Helpful Links

Questions Concerning Moving from iPhone4 to iPhone 4s

Questions Concerning Moving from iPhone4 to iPhone 4s

I am upgrading from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4s. I have read all the instructions on the Apple website about moving all content from one device to the other but there are a few things I'm still not sure about. I want to make sure I have all my bases covered since this is my first iPhone upgrade.

 

1. Before backing up the iPhone4 for the final time, I must make sure the new ios5 is available and install it?  

 

2. Should I encrypt this final backup? All other times it has not been encrypted.

 

3. When I connect the new iPhone 4s, will it prompt me for "activation" before the setup phone? And I should select "restore from backup"?

 

4.  I would like to be able to sell the iPhone 4. Should I erase it through iTunes or on the device itself? I don't want to erase the backup from the new iPhone 4s.

 

I would really appreciate any help and advice!! I don't want to risk doing anything incorrectly!  Smiley Happy

 

 

555 Views
Message 1 of 14
Mentor

Re: Questions Concerning Moving from iPhone4 to iPhone 4s

I doubt iOS5 is required on the iP4 -- when you upgrade from iOS4 to iOS5 it'll backup your iOS4 data then install iOS5 and then restore the iOS4 backup so I dont think it'll matter if you do iP4 iOS4 -> iP4 iOS5 -> iP4s iOS5 OR directly iP4 iOS4 -> iP4s iOS5. I would sell it with iOS4 on there so the person who buys it can decide if they want iOS4 or iOS5

 

Encrypting it is up to you

 

It'll ask you to set it up as a new phone or restore from backup so pick backup http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2109

 

Restoring to factory settings http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3828 and make sure you remove your SIM card from the iP4 before selling -- your iP4s comes with a new SIM card alrdy installed so when you activate the new phone, your old iP4 SIM card will be deactivated and it cannot be reused so take it out

Message 2 of 14
Scholar

Re: Questions Concerning Moving from iPhone4 to iPhone 4s


brainwaver wrote:

I am upgrading from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4s. I have read all the instructions on the Apple website about moving all content from one device to the other but there are a few things I'm still not sure about. I want to make sure I have all my bases covered since this is my first iPhone upgrade.

 

1. Before backing up the iPhone4 for the final time, I must make sure the new ios5 is available and install it?  

 

2. Should I encrypt this final backup? All other times it has not been encrypted.

 

3. When I connect the new iPhone 4s, will it prompt me for "activation" before the setup phone? And I should select "restore from backup"?

 

4.  I would like to be able to sell the iPhone 4. Should I erase it through iTunes or on the device itself? I don't want to erase the backup from the new iPhone 4s.

 

I would really appreciate any help and advice!! I don't want to risk doing anything incorrectly!  Smiley Happy

 

 


1) Yes.

 

2) No. The only reason you encrypt a backup is to prevent someone who copies it off of your computer from being able to use it.

 

3) The phone has to be activated, AFAIK, before you can do anything else to it, like restoring a backup. Once it's activated and happy, restore your backup to it.

 

4) Just do it from the phone. From the 3GS forward, it doesn't actually overwrite the data. It just permanently deletes the encryption keys used to encode it, so the data becomes useless and irretrievable.

Message 3 of 14

Re: Questions Concerning Moving from iPhone4 to iPhone 4s

Thanks JaTaN!
So if I choose "restore to factory settings" on the iPhone 4 it won't erase my new iPhone 4s backup, correct?
My confusion with encryption is because there's supposedly some data not moved without encryption. Not sure if that's needed?
Message 4 of 14

Re: Questions Concerning Moving from iPhone4 to iPhone 4s

So I "should" update the 4 to iOS5 before the final backup? I really want to make sure I do this transfer correctly. Thank you both for your help and input!

