Question about iphone 4 data plan

Teacher

Question about iphone 4 data plan

how do i know if I'm using wifi or my data? and is there any tips for saving data? Thanks 

Message 1 of 6 (1,152 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Question about iphone 4 data plan

I'd go with a 2GB plan and see if your normal usage is regularly below 200MB - if it is, drop down to that. That aside, always leave WiFi on. If you see the wifi icon instead of 2G/3G, you're using wifi not Cell data. You can turn off cell data completely, then data, voice mail, and MMS won't work but voice and SMS will still work. That's the only way to be sure you're not using any cell data.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (1,137 Views)
Teacher

johninsj wrote:
I'd go with a 2GB plan and see if your normal usage is regularly below 200MB - if it is, drop down to that. That aside, always leave WiFi on. If you see the wifi icon instead of 2G/3G, you're using wifi not Cell data. You can turn off cell data completely, then data, voice mail, and MMS won't work but voice and SMS will still work. That's the only way to be sure you're not using any cell data.

how can i turn off the data? 

Message 3 of 6 (1,124 Views)
Professor

To disable data, there are two places you can:

• Airplane Mode ON - Disables cellphone and other techs, but you can turn on WiFi there
  • Settings / General / Network / Data OFF - Disables non-WiFi features. Note you won't have visual voicemail, MMS, and Phantom Diagnostic Data. You may or may not lose SMS and Voice along with that.
Message 4 of 6 (1,117 Views)
ACE - Professor

You do not loose SMS or voice since neither use cellular data. Airplane mode is the one that shuts off the cellular radio, cellular data off just turns off data.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6 (1,104 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

[ Edited ]

josephz2va wrote:

To disable data, there are two places you can:

• Airplane Mode ON - Disables cellphone and other techs, but you can turn on WiFi there
  • Settings / General / Network / Data OFF - Disables non-WiFi features. Note you won't have visual voicemail, MMS, and Phantom Diagnostic Data. You may or may not lose SMS and Voice along with that.

ok thanks. and if i want to turn it on i should do the same thing? 

Message 6 of 6 (1,098 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.