Helpful Links

Question regarding returning device within 30 days

Question regarding returning device within 30 days

Well, AT&T has recently released information regarding two new Android devices, the HTC Inspire and the Motorola Atrix.  My upgrade is due tomorrow, and my phone is starting to get very buggy and I desparately need a new one soon.  The phone I really want is the Motorola Atrix but I do not want to wait the month for it.

Am I allowed to purchase the HTC Inspire when it is released on February 13th, and then on March 6th, when the Atrix is released, can I return the Inspire for the Atrix?

Message 1 of 7

Re: Question regarding returning device within 30 days

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/return-policy.jsp

You can return a phone (with packaging and all included materials) within 30 days, but there will be a restocking fee.  Also, the Atrix is priced higher than the Inspire, so you would pay the difference.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 7
Tutor

Here's how to do it:

Buy your phone ONLINE! If you purchase your phone online you can return it to any AT&T store or send it back with the prepaid shipping label they'll send, WITHOUT a restocking fee. Just be aware that they start counting the 30 days from the time the device SHIPS, not when you receive it... though if they still have the free overnight shipping deal by then it shouldn't be a worry.

Cheers!

EDIT: And don't think of it as returning the Inspire FOR the Atrix, think of it as returning the Inspire, getting your refund, and purchasing the Atrix separately - because that's what you'll be doing.

Message 3 of 7

So if I purchase it online, there is no restocking fee.  Will I be charged any other miscellaneous fees for this?

Message 4 of 7
Master

Peruser wrote:

Here's how to do it:

Buy your phone ONLINE! If you purchase your phone online you can return it to any AT&T store or send it back with the prepaid shipping label they'll send, WITHOUT a restocking fee. Just be aware that they start counting the 30 days from the time the device SHIPS, not when you receive it... though if they still have the free overnight shipping deal by then it shouldn't be a worry.

Cheers!

EDIT: And don't think of it as returning the Inspire FOR the Atrix, think of it as returning the Inspire, getting your refund, and purchasing the Atrix separately - because that's what you'll be doing.

I've seen to many issues with lost phones using AT&T's prepaid shipping labels.  If you want to ship a phone back use a reputable service like UPS or FedEx that you can really track.  AT&T uses SmartLabel a lot of times and its one of the worst services I've seen.  But your better off returning it at a brick&mortar store.

The worse thing is there can also be a delay from when you return a phone to when your upgrade eligibility date gets reset so you can order another phone.  So if something gets hung in the system you could be waiting a while for someone to manually override it in the system.

Message 5 of 7
Tutor

Planet-Ed is right; definitely best to return it at a local store and it's always a good idea to leave a little wiggle room to make sure you don't get stuck with something you don't want.

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Scholar

I'm returning an aircard within the 30 day deadline period. I'm sending it back via UPS & not using their provided USPS return label. The problem is that there is no return address on the prepaid label, just barcode info. How do I find the return address?

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support