Question about exchanging a phone

Teacher

Question about exchanging a phone

I bought a phone last night, an LG Vu and today I noticed that oustide of it is bubbling up and trying to peel off.  The lady at the store I got it from said that I have 30 days to exchange it, which I plan on doing tomorrow, but will I be charged a restocking fee or anything like that?

Thanks in advance. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8 (1,166 Views)
Master

Re: Question about exchanging a phone

es0329 wrote:

I bought a phone last night, an LG Vu and today I noticed that oustide of it is bubbling up and trying to peel off.  The lady at the store I got it from said that I have 30 days to exchange it, which I plan on doing tomorrow, but will I be charged a restocking fee or anything like that?

Yes, unfortunately, you will most likely be charged a $30 restocking fee upon the return of your Vu. When you return it, make sure that you include all of the original packaging and equipment that it came with. I hope this helped. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 8 (1,162 Views)

If you bought the phone from an AT&T-owned store, from the AT&T website, or from AT&T over the phone, if you're returning it for a defect, and if the store determines there's no physical or liquid damage, then there should be no restocking fee.  In my experience, for the store to consider the exchange as being for a defect, you may need to get the same model phone.  If you get a different type of phone, they may consider it as returned because you don't like the phone.

If you bought the original Vu, rather than the Vu Plus, less than 30 days ago, it's unlikely that it came from an AT&T-owned store.  Less can be definitely said about returns with authorized retailers or third parties than about returns directly to AT&T.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 8 (1,135 Views)
Teacher

That's what I figured. :/ I just wish I had noticed the problem before I left store last night. Oh, thank you for reminding me. I probably would have forgotten the charger or something. And thank you for your help. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8 (1,132 Views)
Master

es0329 wrote:

That's what I figured. :/ I just wish I had noticed the problem before I left store last night. Oh, thank you for reminding me. I probably would have forgotten the charger or something. And thank you for your help. Smiley Happy

You're welcome. Smiley Happy Good luck with your next phone.

Message 5 of 8 (1,125 Views)
Teacher

erichamion wrote:

If you bought the phone from an AT&T-owned store, from the AT&T website, or from AT&T over the phone, if you're returning it for a defect, and if the store determines there's no physical or liquid damage, then there should be no restocking fee.  In my experience, for the store to consider the exchange as being for a defect, you may need to get the same model phone.  If you get a different type of phone, they may consider it as returned because you don't like the phone.

If you bought the original Vu, rather than the Vu Plus, less than 30 days ago, it's unlikely that it came from an AT&T-owned store.  Less can be definitely said about returns with authorized retailers or third parties than about returns directly to AT&T.

I bought it from a local AT&T store.  I haven't dropped it or anything that would have caused it to be damaged and I'm planning on getting the same model phone... Do you think that they'll give me problems or try to say it's my fault instead of a defect?

Oh, sorry. It's the LG Vu Plus not the original one.

Thank you for your help. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8 (1,116 Views)
Master

es0329 wrote:

erichamion wrote:

I bought it from a local AT&T store.  I haven't dropped it or anything that would have caused it to be damaged and I'm planning on getting the same model phone... Do you think that they'll give me problems or try to say it's my fault instead of a defect?

Oh, sorry. It's the LG Vu Plus not the original one.

Thank you for your help. Smiley Happy

They just may try to "blame" it on you, but as long as you're content, coooperative, and friendly about it, you should be fine. If the event should occur of the return department accusing you of the defect, then make sure to tell them the full story, and don't leave anything out. They should allow you to return the phone with no hassle, but you never know... Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 8 (1,103 Views)
Professor

es0329 wrote:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/return-policy.jsp

Message 8 of 8 (1,091 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.