Wireless Forums

Posted Feb 11, 2011
2:10:00 PM
View profile
Question 11113020

I assume that many iPhone users have seen the news that if you send 'yes' to 11113020 that you get a message back saying that at&t will add 1000 rollover minutes to your account.  

Is this legit?

I assume that many iPhone users have seen the news that if you send 'yes' to 11113020 that you get a message back saying that at&t will add 1000 rollover minutes to your account.  

Is this legit?

Question 11113020

37 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(37)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 2:17:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The commenters on PhoneDog said that it was.  I haven't tried it myself to see.

The commenters on PhoneDog said that it was.  I haven't tried it myself to see.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Question 11113020

2 of 38 (38,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 2:24:38 PM
(0)
Employee
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 38 (38,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 2:49:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I just called Premier customer care and was told that AT&T is offering 1000 free rollover minutes, but the text has to be sent to you, then you have to respond to it.  She said that I could not just text into that number.  If I don't receive the text, then I am not eligible.

Internet posts contradict this information, but I will wait and see.  I won't be able to use all the rollover minutes that I have now, so it's not a big deal if I don't get more.

I just called Premier customer care and was told that AT&T is offering 1000 free rollover minutes, but the text has to be sent to you, then you have to respond to it.  She said that I could not just text into that number.  If I don't receive the text, then I am not eligible.

Internet posts contradict this information, but I will wait and see.  I won't be able to use all the rollover minutes that I have now, so it's not a big deal if I don't get more.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 38 (38,245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 3:03:38 PM
(0)
Scholar

There's a sucker born every minute.

a Re: Question 11113020

5 of 38 (38,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 4:21:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

21stNow wrote:

Each of my friend does what the site says, and each get a confirmation.  We are all premier customer.  It works!!

21stNow wrote:

Each of my friend does what the site says, and each get a confirmation.  We are all premier customer.  It works!!

6 of 38 (37,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 6:09:20 PM
(0)
Guru

It's legit. It was posted on dealnews 5 hours ago.

http://dealnews.com/AT-T-iPhone-owners-Get-1-000-rollover-minutes-for-free/434831.html

It's legit. It was posted on dealnews 5 hours ago.

http://dealnews.com/AT-T-iPhone-owners-Get-1-000-rollover-minutes-for-free/434831.html

7 of 38 (36,506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 6:41:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

jareddd wrote:

Is this legit?

It is legit that you can txt yes to that number... even if you did not get a txt first. You may get a confirmation back. I don't know if AT&T will then, at some point, screen out ineligible folks.

Depending on your usage pattern, this might be handy. I'm always dumping 500 minutes of my 550 minutes into rollover month after month... I current have just under 2.5 days of talk time rolled over, I doubt I will ever use that, let alone an additional 1000 minutes.... but I txted to it anyway, and got a confirmation txt back.

Why? Because it was there.

jareddd wrote:

Is this legit?

It is legit that you can txt yes to that number... even if you did not get a txt first. You may get a confirmation back. I don't know if AT&T will then, at some point, screen out ineligible folks.

Depending on your usage pattern, this might be handy. I'm always dumping 500 minutes of my 550 minutes into rollover month after month... I current have just under 2.5 days of talk time rolled over, I doubt I will ever use that, let alone an additional 1000 minutes.... but I txted to it anyway, and got a confirmation txt back.

Why? Because it was there.

8 of 38 (36,244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 6:53:19 PM
(0)
Master

I already have 9500 rollover minutes.  Not sure if I could even use more.  

I already have 9500 rollover minutes.  Not sure if I could even use more.  

9 of 38 (36,134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 7:32:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

smalcom wrote:

How is anyone being a sucker?

smalcom wrote:

Re: a Re: Question 11113020

10 of 38 (35,597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 8:02:29 PM
(0)
Master

21stNow wrote:

smalcom wrote:

There was always the possibility it was a scam getting people to sign up for some third party service by replying YES since its hard to confirm 11113020 is actually an AT&T message service number. Just because it said AT&T in the message didn't automatically make it real.

While yes its most likely real, people in general are too quick in believing/clicking everything they see online.  Thats why spammers, viruses, phising, hoaxes, trojans etc do so well.

21stNow wrote:

smalcom wrote:

There was always the possibility it was a scam getting people to sign up for some third party service by replying YES since its hard to confirm 11113020 is actually an AT&T message service number. Just because it said AT&T in the message didn't automatically make it real.

While yes its most likely real, people in general are too quick in believing/clicking everything they see online.  Thats why spammers, viruses, phising, hoaxes, trojans etc do so well.

