H) area

Does support Java

You need to have exchange server (either Windows Server 2003 or '07 or better) to sync "over the air" for push email, calendar, tasks, contacts, etc. - that being said, if you don't have a Server, there are programs floating around that will allow you to accomplish the same tasks.

If you have had an HTC phone before, you will have no problem - if this is your first one, then learning curve is easy.

Irish Rose wrote:

very much

yes - no problem with large websites if you are in 3G (H) area

Does support Java

You need to have exchange server (either Windows Server 2003 or '07 or better) to sync "over the air" for push email, calendar, tasks, contacts, etc. - that being said, if you don't have a Server, there are programs floating around that will allow you to accomplish the same tasks.

If you have had an HTC phone before, you will have no problem - if this is your first one, then learning curve is easy.

Re: Questions about the HTC "Tilt 2":

2 of 9 (3,637 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2009 7:43:21 AM
(0)
Master

Irish Rose wrote:

No, I don't like it..I LOVE it.

I don't really use IE much anymore, but Opera works great.

It does support Java.

Never owned a BB.

It's a fairly complex device. It'll definitely take some time getting used to if  you've never been introduced to the WM platform before.

Irish Rose wrote:

No, I don't like it..I LOVE it.

I don't really use IE much anymore, but Opera works great.

It does support Java.

Never owned a BB.

It's a fairly complex device. It'll definitely take some time getting used to if  you've never been introduced to the WM platform before.

3 of 9 (3,633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2009 8:32:46 AM
(0)
Mentor

Irish Rose wrote:

1) Do you like it so far? Heck yea!!

2) How does both IE and the Opera Mini browser work on it for you? How well do they load large websites? No probs..

3) I heard that this device doesn't support Java. What kinds of things won't I be able to do without Java? It works..

4) Does the Tilt 2 require special servers in order for the "push email" feature to work, like a BB does? No you can use SEVEN or even have push email with Gmail.

5) Will it be hard getting use to where everything is on the Tilt 2, or is it fairly easy to navigate through the menus? Yes pretty easy, you will probably miss not having a D-pad..

Irish Rose wrote:

1) Do you like it so far? Heck yea!!

2) How does both IE and the Opera Mini browser work on it for you? How well do they load large websites? No probs..

3) I heard that this device doesn't support Java. What kinds of things won't I be able to do without Java? It works..

4) Does the Tilt 2 require special servers in order for the "push email" feature to work, like a BB does? No you can use SEVEN or even have push email with Gmail.

5) Will it be hard getting use to where everything is on the Tilt 2, or is it fairly easy to navigate through the menus? Yes pretty easy, you will probably miss not having a D-pad..

4 of 9 (3,615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2009 4:54:40 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Eileen89 on Nov 15, 2009 at 4:57:22 AM
Thanks for all of your replies. I went to an AT&T corporate store yesterday, and played around with the new Tilt2 for almost an hour. I compared the browser side by side with my BB Bold. I was absolutely overwhelmed by the whole experience, and decided that the Tilt2,  is definitely not for me........... The Tilt2, and my BB Bold, both had the same 3G signal, however, the browser on my Bold was slightly faster, when it came to fully loading larger websites and Videos. I also used the Reps. Tilt2 because I was having trouble manipulating both phones with the cord attached to the charger, on the demo unit. As it turns out, even the Reps Tilt2 was slower than my BB Bold when it came to loading websites. I also did not like the fact that when I scrolled using my finger, it would open up things that I didn't want it to. Another thing that I couldn't get past was the fact that everything was so spread out in many different places on the Tilt2, as opposed to the way my BB menu is set up. So even though my BB Bold screen is smaller than the Tilt2, I still prefer a Blackberry....... Thanks again for all your relies, it sounds like all of you like your Tilt2, as much as Iove my Blackberry.
Message Edited by Irish Rose on 11-15-2009 07:57:22 AM
Thanks for all of your replies. I went to an AT&T corporate store yesterday, and played around with the new Tilt2 for almost an hour. I compared the browser side by side with my BB Bold. I was absolutely overwhelmed by the whole experience, and decided that the Tilt2,  is definitely not for me........... The Tilt2, and my BB Bold, both had the same 3G signal, however, the browser on my Bold was slightly faster, when it came to fully loading larger websites and Videos. I also used the Reps. Tilt2 because I was having trouble manipulating both phones with the cord attached to the charger, on the demo unit. As it turns out, even the Reps Tilt2 was slower than my BB Bold when it came to loading websites. I also did not like the fact that when I scrolled using my finger, it would open up things that I didn't want it to. Another thing that I couldn't get past was the fact that everything was so spread out in many different places on the Tilt2, as opposed to the way my BB menu is set up. So even though my BB Bold screen is smaller than the Tilt2, I still prefer a Blackberry....... Thanks again for all your relies, it sounds like all of you like your Tilt2, as much as Iove my Blackberry.
Message Edited by Irish Rose on 11-15-2009 07:57:22 AM

[ Edited ]
5 of 9 (3,529 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2009 10:00:37 AM
(0)
Teacher

I had BB for two years before making the switch to a WM phone, just for a change of scenery.  If there's anything Blackberry has going for their phones, it's gotta be how easy/fast it is to do specific tasks such as text, email, etc.  Maybe the browser loaded faster on the Bold, but after having a Curve for a while, having a large screens for web surfing is an absolute joy.  Definitely both phones have their strenghs and weaknesses, but I've definitely warmed up to Windows Mobile despite what many others say.  I would love to get my hands on an Android phone though...

I had BB for two years before making the switch to a WM phone, just for a change of scenery.  If there's anything Blackberry has going for their phones, it's gotta be how easy/fast it is to do specific tasks such as text, email, etc.  Maybe the browser loaded faster on the Bold, but after having a Curve for a while, having a large screens for web surfing is an absolute joy.  Definitely both phones have their strenghs and weaknesses, but I've definitely warmed up to Windows Mobile despite what many others say.  I would love to get my hands on an Android phone though...

6 of 9 (3,414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2009 12:18:23 PM
(0)
Guru
As to issue 3 - the misconception that the device does not support Java is likely because the default browser (Opera Mobile) is detected by many sites as a desktop browser.  This results in things like Google claiming your device isn't supported.  Google has no way of directly testing for Java support - they just compare your browser's useragent string to known strings.  If you use Pocket IE to go to the same sites (like Google's gmail Java app download page), you'll get a completely different result.
As to issue 3 - the misconception that the device does not support Java is likely because the default browser (Opera Mobile) is detected by many sites as a desktop browser.  This results in things like Google claiming your device isn't supported.  Google has no way of directly testing for Java support - they just compare your browser's useragent string to known strings.  If you use Pocket IE to go to the same sites (like Google's gmail Java app download page), you'll get a completely different result.
-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

7 of 9 (3,260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2009 7:14:56 PM
(0)
Mentor

8 of 9 (3,209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2009 5:15:16 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Eileen89 on Nov 19, 2009 at 5:15:56 AM

mkonwise wrote:
See this link.

I read that, thanks. I would have to agree with you as far as the browser goes. Even using Opera, the browser on the Tilt2, was still a few seconds behind my BB Bold when it came to loading web sites, which is the thing that I use the most on my device. As a result, I have already decided that I will be sticking with Blackberry. 

Message Edited by Irish Rose on 11-19-2009 08:15:56 AM

mkonwise wrote:
See this link.

I read that, thanks. I would have to agree with you as far as the browser goes. Even using Opera, the browser on the Tilt2, was still a few seconds behind my BB Bold when it came to loading web sites, which is the thing that I use the most on my device. As a result, I have already decided that I will be sticking with Blackberry. 

Message Edited by Irish Rose on 11-19-2009 08:15:56 AM

[ Edited ]
9 of 9 (3,161 Views)