Question about cancelation of account

Contributor

Question about cancelation of account

Okay. So yesterday I purchased an iPhone 4 and signed up for a new contract at an authorized retailer. I need to cancel the account.

My quesiton is, If I go to the AT&T store, and cancel the account - what happens to the iPhone? Technically I cannot return the iPhone to the At&t store as I did not buy it there. But I am allowed to cancel at the At&T store, so what would happen?

Thank you for all your help.

Message 1 of 6 (307 Views)
Expert

Re: Question about cancelation of account

jordandude wrote:

Okay. So yesterday I purchased an iPhone 4 and signed up for a new contract at an authorized retailer. I need to cancel the account.

My quesiton is, If I go to the AT&T store, and cancel the account - what happens to the iPhone? Technically I cannot return the iPhone to the At&t store as I did not buy it there. But I am allowed to cancel at the At&T store, so what would happen?

Thank you for all your help.

Believe you need to handle it throguht he authorized retailer that you obtained the phone from. Some authorizaed dealers have different surcharges, addons and restrictions that a corprote store does not, when you agreed to the ATT terms there probablt was a clause or paragraph that states you agree to the autorized dealer store, while they may be able to cancel teh account at a corporate store it will not release you from the franchaise store's agreement

Message 2 of 6 (302 Views)
Employee

You would need to return to where the phone was purchased. In order to avoid the ETF, the phone has to be returned. As it was an authorized retailer, keep the receipt. Make sure the receipt shows the phone return, the IMEI, and the date. Keep that. Your account should then be cancelled within 3 days. Stay on top of it I'd recommend. Make sure the account is cancelled, and charges are off the bill (if the device is returned the next day, there should be no charges except possible usage).
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 6 (297 Views)
Contributor

But where does it say I must return to where it was purchased? I'm just looking for the fine print. Thanks Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 6 (276 Views)
Expert

jordandude wrote:
But where does it say I must return to where it was purchased? I'm just looking for the fine print. Thanks Smiley Happy

you need to return it to the location it was purchased at, if it is a franchise chain store you need to check with them. ATT will not refund a phone you did not buy from them

Message 5 of 6 (261 Views)
Contributor

I work for AT&T in a retail store. If you cancel the account with us, you will automatically be charged an early termination fee because you did not return the phone where you originally purchased it. So you will be billed in a month for the partial usage plus a $325 ETF fee.

You want to go back where you purchased it so you can get a complete refund, or enjoy the now $524 iPhone.

Message 6 of 6 (240 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.