11 of 38 (11,570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 8:49:05 PM
(0)
Guru

From what I read elsewhere, the offer apparently isn't limited to only AT&T iPhone users--I texted from my wife's Motorola V600 about 10 minutes ago and just received the confirmation text on her phone...in addition to receiving it on my iPhone as well.  Wonder if the 1000 minutes will be applied on a per-line basis if each phone on a family plan received the confirmation, or if it's just 1000 minutes total no matter how may phones on the account received it.

FWIW--the V600 received two confirmation text msgs within minutes of each other.

From what I read elsewhere, the offer apparently isn't limited to only AT&T iPhone users--I texted from my wife's Motorola V600 about 10 minutes ago and just received the confirmation text on her phone...in addition to receiving it on my iPhone as well.  Wonder if the 1000 minutes will be applied on a per-line basis if each phone on a family plan received the confirmation, or if it's just 1000 minutes total no matter how may phones on the account received it.

FWIW--the V600 received two confirmation text msgs within minutes of each other.

12 of 38 (11,396 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 8:53:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
@Ed, I see what you are saying. I thought of the spamming possibility, too. That's why I called AT&T first. I didn't confirm the number with her when she said that I couldn't initiate the text anyway.
@Ed, I see what you are saying. I thought of the spamming possibility, too. That's why I called AT&T first. I didn't confirm the number with her when she said that I couldn't initiate the text anyway.

13 of 38 (11,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 12:37:27 AM
(0)
Scholar

21stNow wrote:

smalcom wrote:

Why would anyone believe anything that was so farfetched? Nobody questions anything anymore. How may emails have you received from people telling you to text some company or forward an email and you will get money or something for free? That's what I mean by a sucker born every minute. Learn to question what seems outrageous. Just because it comes in an email, is posted on the Internet, or comes as a text doesn't mean it's factual.

21stNow wrote:

smalcom wrote:

Why would anyone believe anything that was so farfetched? Nobody questions anything anymore. How may emails have you received from people telling you to text some company or forward an email and you will get money or something for free? That's what I mean by a sucker born every minute. Learn to question what seems outrageous. Just because it comes in an email, is posted on the Internet, or comes as a text doesn't mean it's factual.

14 of 38 (11,007 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 6:29:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Planet-Ed wrote:

21stNow wrote:

smalcom wrote:

Actually, it's not a thrid party service - since I have those blocked for free via the parental controls option, and it worked...

You should do that too, it's quite a good idea with all the SMS scams out there.

Planet-Ed wrote:

21stNow wrote:

smalcom wrote:

Actually, it's not a thrid party service - since I have those blocked for free via the parental controls option, and it worked...

You should do that too, it's quite a good idea with all the SMS scams out there.

15 of 38 (10,787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 7:17:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

smalcom wrote:

21stNow wrote:

smalcom wrote:

How is it not questioning when I called AT&T before I even got the text message to see if it was for real?  That's what I normally do in these situations.  I get emails from my friends all the time about some crazy offer.  If I call them to see if they actually sent it, they usually say no.  I know that people are hacking email accounts now to send messages to everyone in their address book.  I have often heard that these things happen with text messges, too.  I don't concern myself with rogue text messages as much, because I have all texts blocked on my iPhone.  The only ones that I can receive are from AT&T.

smalcom wrote:

21stNow wrote:

smalcom wrote:

How is it not questioning when I called AT&T before I even got the text message to see if it was for real?  That's what I normally do in these situations.  I get emails from my friends all the time about some crazy offer.  If I call them to see if they actually sent it, they usually say no.  I know that people are hacking email accounts now to send messages to everyone in their address book.  I have often heard that these things happen with text messges, too.  I don't concern myself with rogue text messages as much, because I have all texts blocked on my iPhone.  The only ones that I can receive are from AT&T.

16 of 38 (10,677 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 11:57:09 AM
(0)
Professor
Just did it. Got the confirm maybe 5 min. later. Then got two more confirms another 5 min. apart. Tells you to wait 4 weeks for the system to update it. Gotta love this forum!
Just did it. Got the confirm maybe 5 min. later. Then got two more confirms another 5 min. apart. Tells you to wait 4 weeks for the system to update it. Gotta love this forum!

17 of 38 (9,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 12:40:46 PM
(0)
Professor
That's what I'm getting: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
That's what I'm getting: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

18 of 38 (9,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 2:32:07 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Planet-Ed on Feb 12, 2011 at 2:34:25 PM

johninsj wrote:

The parental controls doesn't prevent short or long code messages that I'm aware of.

Are you thinking of the message blocking  used to prevent email to SMS spam.  (i.e. email as text or MMS, MOBILENUMBER@txt.att.netMOBILENUMBER@mms.att.net etc etc)

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&loca...

johninsj wrote:

The parental controls doesn't prevent short or long code messages that I'm aware of.

