Ask a question

Posted Aug 20, 2010
    8:36:16 AM
    View profile
    Question about 200 MB $15 Data Plan...

I am considering getting a Smartphone as my next upgrade which will not be until next year.

I currently have a Nokia Mural with the $10 Unlimited Family Data Plan and this past month have used 17,353 KB of data. If I am correct, this would be around 17 or so MB.

I think with whatever data that I use now, that when and if I do get a Smartphone, the 200 MB/mo data plan should work for me. I do not plan on streaming music or video, which to me, only uses up the battery life. I will be using it for email, FB and other websites.

Do you think I would be making the right chioce here going with the 200 MB/mo plan?

Thanks for your feedback. Smiley Happy

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Question about 200 MB $15 Data Plan...

10 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (10)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 20, 2010 8:40:58 AM
    (0)
    Professor

My son went over 200MB only three times in the two years he's had an iPhone, and that's with fairly medium level usage. (That was before I introduced him to SIRIUS/XM, so now he's approaching 1GB) Smiley Very Happy

So yes, 200MB should be perfect for you.

Posted from my iPhone 4. Look at me I'm hot and nerdy.

Re: Question about 200 MB $15 Data Plan...

2 of 11 (20,785 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 20, 2010 8:43:34 AM
    (0)
    Expert

Thanks Starfall!! Believe me, I would absulutely LOVE to have Pandora or Sirius but I know it would just eat up the battery for since I'd have it playing as long as I could. Smiley Tongue

Thanks for your reply. This helps me a lot. Smiley Happy

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

3 of 11 (20,782 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 4, 2010 5:02:07 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Mentor

Most of the time, I seem to find that I'm near some wifi network, so if your son just looks around he should find that he might be able to be on wifi a lot. Many restaurants, malls, and now even my grocery store has wifi.

Plus, I don't know how old your son is, but if he is going off to college soon, most have wifi over the whole campus.

You can stretch that 200MB of data if you just pay attention to whats available around you.

4 of 11 (19,425 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 27, 2010 6:16:16 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Tutor
    Edited by FreakyLocz14 on Oct 27, 2010 at 6:16:51 PM

Causal web surfing over 3G should be fine on the 200 MB plan. Pay attention and connect to Wi-Fi whenever possible. Also, do not stream video over 3G (that's the biggest culprit). I would also avoid downloading apps and streaming music over 3G.

[ Edited ]
    5 of 11 (18,515 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 30, 2010 8:19:10 PM
    (0)
    Guru

Dcookie, I got an iPhone 4 last June and have not used even half of the 200mg on the plan.  I have wifi at home and find that it is available in many places I go-the library, my mother's assisted living facility, coffee places, parts of the local mall, bookstores, etc.  I just make sure that I don't download or update any apps unless I am using wifi. I also do not allow any push notifications and my email is checked only when I have wifi.  If you are ever concerned about holding a wifi signal, just turn off data so the phone won't be able to switch.

I love my iPhone and am really enjoying using wifi and data.  The 200 mg is plenty for me.  I think you will use more data if you get a smartphone, but if you have wifi  most of the time you should be fine.

6 of 11 (17,434 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 2, 2010 4:11:01 AM
    (0)
    Expert

ormom51 wrote:

Dcookie, I got an iPhone 4 last June and have not used even half of the 200mg on the plan.  I have wifi at home and find that it is available in many places I go-the library, my mother's assisted living facility, coffee places, parts of the local mall, bookstores, etc.  I just make sure that I don't download or update any apps unless I am using wifi. I also do not allow any push notifications and my email is checked only when I have wifi.  If you are ever concerned about holding a wifi signal, just turn off data so the phone won't be able to switch.

I love my iPhone and am really enjoying using wifi and data.  The 200 mg is plenty for me.  I think you will use more data if you get a smartphone, but if you have wifi  most of the time you should be fine.

Thanks ormom51. I don't have wifi at home...hopefully I soon will since I would like to get myself a laptop. So, we shall see. I still have awhile to go before I can upgrade anyway. Smiley Happy

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

7 of 11 (17,370 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 2, 2010 3:45:57 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Mentor

I also use my iPhones with Wi-Fi when at home, which is most of the time.  HOWEVER, even though my Wi-Fi connection is strong and always on, I nevertheless use data in small 50 kb to 100 kb, sometimes less, increments several times a day!  What is that!  This will not make me come close to my 200 MB limits/month but it is disconcerting to be using chargeable bandwidth for no apparent reason.  Can anyone help with this?  Thanks.

8 of 11 (17,342 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 21, 2010 5:22:09 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

I've read where you need to actually turn off the Cellular, 3G or whatever it's called when your connected to Wi-Fi to prevent unecessary data transfers via cellular.  Is this easy to do on a Captivate?  Or with any Android phone?

THanks

9 of 11 (16,721 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 21, 2010 5:28:19 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

timbuk2okc wrote:

I've read where you need to actually turn off the Cellular, 3G or whatever it's called when your connected to Wi-Fi to prevent unecessary data transfers via cellular.  Is this easy to do on a Captivate?  Or with any Android phone?

THanks

I would think so. I'm I'm not mistaken, all you would need to do is go to the phone's settings, look for data/3G connectivity, and turn it "OFF" temporarily. I think that's how it works.

And when you're done, you can just switch it back on with no problem.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 11 (16,718 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 21, 2010 8:44:31 PM
    (0)
    Guru

timbuk2okc wrote:

THanks

You don't really need to do this, but there is a setting you'll want to change (only once, unless you factory reset the phone).  By factory default, an Android phone will only stay connected to wi-fi when you're actively using the phone, and the wi-fi radio turns off when the display goes blank.  You don't want this.

Go to Settings -> Wireless and network -> Wi-Fi settings.  Then (the only un-obvious step), press Menu.  Choose Advanced.  Change Wi-Fi sleep policy from "When screen turns off" to "Never."  Now you'll be on wi-fi as long as you're in range of a known network.

11 of 11 (6,715 Views)