Questions about MMS messaging using Tilt with no data plan

Mentor

Questions about MMS messaging using Tilt with no data plan

I have had my 8925 Tilt for over two years and up to this point have not had a per-use messaging and data plan (I am grandfatherred from requireing a data plan).  Just recently, I have added unlimited messaging to my family plan mostly to satisfy my daughters and their desire for messaging.

From my understanding, the unlimited messaging plan allows you to send and receive text and media messages like pictures, video, music, etc..  I noticed that MMS goes through MediaNet in order to send these messages.  I also know that internet data also goes through MediaNet.  Up until now, i have disabled MediaNet on my Tilt and have used data solely through WiFi.  However, now that I have unlimited messaging, I have enabled MediaNet.  This has caused me some concerns that I am hoping some of you fine people can help clear up for me.

1.  Is there a limit in size to what can be sent over MMS and if there is, what is it so that I can set my Tilt to not go over the size limit?

2.  What happens with my Outllook and other IMAPI e-mail accounts that I was using over Wifi?  If I have MediaNet enabled, will Push Mail try to go over broadband to get my e-mail or will it still use WiFi?

3.  My Tilt ROM allows me to disable data communications, but I now I sometimes see the little H appear on my status bar indicating that HSPDA is active.  I am assuming this is because I have enabled MediaNet for my messaging.  How can I be sure that my phone does not decide to go look up quick GPS or get the weather over broadband if MMS enables MediaNet?

I know that I could just keep MediaNet disabled and only use SMS, but now that I am paying for messaging, I might as well use it.  I just want to make sure that I don't get a surprise on my bill that shows data usage when all I wanted to do was enable MediaNet for MMS.

Message 1 of 3 (906 Views)
Teacher

Re: Questions about MMS messaging using Tilt with no data plan

Hi Varnk,

When I had my tilt, I also just used it for text messaging.  No internet or other data

access.  There is a .cab floating around that turns off any data access on the phone.

To be sure, I called AT&T, and made sure that the phone did not have internet access.

(everytime I made a change to our account, I had to make sure that they turned it off....

often times it mysteriously got re-enabled)!!  I did not have any picture transfer or anything

else, just text messaging.

Just recently got the Tilt2 cuz work said they'd pay for my data plan.

Good luck!

Tim

Message 2 of 3 (861 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

Re: Questions about MMS messaging using Tilt with no data plan

tim301 wrote:

Hi Varnk,

When I had my tilt, I also just used it for text messaging.  No internet or other data

access.  There is a .cab floating around that turns off any data access on the phone.

To be sure, I called AT&T, and made sure that the phone did not have internet access.

(everytime I made a change to our account, I had to make sure that they turned it off....

often times it mysteriously got re-enabled)!!  I did not have any picture transfer or anything

else, just text messaging.

Just recently got the Tilt2 cuz work said they'd pay for my data plan.

Good luck!

Tim

Thanks for you reply.  I currently use the app called NoData to turn off the data access on the phone, but when I do that I cannot send or receive MMS messages.  I guess I could just turn data on when I want to send. 

I did not know that MMS messages went through MediaNet, so that is part of the problem.  When I enabled MediaNet, I had found that my data connection would mysteriously turn on on it's own during the day, which would make me wonder if it was trying to access data from some other app like Quick GPS or Push Mail.

Message 3 of 3 (856 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.