Are you thinking of the message blocking  used to prevent email to SMS spam.  (i.e. email as text or MMS, MOBILENUMBER@txt.att.netMOBILENUMBER@mms.att.net etc etc)

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB92121

[ Edited ]
19 of 38 (9,231 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 5:54:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by johninsj on Feb 12, 2011 at 6:12:04 PM

Planet-Ed wrote:

johninsj wrote:

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&loca...

There is a block for premium sms messages - it's called purchase block. If you turn it on, you cannot purchase anything via SMS. Very handy.

Edit: it's here http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-WirelessParentalControls

Planet-Ed wrote:

johninsj wrote:

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB92121

There is a block for premium sms messages - it's called purchase block. If you turn it on, you cannot purchase anything via SMS. Very handy.

[ Edited ]
21 of 38 (8,747 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 7:19:26 PM
(0)
Master

johninsj wrote:

That would be partially correct.  The purchase blocker is not solely for SMS messages and it does not block the messages themselves from reaching you.  

What the purchase blocker covers is the DirectBill service which covers a lot more.  This can include things like said SMS subscriptions/fees, ringtones, applications, games, wallpapers, FamilyMap, MobiTV, music radio service etc etc.  

There are a lot of services that can be billed directly to your AT&T account.  You can also check and manage your subscriptions for each line here:

http://www.att.com/directbill/

johninsj wrote:

That would be partially correct.  The purchase blocker is not solely for SMS messages and it does not block the messages themselves from reaching you.  

What the purchase blocker covers is the DirectBill service which covers a lot more.  This can include things like said SMS subscriptions/fees, ringtones, applications, games, wallpapers, FamilyMap, MobiTV, music radio service etc etc.  

There are a lot of services that can be billed directly to your AT&T account.  You can also check and manage your subscriptions for each line here:

22 of 38 (5,559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 5:16:40 PM
(0)
Scholar
All u gotta do is text "yes" to 11113020. I got mine.
HTH.
All u gotta do is text "yes" to 11113020. I got mine.
HTH.

Who wants 1000 free minutes?

20 of 38 (5,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 11:38:44 PM
(0)
Scholar
Allyou doughters are gonna look dumb when u realize you're makin a mountain outta molehill,and u start texting toget yours!
Allyou doughters are gonna look dumb when u realize you're makin a mountain outta molehill,and u start texting toget yours!

23 of 38 (5,369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 11:51:21 PM
(0)
Scholar
Can u say paranoid? Relax
Can u say paranoid? Relax

24 of 38 (5,358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2011 6:21:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Planet-Ed wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Yep... all the crap I don't want anyone to "accidentially" add is covered.

Planet-Ed wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Yep... all the crap I don't want anyone to "accidentially" add is covered.

25 of 38 (5,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2011 1:49:12 AM
(0)
Scholar
Looks like summa u guys gotta learn how to overide your paranoia with your gut feeling.
So the question remains. Is it real?...
Looks like summa u guys gotta learn how to overide your paranoia with your gut feeling.

26 of 38 (4,640 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2011 5:55:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:

We'll know in about 4 weeks.

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:

We'll know in about 4 weeks.

27 of 38 (4,598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2011 6:47:53 AM
(0)
Scholar

Is there any way to verify that this number belongs to AT&T rather than some third party?  A man I work with ended up signing up for something like a daily bible verse, never received anything yet ended up with a charge on his monthly bill.  He says he has no idea what would have triggered this.  I'm skeptical of anything that I can't confirm first.

Is there any way to verify that this number belongs to AT&T rather than some third party?  A man I work with ended up signing up for something like a daily bible verse, never received anything yet ended up with a charge on his monthly bill.  He says he has no idea what would have triggered this.  I'm skeptical of anything that I can't confirm first.

28 of 38 (3,965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2011 10:06:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

bkmjk wrote:

This is exactly what the purchase block I mentioned above would prevent.

The code 11113020 is "odd" - standard short codes are 5 or 6 digits long. It's 8. It doesn't seem to show up in any short code directory.

bkmjk wrote:

This is exactly what the purchase block I mentioned above would prevent.

The code 11113020 is "odd" - standard short codes are 5 or 6 digits long. It's 8. It doesn't seem to show up in any short code directory.

29 of 38 (3,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2011 11:40:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

johninsj wrote:

My AT&T confirmation text for bill payment received is from a similar number, 11113008.

johninsj wrote:

My AT&T confirmation text for bill payment received is from a similar number, 11113008.

30 of 38 (3,720 Views)