Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 22, 2011
6:00:25 AM
View profile
Question: can you put a 3G sim card into a 4G iphone?

It would make sense that I would not be able to. However it would nice if all I had to do was swap out my sim card to upgrade my phone.

It would make sense that I would not be able to. However it would nice if all I had to do was swap out my sim card to upgrade my phone.

Question: can you put a 3G sim card into a 4G iphone?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2011 6:11:59 AM
(0)
Scholar

There are no 4G iPhones, simply does not exist.

The iPhone 4 and 4S both utilize a microSIM. 

The Original iPhone, 3G, and 3GS use a standard size SiM.

To use a standard size SIM in a a 4 or 4S would require cutting the SIM down.

The iPhone 4 and 4S both utilize a microSIM. 

The Original iPhone, 3G, and 3GS use a standard size SiM.

To use a standard size SIM in a a 4 or 4S would require cutting the SIM down.

Re: Question: can you put a 3G sim card into a 4G iphone?

2 of 4 (12,210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2011 6:45:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ryan_ATL wrote:

I guess that depends on what your definition of 4G is. There are no LTE capable iphones (yet) but the Iphone 4S is HSPA+ capable and AT&T does consider HSPA+ to be a 4G technology: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB115944#fbid=KlXa9UfAHvA

Regarding the original question, if it were not for the different size sims, yes you could put your 3G sim card into the iphone 4s and it would work. However, I'm not sure you would get the higher data speeds offered by HSPA+. For that, I believe you do need a sim that is compatible.

Ryan_ATL wrote:

I guess that depends on what your definition of 4G is. There are no LTE capable iphones (yet) but the Iphone 4S is HSPA+ capable and AT&T does consider HSPA+ to be a 4G technology: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB115944#fbid=KlXa9UfAHvA

Regarding the original question, if it were not for the different size sims, yes you could put your 3G sim card into the iphone 4s and it would work. However, I'm not sure you would get the higher data speeds offered by HSPA+. For that, I believe you do need a sim that is compatible.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 4 (12,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2011 7:36:21 AM
(0)
Professor
I don't think the SIM has anything to do with whether you get 3G vs HSPA+ speeds. That is based on the hardware in the phone and maybe your data plan also. The SIM just contains account info. I'm sure there are people using SIMs from their 4 in their 4S and they are working fine.
I don't think the SIM has anything to do with whether you get 3G vs HSPA+ speeds. That is based on the hardware in the phone and maybe your data plan also. The SIM just contains account info. I'm sure there are people using SIMs from their 4 in their 4S and they are working fine.

4 of 4 (12,189 Views)