Question 11113020

Contributor

Question 11113020

I assume that many iPhone users have seen the news that if you send 'yes' to 11113020 that you get a message back saying that at&t will add 1000 rollover minutes to your account.  

Is this legit?

Message 1 of 40 (39,505 Views)
Professor

Re: a Re: Question 11113020

smalcom wrote:

21stNow wrote:

smalcom wrote:

There's a sucker born every minute.

How is anyone being a sucker?

Why would anyone believe anything that was so farfetched? Nobody questions anything anymore. How may emails have you received from people telling you to text some company or forward an email and you will get money or something for free? That's what I mean by a sucker born every minute. Learn to question what seems outrageous. Just because it comes in an email, is posted on the Internet, or comes as a text doesn't mean it's factual.

How is it not questioning when I called AT&T before I even got the text message to see if it was for real?  That's what I normally do in these situations.  I get emails from my friends all the time about some crazy offer.  If I call them to see if they actually sent it, they usually say no.  I know that people are hacking email accounts now to send messages to everyone in their address book.  I have often heard that these things happen with text messges, too.  I don't concern myself with rogue text messages as much, because I have all texts blocked on my iPhone.  The only ones that I can receive are from AT&T.

Message 16 of 40 (11,454 Views)
Professor

Just did it. Got the confirm maybe 5 min. later. Then got two more confirms another 5 min. apart. Tells you to wait 4 weeks for the system to update it. Gotta love this forum!
Message 17 of 40 (10,541 Views)
Professor

That's what I'm getting: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 18 of 40 (10,379 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

johninsj wrote:

Actually, it's not a thrid party service - since I have those blocked for free via the parental controls option, and it worked...

You should do that too, it's quite a good idea with all the SMS scams out there.

The parental controls doesn't prevent short or long code messages that I'm aware of.

Are you thinking of the message blocking  used to prevent email to SMS spam.  (i.e. email as text or MMS, MOBILENUMBER@txt.att.netMOBILENUMBER@mms.att.net etc etc)

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&loca...

Message 19 of 40 (10,008 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

Planet-Ed wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Actually, it's not a thrid party service - since I have those blocked for free via the parental controls option, and it worked...

You should do that too, it's quite a good idea with all the SMS scams out there.

The parental controls doesn't prevent short or long code messages that I'm aware of.

Are you thinking of the message blocking  used to prevent email to SMS spam.  (i.e. email as text or MMS, MOBILENUMBER@txt.att.netMOBILENUMBER@mms.att.net etc etc)

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&loca...

There is a block for premium sms messages - it's called purchase block. If you turn it on, you cannot purchase anything via SMS. Very handy.

Edit: it's here http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-WirelessParentalControls

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 40 (9,524 Views)
Master

johninsj wrote:

There is a block for premium sms messages - it's called purchase block. If you turn it on, you cannot purchase anything via SMS. Very handy.

That would be partially correct.  The purchase blocker is not solely for SMS messages and it does not block the messages themselves from reaching you.  

What the purchase blocker covers is the DirectBill service which covers a lot more.  This can include things like said SMS subscriptions/fees, ringtones, applications, games, wallpapers, FamilyMap, MobiTV, music radio service etc etc.  

There are a lot of services that can be billed directly to your AT&T account.  You can also check and manage your subscriptions for each line here:

http://www.att.com/directbill/

Message 22 of 40 (6,336 Views)
Scholar

Who wants 1000 free minutes?

All u gotta do is text "yes" to 11113020. I got mine.
HTH.
Message 20 of 40 (6,244 Views)
Scholar

Re: Question 11113020

Allyou doughters are gonna look dumb when u realize you're makin a mountain outta molehill,and u start texting toget yours!
Message 23 of 40 (6,146 Views)
Scholar

Can u say paranoid? Relax
Message 24 of 40 (6,135 Views)
ACE - Professor

Planet-Ed wrote:

johninsj wrote:

That would be partially correct.  The purchase blocker is not solely for SMS messages and it does not block the messages themselves from reaching you.  

What the purchase blocker covers is the DirectBill service which covers a lot more.  This can include things like said SMS subscriptions/fees, ringtones, applications, games, wallpapers, FamilyMap, MobiTV, music radio service etc etc.  

There are a lot of services that can be billed directly to your AT&T account.  You can also check and manage your subscriptions for each line here:

http://www.att.com/directbill/

Yep... all the crap I don't want anyone to "accidentially" add is covered.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 25 of 40 (6,009 Views)
Scholar

Looks like summa u guys gotta learn how to overide your paranoia with your gut feeling.
So the question remains. Is it real?...
Message 26 of 40 (5,417 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:
Looks like summa u guys gotta learn how to overide your paranoia with your gut feeling.
So the question remains. Is it real?...

We'll know in about 4 weeks.

Message 27 of 40 (5,375 Views)
Scholar

Is there any way to verify that this number belongs to AT&T rather than some third party?  A man I work with ended up signing up for something like a daily bible verse, never received anything yet ended up with a charge on his monthly bill.  He says he has no idea what would have triggered this.  I'm skeptical of anything that I can't confirm first.

Message 28 of 40 (4,742 Views)
ACE - Professor

bkmjk wrote:

Is there any way to verify that this number belongs to AT&T rather than some third party?  A man I work with ended up signing up for something like a daily bible verse, never received anything yet ended up with a charge on his monthly bill.  He says he has no idea what would have triggered this.  I'm skeptical of anything that I can't confirm first.

This is exactly what the purchase block I mentioned above would prevent.

The code 11113020 is "odd" - standard short codes are 5 or 6 digits long. It's 8. It doesn't seem to show up in any short code directory.

Message 29 of 40 (4,584 Views)
Professor

johninsj wrote:

The code 11113020 is "odd" - standard short codes are 5 or 6 digits long. It's 8. It doesn't seem to show up in any short code directory.

My AT&T confirmation text for bill payment received is from a similar number, 11113008.

Message 30 of 40 (4,497 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.