Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 24, 2011
6:54:58 AM
View profile
Question for Android veterans..

I'm pretty religious when it comes to closing down apps from running when I'm done with them BUT periodically I will when in Task Manager it says no apps running but when I go to RAM and clear the memory it says is "closing xx Applications"??  I've had up to 17 apps closed by clearing the ram memory, what apps are running when I clear the memory even though according to "Applications" 0 are running??   TIA

I'm pretty religious when it comes to closing down apps from running when I'm done with them BUT periodically I will when in Task Manager it says no apps running but when I go to RAM and clear the memory it says is "closing xx Applications"??  I've had up to 17 apps closed by clearing the ram memory, what apps are running when I clear the memory even though according to "Applications" 0 are running??   TIA

Question for Android veterans..

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2011 7:13:22 AM
(0)
Professor
There are se weal system applications that are running. Some are actual android apps like automatic syncing of Google contacts and data, and some are third party apps and at&t bloatware.
There are se weal system applications that are running. Some are actual android apps like automatic syncing of Google contacts and data, and some are third party apps and at&t bloatware.

Re: Question for Android veterans..

2 of 10 (412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 5:46:52 PM
(0)
Scholar

FredW wrote:

Is there any way to stop the 3rd party & AT&T Bloat apps/services from running??

FredW wrote:

Is there any way to stop the 3rd party & AT&T Bloat apps/services from running??

3 of 10 (351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2011 6:50:55 PM
(0)
Master
Stop closing them. If you don't use them, the android system will learn to load the applications you use and won't load the bloat. Everytime you close the application, you just respawn them.

You can use this app to see exactly which applications are really using your resources.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Stop closing them. If you don't use them, the android system will learn to load the applications you use and won't load the bloat. Everytime you close the application, you just respawn them.

You can use this app to see exactly which applications are really using your resources.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

4 of 10 (345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2011 8:00:58 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by pmt1209 on Nov 27, 2011 at 8:01:53 AM

Ann154 wrote:

I didn't know that!!  I thought closing apps saved memory/battery?

The link for " use this app to see exactly which applications are really using your resources" didn't post, can you repost it please?

Ann154 wrote:

I didn't know that!!  I thought closing apps saved memory/battery?

The link for " use this app to see exactly which applications are really using your resources" didn't post, can you repost it please?

[ Edited ]
5 of 10 (332 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2011 8:37:44 AM
(0)
Master
Sorry forgot to paste the link

https://market.android.com/details?id=nextapp.systempanel
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

6 of 10 (328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2011 9:39:28 AM
(0)
Master

pmt1209 wrote:

idn't know that!!  I thought closing apps saved memory/battery?

Apps need to be loaded from flash memory into RAM in order to run. Loading an app from flash to RAM takes both time (hence the delay) and battery (need to read from flash and write to RAM). Android OS, or any modern phone OS , tries to optimize this process by preloading frequently used apps into the RAM (or keep them there after you close them). When an app is loaded in RAM but not running, it doesn't consume any system resources (like CPU and battery) other than memory which in a phone like GS2 has plenty of them. So, manually kill/close apps are often counter productive especially you usually kill the app that is needed for background syncing and they will automatically re-launch again anyway.

pmt1209 wrote:

Apps need to be loaded from flash memory into RAM in order to run. Loading an app from flash to RAM takes both time (hence the delay) and battery (need to read from flash and write to RAM). Android OS, or any modern phone OS , tries to optimize this process by preloading frequently used apps into the RAM (or keep them there after you close them). When an app is loaded in RAM but not running, it doesn't consume any system resources (like CPU and battery) other than memory which in a phone like GS2 has plenty of them. So, manually kill/close apps are often counter productive especially you usually kill the app that is needed for background syncing and they will automatically re-launch again anyway.

7 of 10 (322 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 5:26:46 AM
(0)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

pmt1209 wrote:

Thanks Ann and Fox, I've probably been using half my resources closing and restarting apps lol... 

foxbat121 wrote:

pmt1209 wrote:

Thanks Ann and Fox, I've probably been using half my resources closing and restarting apps lol... 

8 of 10 (297 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 9:10:39 AM
(0)
Guru

The only reason to use a task killer these days is to kill processes holding wakelocks.

I also usually do a "cleanup kill" on first boot, but ignore anything that respawns unless it is specifically identified to be causing battery problems (via wakelocks or excessive background CPU usage).

The only reason to use a task killer these days is to kill processes holding wakelocks.

I also usually do a "cleanup kill" on first boot, but ignore anything that respawns unless it is specifically identified to be causing battery problems (via wakelocks or excessive background CPU usage).

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

9 of 10 (290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2011 6:09:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

Entropy512-have babies with me ;D

Entropy512-have babies with me ;D

10 of 10 (267 Views)