Question for Android veterans..

Scholar

Question for Android veterans..

I'm pretty religious when it comes to closing down apps from running when I'm done with them BUT periodically I will when in Task Manager it says no apps running but when I go to RAM and clear the memory it says is "closing xx Applications"??  I've had up to 17 apps closed by clearing the ram memory, what apps are running when I clear the memory even though according to "Applications" 0 are running??   TIA

Message 1 of 10 (427 Views)
Professor

Re: Question for Android veterans..

There are se weal system applications that are running. Some are actual android apps like automatic syncing of Google contacts and data, and some are third party apps and at&t bloatware.
Message 2 of 10 (424 Views)
Scholar

FredW wrote:
There are se weal system applications that are running. Some are actual android apps like automatic syncing of Google contacts and data, and some are third party apps and at&t bloatware.

Is there any way to stop the 3rd party & AT&T Bloat apps/services from running??

Message 3 of 10 (363 Views)
Master

Stop closing them. If you don't use them, the android system will learn to load the applications you use and won't load the bloat. Everytime you close the application, you just respawn them.

You can use this app to see exactly which applications are really using your resources.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 10 (357 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Ann154 wrote:
Stop closing them. If you don't use them, the android system will learn to load the applications you use and won't load the bloat. Everytime you close the application, you just respawn them.

You can use this app to see exactly which applications are really using your resources.

I didn't know that!!  I thought closing apps saved memory/battery?

The link for " use this app to see exactly which applications are really using your resources" didn't post, can you repost it please?

Message 5 of 10 (344 Views)
Master

Sorry forgot to paste the link

https://market.android.com/details?id=nextapp.systempanel
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 10 (340 Views)
Master

pmt1209 wrote:

idn't know that!!  I thought closing apps saved memory/battery?

Apps need to be loaded from flash memory into RAM in order to run. Loading an app from flash to RAM takes both time (hence the delay) and battery (need to read from flash and write to RAM). Android OS, or any modern phone OS , tries to optimize this process by preloading frequently used apps into the RAM (or keep them there after you close them). When an app is loaded in RAM but not running, it doesn't consume any system resources (like CPU and battery) other than memory which in a phone like GS2 has plenty of them. So, manually kill/close apps are often counter productive especially you usually kill the app that is needed for background syncing and they will automatically re-launch again anyway.

Message 7 of 10 (334 Views)
Scholar

foxbat121 wrote:

pmt1209 wrote:

idn't know that!!  I thought closing apps saved memory/battery?

Apps need to be loaded from flash memory into RAM in order to run. Loading an app from flash to RAM takes both time (hence the delay) and battery (need to read from flash and write to RAM). Android OS, or any modern phone OS , tries to optimize this process by preloading frequently used apps into the RAM (or keep them there after you close them). When an app is loaded in RAM but not running, it doesn't consume any system resources (like CPU and battery) other than memory which in a phone like GS2 has plenty of them. So, manually kill/close apps are often counter productive especially you usually kill the app that is needed for background syncing and they will automatically re-launch again anyway.

Thanks Ann and Fox, I've probably been using half my resources closing and restarting apps lol... 

Message 8 of 10 (309 Views)

The only reason to use a task killer these days is to kill processes holding wakelocks.

I also usually do a "cleanup kill" on first boot, but ignore anything that respawns unless it is specifically identified to be causing battery problems (via wakelocks or excessive background CPU usage).

Message 9 of 10 (302 Views)
Tutor

Entropy512-have babies with me ;D

Message 10 of 10 (279 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.