Question about adding a line..

Mentor

Question about adding a line..

Alright, so I have a 2-line family plan right now with one iPhone and one RAZR2 with 550 minutes shared between me and my mom. We pay $108 after tax..

My sister has an individual plan on T-Mobile and her contract ends on March 1st. So I wanted to add her onto our 2-line plan and port her number. But do I add her on March 1st or after? I do not want to be charged an ETF from T-mobile.

Also since a new line makes me extend my contract, can I get a new phone out of it for the new line? Either Free or a discounted one?

Message Edited by deepen03 on 02-24-2010 07:19:19 PM
Message 1 of 6
Master

Re: Question about adding a line..

Not sure about T-Mobile but with ATT you can cancel on the last day of the contract.  If your unsure call T-Mobile and as them their policy.

When you port your sisters number you can get a phone at the discounted price if you accept a 2 year contract for that line. 

If you already have a phone she can use, or purchase one at full price, or from a third party she can start service without having to sign a 2-year contract.

Also remember there can be other fees depending on the type of phone.  Smartphones, iPhones and Blackberry devices require at least a $30 month data plan.  Quick Message and Consumer Touch devices (QMD) require at least a $20 month message or message/data combo.

Message 2 of 6
Mentor

Wel she has a blackberry, but I obviously won't tell them that when I add her. Im gonna just show them some cheap phone, get the AT&T sim card and pop it into my sister's blackberry without telling them. Its a T-mobile blackberry too, so there is no way for them to know.. It'll just say Unknown Device on the AT&T account.

and I just spoke with T-mobile, the agent told me that I can cancel after the last day of the contract and there is no ETF.

Message Edited by deepen03 on 02-27-2010 09:55:59 AM
Message 3 of 6
ACE - Expert

Is the blackberry unlocked? If it hasn't been unlocked from the T-Mobile service, it cannot be used on at&t.

If it is unlocked, there is no guarantee that AT&T won't be able to tell (at least at sometime)

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6
Professor

oh and its not going to extend the contract on your two lines that you currently have, you will only get a contract on the new line if she gets a new phone at the discounted pricing.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 6
Professor

Also, be sure not to cancel Tmobile service before porting the number.  Once service is discontinued, the number can not be ported. 
Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support