Question about insurance claim for iphone 4s

Teacher

Question about insurance claim for iphone 4s

I bought my iphone 4s last Friday.  I also enrolled in the insurance plan that covers lost/damage ($6.99/month).  Earlier this afternoon, my son threw my phone in the toilet and I didn't discover it until a few hours later.  I saw some posts recommended to put the phone in a rice bag.  I did that.  Will wait and see if that will rescue it.  I saw waters inside the glass and no power.

my question:

if my phone is dead/damage, can I claim on insurance and get a replacement?  I think someone will buy back my dead phone for maybe $100 so they can use it for parts.  Or I'll have to ship back the dead phone to ATT after I received my replacement?

Message 1 of 7
Master

Re: Question about insurance claim for iphone 4s

You will need to ship the phone back.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 7
Scholar

sqa4life wrote:

I bought my iphone 4s last Friday.  I also enrolled in the insurance plan that covers lost/damage ($6.99/month).  Earlier this afternoon, my son threw my phone in the toilet and I didn't discover it until a few hours later.  I saw some posts recommended to put the phone in a rice bag.  I did that.  Will wait and see if that will rescue it.  I saw waters inside the glass and no power.

my question:

if my phone is dead/damage, can I claim on insurance and get a replacement?  I think someone will buy back my dead phone for maybe $100 so they can use it for parts.  Or I'll have to ship back the dead phone to ATT after I received my replacement?

You should be able to file a claim and get a replacement, BUT ...

Per the fine print, the replacement can be either a new OR refusbished phone (at their option) and you have to pay a deductible. In the case of iPhones, that deductible is ... $199.

Message 3 of 7
Tutor

Since Apple will do an "out of warranty repair" (i.e, replacement with a refurb) for $199, it is not clear to me that this insurance plan has much value.

Message 4 of 7
Teacher

ah, I didn't know about the "Apple will do an "out of warranty repair""  Do I have to enroll in the apple care plan?

If that is true, I'll cancel the insurance with att.

Message 5 of 7
Tutor

You do not have to enroll in Applecare. The costs are here.  

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Scholar

chazas wrote:

Since Apple will do an "out of warranty repair" (i.e, replacement with a refurb) for $199, it is not clear to me that this insurance plan has much value.

I'm honestly not seeing where it has any value, at all.

Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support