Message 5 of 14
Mentor

Re: Questions Concerning Moving from iPhone4 to iPhone 4s

Backups should stay on the computer unless you delete it from the computer, go to EDIT -> PREFERENCES -> DEVICES to see the backups

 

Looked up the encryption thing and if you encrypt the backup then it'll also backup your saved passwords for email/wifi/etc

 

Either way you're going to sync & fully backup the 4 first (remember to right click on the phone in iTunes and click backup) then disconnect the 4 from the comp and turn it off. Now turn on the 4s and activate/restore backup on that -- make sure everything is working and transferred over properly then erase the 4

 

Upgrading the 4 to iOS5 first shouldnt matter since your iOS4 backup is compatible with iOS5 -- I'm upgrading from 3GS with iOS 4.3.3 and not worried about it

Message 6 of 14
Scholar

Re: Questions Concerning Moving from iPhone4 to iPhone 4s

That's good to know about the encryped backup since it will save a lot of time when doing a restore going iP4 to iP4S.

Message 7 of 14
Professor

Re: Questions Concerning Moving from iPhone4 to iPhone 4s

When I went from the 3G to my 4, I updated the OS on the 3G to iOS4 (same as that came on the iPhone 4) before doing the backup that was used to restore the iPhone 4. I don't know that it mattered, but it the transfer and restore from a backup went smooth, and if I did it again, I'd make sure the iOS on the old phone was updated before activating the new one.
Message 8 of 14

Re: Questions Concerning Moving from iPhone4 to iPhone 4s

It would be nice if they would release iOS5 prior to shipping the 4s. If they release both on Friday, I'm afraid the iTunes servers will be overloaded with people updating to the new software and will result in a delay in updating and transferring from my 4 over to the new 4s.

Message 9 of 14
Professor

Re: Questions Concerning Moving from iPhone4 to iPhone 4s

Thought they we planning on releasing iOS 5 on Wednesday, two days prior to launch of the iPhone 4S. I think one time in the past they released both the new iOS and a new phone that used the new iOS on the same day and it put a huge hurting on Apple's servers with people trying to download the new iOS and .other activating their new phones at the same time.

IIRC, Apple released iOS4 a few days prior to the iPhone 4 launch. I got my 4 the day before launch day, and already had iOS4 on my 3G at the time.  They had learned their lesson, and I think they still remember it.

Message 10 of 14
Mentor

Re: Questions Concerning Moving from iPhone4 to iPhone 4s

Yep, iOS5 will be available on Wed Oct 12

Message 11 of 14

Re: Questions Concerning Moving from iPhone4 to iPhone 4s

I apologize for all the questions but I'm still a little confused....I have iTunes set to auto sync when I connect my iPhone. I thought it automatically does a full backup? So are you saying after the sync I need to do this? (remember to right click on the phone in iTunes and click backup)

 

 


JaTaN wrote:

Either way you're going to sync & fully backup the 4 first (remember to right click on the phone in iTunes and click backup) then disconnect the 4 from the comp and turn it off. Now turn on the 4s and activate/restore backup on that -- make sure everything is working and transferred over properly then erase the 4

 


 

Message 12 of 14
Mentor

Re: Questions Concerning Moving from iPhone4 to iPhone 4s


brainwaver wrote:

I apologize for all the questions but I'm still a little confused....I have iTunes set to auto sync when I connect my iPhone. I thought it automatically does a full backup? So are you saying after the sync I need to do this? (remember to right click on the phone in iTunes and click backup)

 

 


JaTaN wrote:

Either way you're going to sync & fully backup the 4 first (remember to right click on the phone in iTunes and click backup) then disconnect the 4 from the comp and turn it off. Now turn on the 4s and activate/restore backup on that -- make sure everything is working and transferred over properly then erase the 4

 


 



Yes it does it as part 1 of the sync, but do it again just to make sure

Message 13 of 14
Highlighted

Re: Questions Concerning Moving from iPhone4 to iPhone 4s

Thanks for all the help! :-)
Message 14 of 14
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support