Question about wi-fi

Scholar

Question about wi-fi

Does sending a picture when connected to wifi count against my data usage. I thought that anything done on wifi did not count against my data usage, but my MIL says differently. So anyone know?

Message 1 of 5 (231 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Question about wi-fi

I guess that would depend upon how you send it.  If you send it via email when connected to wifi, it will use wifi, and not cellular data.  f you send it via MMS, it will not use wifi, and will use the cellular network, but I believe that this is a special case, and it will count as an MMS/SMS message and not data usage.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5 (229 Views)
Guru

Pics sent as an MMS don't count against your data use.
Message 3 of 5 (206 Views)

if you are in a wifi area you dont even need a data package to use your data, so anything you do in wifi area is completly free from data use. except phone calls.

Message 4 of 5 (202 Views)
ACE - Master

WhiteTiger686 wrote:

if you are in a wifi area you dont even need a data package to use your data, so anything you do in wifi area is completly free from data use. except phone calls.

I believe you are slightly mistaken.  I believe you need a cellular data connection in order to use Visual Voice Mail, and to send/receive MMS messages.  The MMS messages do not go against your data plan, but you need the cellular connection.  I also think there is something else that requires cellular data to work right, even if you are on wifi, but I can't remember exactly what it is.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 5 (170 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.