Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 31, 2011
12:31:49 PM
View profile
Question about data/wifi on the iphone

Hello I am considering an iphone with either my next upgrade or getting the screen fixed on my nieces old iphone and using it.  I do have a couple of questions though even after reading several posts here.

1.  3G is not available in my area so the iphone will automatically be on edge service.  If I have no apps open how much data if any is the phone using?  Is it only using data say if I get a text message or is it constantly transmitting data?

2. If I have my iphone connected to wifi at either work or home will I still received text messages; this is an especially important question considering I have very spotty service at home.

I will be getting the 200mb plan if I get an iphone and I want to make sure I stay under that limit so these questions are important.  I am also considering an android phone but I like the fact I can buy an itunes card and use that to buy apps and I don't have a google acccount to use the android phones.

Hello I am considering an iphone with either my next upgrade or getting the screen fixed on my nieces old iphone and using it.  I do have a couple of questions though even after reading several posts here.

1.  3G is not available in my area so the iphone will automatically be on edge service.  If I have no apps open how much data if any is the phone using?  Is it only using data say if I get a text message or is it constantly transmitting data?

2. If I have my iphone connected to wifi at either work or home will I still received text messages; this is an especially important question considering I have very spotty service at home.

I will be getting the 200mb plan if I get an iphone and I want to make sure I stay under that limit so these questions are important.  I am also considering an android phone but I like the fact I can buy an itunes card and use that to buy apps and I don't have a google acccount to use the android phones.

Question about data/wifi on the iphone

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2011 1:40:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dragon672 wrote:

1) it uses data when you run an app that uses the internet, and you are not associated with wifi. It *can* use data at other times if you use any "push" services (anything that can receive updates automatically) or anything set to periodically update (like email) *and* if an app is connected to the internet and you've switched to another app.

You can turn off cellular data to prevent all use of cellular data when you don't want it. You can also be sure to plug in your iPhone overnight, if you have wifi at home, since it will turn off wifi after 15 minutes on battery when in standby mode.

2) you get SMS messages no matter what, and they don't count towards data. You won't get MMS messages if you turn off cellular data, as they always come over cellular data.

Android is pretty much exacly the same as iPhone for data use. I would STRONGLY suggest you sign up for 2GB for a couple months - it's only $20 more for 2 months - and monitor your data use via the http://www.att.com/mywireless site.

If you're sure your normal use isn't over 200MB a month, just switch to that after a couple months.

dragon672 wrote:

1) it uses data when you run an app that uses the internet, and you are not associated with wifi. It *can* use data at other times if you use any "push" services (anything that can receive updates automatically) or anything set to periodically update (like email) *and* if an app is connected to the internet and you've switched to another app.

You can turn off cellular data to prevent all use of cellular data when you don't want it. You can also be sure to plug in your iPhone overnight, if you have wifi at home, since it will turn off wifi after 15 minutes on battery when in standby mode.

2) you get SMS messages no matter what, and they don't count towards data. You won't get MMS messages if you turn off cellular data, as they always come over cellular data.

Android is pretty much exacly the same as iPhone for data use. I would STRONGLY suggest you sign up for 2GB for a couple months - it's only $20 more for 2 months - and monitor your data use via the http://www.att.com/mywireless site.

If you're sure your normal use isn't over 200MB a month, just switch to that after a couple months.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Question about data/wifi on the iphone

2 of 3 (269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2011 1:42:45 PM
(0)
Guru

dragon672 wrote:

1. This depends on the applications you're actively using, and if you're using the push notification service, but generally, you shouldn't be using a lot, if any at all.

2. Yes, you'll be able to recieve text messages while connected to Wi-Fi, however, iPhone will only use the AT&T network to send/recieve text messages. So you'll still only get them when you have service.

You'll also have the option to turn off AT&T's data service in settings and solely rely on Wi-Fi, so you can remain under your data limit.

dragon672 wrote:

1. This depends on the applications you're actively using, and if you're using the push notification service, but generally, you shouldn't be using a lot, if any at all.

2. Yes, you'll be able to recieve text messages while connected to Wi-Fi, however, iPhone will only use the AT&T network to send/recieve text messages. So you'll still only get them when you have service.

You'll also have the option to turn off AT&T's data service in settings and solely rely on Wi-Fi, so you can remain under your data limit.

Experience the Underlyingsound.

Re: Question about data/wifi on the iphone

3 of 3 (268 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments