Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 2, 2011
12:31:34 PM
View profile
Question: If I Buy a Used, Unlocked 3Gs Iphone Can I Use ATT

as the carrier? Or do you have to buy the phone thru ATT to use them as a carrier. I know T-Mobile offers this possibility but does ATT? Thanks.

as the carrier? Or do you have to buy the phone thru ATT to use them as a carrier. I know T-Mobile offers this possibility but does ATT? Thanks.

Question: If I Buy a Used, Unlocked 3Gs Iphone Can I Use ATT

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 1:03:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

If the phone is truly unlocked, it will work with any compatible carrier (meaning GSM).

AT&T cannot stop you from using any unlocked device on their network.

If the phone is truly unlocked, it will work with any compatible carrier (meaning GSM).

AT&T cannot stop you from using any unlocked device on their network.

Re: Question: If I Buy a Used, Unlocked 3Gs Iphone Can I Use ATT

2 of 7 (1,857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 1:33:20 PM
(0)
Expert

Woodyman1 wrote:

Yes you can connect it to ATT's network, thing you need to realy that the phone that is claimed to be unlocked may just be jail broke and the first time you upgrade the IOS it will relock to the carrier it was originally purchased from and if the carrier is ATT neither ATT nor Apple will assist you  in unlocking the phone again.  Be very careful what you buy it may not be what you think it is

Woodyman1 wrote:

Yes you can connect it to ATT's network, thing you need to realy that the phone that is claimed to be unlocked may just be jail broke and the first time you upgrade the IOS it will relock to the carrier it was originally purchased from and if the carrier is ATT neither ATT nor Apple will assist you  in unlocking the phone again.  Be very careful what you buy it may not be what you think it is

3 of 7 (1,847 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 5:17:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Woodyman1 wrote:

I don't think any iphone 3GS was ever sold carrier unlocked. If not, then this one was unlocked through other means.

Since the 3Gs originally ran on AT&T, it should work fine on AT&T.

Woodyman1 wrote:

I don't think any iphone 3GS was ever sold carrier unlocked. If not, then this one was unlocked through other means.

Since the 3Gs originally ran on AT&T, it should work fine on AT&T.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 7 (1,824 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2011 11:30:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
There's an unlocked 3GS sold by Apple now, but I doubt that the OP has that one. I could be wrong, though.
There's an unlocked 3GS sold by Apple now, but I doubt that the OP has that one. I could be wrong, though.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 7 (1,774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2011 6:28:24 PM
(0)
Scholar

21stNow wrote:

As far as I know, only the 4 and 4S are sold unlocked by Apple. I don't think the 3GS is available as an unlocked phone.

21stNow wrote:

As far as I know, only the 4 and 4S are sold unlocked by Apple. I don't think the 3GS is available as an unlocked phone.

6 of 7 (1,726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2011 8:26:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

smalcom wrote:

21stNow wrote:

It's not well known, which is why I doubted that the OP had the factory unlocked iPhone 3GS.  We had this discussion in another thread, so I didn't post the link in my previous post.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC637

smalcom wrote:

21stNow wrote:

It's not well known, which is why I doubted that the OP had the factory unlocked iPhone 3GS.  We had this discussion in another thread, so I didn't post the link in my previous post.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC637

7 of 7 (1,717 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments