Question about background apps

Scholar

Question about background apps

Greeting all.  So far I've had my atrix for 24 hours and I love it.  I currently looking for a case for it since the ATT store only had the $50 case.  I've download a few apps and some games so I'm doing good so far.   I do have a couple of questions though.  I've got the app Task Killer and when I go into it there are programs running that I didn't start.  Like ATT Navigator; which I don't use and never tried to use.  I ended the task and the GPS thingy is turned off so I'm a little confused.  I don't want the "push" applications I guess they're called working unless I touch them.  Suggestions?

Message 1 of 18 (744 Views)
Master

Re: Question about background apps

Dump the Task Killer.

The ATT Navigator shouldn't be using your CPU. Every time you kill it, it will just respawn itself and draining the battery faster than if you left it alone. Android OS likes things in its memory. The GPS symbol in your notification bar is slightly troublesome. It means something was actively using the GPS. That will drain the battery. However leaving the phone's GPS on won't drain the battery unless it is active (the GPS symbol will be in the notification bar).

You can install a Task Manager to monitor your applications and for a quick way to end applications when you are having issues. This is the one I use and prefer. I would start with the free version and learn more about which applications are actively running versus the ones loaded into the memory.

https://market.android.com/details?id=nextapp.systempanel

https://market.android.com/details?id=nextapp.systempanel.r1
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 18 (728 Views)
Scholar

Thanks for the suggestions.  I checked my data usage just now and since Wed I've used 3.39MB which isn't bad considering that's setting up the phone at the store as well.  I've not gotten on the browser but one time not using Wifi so I feel comfortable with the 200mb plan and with my phone.  ATT store suggested Task Killer but now I've read here and on motorola's forums that it does more harm than good so I'll be getting rid of it.

I've sent my social networking to sync only when connected to wifi and disabled background data.  The gps hasn't come back on since so I must have accidently turned it on yesterday.  I also set the data sync to check every 60 minutes instead of auto push; but I don't have anything set up except my goggle account which I'm not using. 

I love this phone!! I've ordered a case for it.  It's like my old pocket pc only it makes phone calls!!

Message 3 of 18 (725 Views)
Professor

Also, sometimes if you have a shortcut of "some" apps on your home screens, that can kick off background apps. I recently removed estrongs task killer because, it was actually firing off services in the background. When I remove the app, the group of services stopped. When I reinstalled estrongs, the odd services started loading again. Emaed the developers and sine no response for over a month, I just switched to another task manager.
Message 4 of 18 (722 Views)
Scholar

I've got whatever was installed on the phone on the front screen, camera and settings.  I've downloaded a few free games and I'm thinking they might be using data too.  I'm just going to be parnoid until I figure this out lol.  I know its easy though to call AT&T and have them put on the $25 plan if I need too but I'm trying not too.  There's a couple of map programs I'm thinking about deleting because I've accidently started them a couple of times and I don't need them anyway. 

I've checked my data again today and it was much smaller amount I still don't understand it yet because they were more frequent but I hadn't changed some of my settings yet.  Still loving this phone though.

Message 5 of 18 (715 Views)
Master

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the phone, or otherwise "loving", in your phrase. Smiley Very Happy

Right, those background apps can be nasty, especially if they are data hogs. One thing about Android is, there can be many apps running at once, but you usually have total control over them if they need to be cancelled or otherwise stopped.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 6 of 18 (699 Views)
Scholar

That's part of the reason I picked android over iphone.  I'm slowly figuring out which apps I can close and which to leave running so its all good.  Right now I have mobile data disabled but I'm not sure if I'm receiving all my text messages.

Message 7 of 18 (697 Views)
Master

dragon672 wrote:

That's part of the reason I picked android over iphone.  I'm slowly figuring out which apps I can close and which to leave running so its all good.  Right now I have mobile data disabled but I'm not sure if I'm receiving all my text messages.

You can try sending a text message to yourself to see if it goes through. If it does, you need not worry. If it does not, there could be a problem somewhere.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 8 of 18 (693 Views)
Scholar

I've sent a couple as tests and received replies but my niece said she sent me 2 from her iphone and i only received one of them.

Message 9 of 18 (691 Views)
Professor

Hey Dragon, curious to knòw the outcome of your texting question. Any updates?
Message 10 of 18 (667 Views)
Scholar

I've been leaving mobile data on and I haven't had any more problems.

Message 11 of 18 (541 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

And that is good news!

Androids are our friends!

Message 12 of 18 (536 Views)
Master

Buzz Lightyear, RicoLX?

Just watch your data amount, if you are leaving the mobile data network turned on.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 18 (532 Views)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:
Buzz Lightyear, RicoLX?

Just watch your data amount, if you are leaving the mobile data network turned on.

The one and only!!!  Aint he the Swankest!!?!

Message 14 of 18 (530 Views)
Scholar

I've downloaded an app that monitors my data usage and so far it's been right with ATT except it doesn't show if its like 2.57 mb or whatever just 2.5.  Well also what saves me is my signal isn't good in some areas like my home.  Good enough for a text message but not data and that helps some.  I don't have 3g in my area either just EDGE.

Message 15 of 18 (525 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.