Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 12, 2011
5:34:37 PM
View profile
Question about porting a number

I was reading on c-net about the procedures for porting your phone number from one carrier to another. It said you should not cancel your current contract until you sign up with the new carrier and they will take care of canceling the contract with the old carrier. But it saif it could take anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days before your phone number is ported over to the the new carrier. So my question is would you be able to use your cell phone in the meantime or are you in a sort of cellular limbo until the porting is comeplete?

I was reading on c-net about the procedures for porting your phone number from one carrier to another. It said you should not cancel your current contract until you sign up with the new carrier and they will take care of canceling the contract with the old carrier. But it saif it could take anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days before your phone number is ported over to the the new carrier. So my question is would you be able to use your cell phone in the meantime or are you in a sort of cellular limbo until the porting is comeplete?

Question about porting a number

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 7:01:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

As far as I know, your service with the old carrier will continue until the end of your billing period. The number should remain active on the old phone until it is actually implemented on the new phone. This, at least, is my understanding.

As far as I know, your service with the old carrier will continue until the end of your billing period. The number should remain active on the old phone until it is actually implemented on the new phone. This, at least, is my understanding.

Re: Question about porting a number

2 of 7 (5,268 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 7:43:44 PM
(0)
Master

When I ported my wife's number from VZW to ATT, it took less than 5 minutes.  Until the old carrier processes the request, you old phone would work.  Once processed, the new phone would work,  There might be a small window where neither phone would work.  

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

When I ported my wife's number from VZW to ATT, it took less than 5 minutes.  Until the old carrier processes the request, you old phone would work.  Once processed, the new phone would work,  There might be a small window where neither phone would work.  

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

3 of 7 (5,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 5:42:32 AM
(0)
Professor

You would not cancel your old wireless bill until it is ported correctly. To port your number, you can visit a local branch and ask for assistance on the porting. You will need to have your old wireless bill as the primary holder prior to the transfer.

As the previous posters stated, it may take 5 minutes but it can vary. May take an hour or two but if it's ultimately long, visit your local branch and ask for assistance.

After your number is sucessfully ported, you can contact your old wireless biller to cancel the contract. They will charge their substantial fee and other fees that may apply.

You would not cancel your old wireless bill until it is ported correctly. To port your number, you can visit a local branch and ask for assistance on the porting. You will need to have your old wireless bill as the primary holder prior to the transfer.

As the previous posters stated, it may take 5 minutes but it can vary. May take an hour or two but if it's ultimately long, visit your local branch and ask for assistance.

After your number is sucessfully ported, you can contact your old wireless biller to cancel the contract. They will charge their substantial fee and other fees that may apply.

4 of 7 (5,224 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 5:57:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Yep. I ported three from Sprint to AT&T this summer

1) called sprint ahead of time, found out what the ETF fee would be on various dates, selected date to get new phones

2) got new phones, with new AT&T numbers - phones came 3 days early, so... wait 3 days

3) call the nice helpful people at AT&T, said I wanted to port three numbers (on a Saturday, no less) and... 20 minutes later, all three numbers were ported.

4) called sprint once all three phone numbers were active, verified that accounts were closed. They said porting closes the account, but it never hurts to call in. Last month bill is prorated, plus ETF.

Pretty much same deal happens in wired land. You can't port a number you don't have, and you lose your number as soon as you cancel, so you always have to have both accounts up for at least long enough to port the number over. Porting SHOULD cancel the "from" account, but its safer to check after the port is done (ie, once calling your ported number rings on the right service) just to be sure.

1) called sprint ahead of time, found out what the ETF fee would be on various dates, selected date to get new phones

2) got new phones, with new AT&T numbers - phones came 3 days early, so... wait 3 days

3) call the nice helpful people at AT&T, said I wanted to port three numbers (on a Saturday, no less) and... 20 minutes later, all three numbers were ported.

4) called sprint once all three phone numbers were active, verified that accounts were closed. They said porting closes the account, but it never hurts to call in. Last month bill is prorated, plus ETF.

Pretty much same deal happens in wired land. You can't port a number you don't have, and you lose your number as soon as you cancel, so you always have to have both accounts up for at least long enough to port the number over. Porting SHOULD cancel the "from" account, but its safer to check after the port is done (ie, once calling your ported number rings on the right service) just to be sure.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 7 (5,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 2:58:13 PM
(0)
Scholar

johninsj wrote:

I ported from Verizon to AT&T. It was done instantaneously. I walked out of the AT&T store with my iPhone working on my old number. My old Verizon account, however, continued to exist until the end of the billing cycle. There was no refund for the unused remainder of the month

johninsj wrote:

I ported from Verizon to AT&T. It was done instantaneously. I walked out of the AT&T store with my iPhone working on my old number. My old Verizon account, however, continued to exist until the end of the billing cycle. There was no refund for the unused remainder of the month

6 of 7 (5,159 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 3:40:10 PM
(0)
Master

When I had my number ported from Verizon to ATT a few years back..  I had both phones working for a duration of time.. I did not contact Verizon for the first 24hrs just to make sure the port was complete. Then I called just to make sure they canceled my phone line.

When I had my number ported from Verizon to ATT a few years back..  I had both phones working for a duration of time.. I did not contact Verizon for the first 24hrs just to make sure the port was complete. Then I called just to make sure they canceled my phone line.

7 of 7 (5,144 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments