Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 23, 2008
9:42:02 AM
QUESTION
I have a Blackberry 8300 Curve. Heres the problem.. the USB port on my phone seems like it got mangled somehow. When I connect it to my computer it still charges but it wont connect to my computer, like i cant use the desktop manager to connect to the phone or anything, but it still charges the phone battery. What do i need to do to get this fixed? can i just bring it to an att store and they can fix it? or do i need to buy a whole new phone? Any help would be appreciated thanks! - Jessica
I have a Blackberry 8300 Curve. Heres the problem.. the USB port on my phone seems like it got mangled somehow. When I connect it to my computer it still charges but it wont connect to my computer, like i cant use the desktop manager to connect to the phone or anything, but it still charges the phone battery. What do i need to do to get this fixed? can i just bring it to an att store and they can fix it? or do i need to buy a whole new phone? Any help would be appreciated thanks! - Jessica

QUESTION

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2008 10:58:13 AM
(0)
Guru
First thing would be to try a different USB port on your computer.
First thing would be to try a different USB port on your computer.

Re: QUESTION

2 of 9 (3,172 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2008 12:28:29 PM
(0)
Teacher
yea i have tried that..my computers usb port isnt broken.. i use them for other things like my i pod and dig camera so they work..its my phones usb port...
yea i have tried that..my computers usb port isnt broken.. i use them for other things like my i pod and dig camera so they work..its my phones usb port...

3 of 9 (3,156 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2008 11:44:00 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by jevangil on Feb 23, 2008 at 11:50:32 PM
It sounds like it could be the wrong cable. The Blackberry cables are thicker than most USB Sync cables I have seen. The Sync cable for my Tilt looks almost identical to the BB cable, just a little smaller in diameter on the wire.

Other cables may not use the same pin-out that RIM uses for their BB cables. So, just to be sure you are using the BB cable, and not one for your digital camera or something, look at the plug that goes into the phone, It should have the word "UP" and an arrow on one side of it.

Another thing to check for is to see if there is anything in the miniUSB port on the phone itself. Lint, or other tiny particulate matter can get in there causing problems with the contacts.

Message Edited by jevangil on 02-23-2008 11:50:32 PM
It sounds like it could be the wrong cable. The Blackberry cables are thicker than most USB Sync cables I have seen. The Sync cable for my Tilt looks almost identical to the BB cable, just a little smaller in diameter on the wire.

Other cables may not use the same pin-out that RIM uses for their BB cables. So, just to be sure you are using the BB cable, and not one for your digital camera or something, look at the plug that goes into the phone, It should have the word "UP" and an arrow on one side of it.

Another thing to check for is to see if there is anything in the miniUSB port on the phone itself. Lint, or other tiny particulate matter can get in there causing problems with the contacts.

Message Edited by jevangil on 02-23-2008 11:50:32 PM

[ Edited ]
4 of 9 (3,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2008 12:35:50 PM
(0)
Professor
Are you sure you have Desktop Manager correctly installed?  It won't find it if the driver for the BB (installed with DM) isn't properly installed.
Are you sure you have Desktop Manager correctly installed?  It won't find it if the driver for the BB (installed with DM) isn't properly installed.

5 of 9 (3,046 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2008 1:14:06 PM
(0)
Teacher
yes i have it installed correctly..ive used it for months....like i said..the usb port on my PHONE looks like it got mangled somehow and it still DOES charge through my computer..it just wont connect to desktop manager anymore.. do i need to replace my phone or can i go to the at&t store and they can fix it??
yes i have it installed correctly..ive used it for months....like i said..the usb port on my PHONE looks like it got mangled somehow and it still DOES charge through my computer..it just wont connect to desktop manager anymore.. do i need to replace my phone or can i go to the at&t store and they can fix it??

6 of 9 (2,998 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2008 2:36:08 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Max69 on Feb 26, 2008 at 2:37:34 PM
Try this.

First, close Desktop Manager if it's open.

Connect the BB, right click My Computer and pick Manage. Click on Device Manager, and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers. If BlackBerry Device is there, right click it and pick Uninstall and say OK to the warning. Now disconnect the BB, start Desktop Manager and reconnect the BB. The computer should find it again.

If it doesn't work and you end up taking it to the store, how long you've had the phone will probably decide wether they want to replace it or fix it.

Message Edited by Max69 on 02-26-2008 05:37:34 PM
Try this.

First, close Desktop Manager if it's open.

Connect the BB, right click My Computer and pick Manage. Click on Device Manager, and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers. If BlackBerry Device is there, right click it and pick Uninstall and say OK to the warning. Now disconnect the BB, start Desktop Manager and reconnect the BB. The computer should find it again.

If it doesn't work and you end up taking it to the store, how long you've had the phone will probably decide wether they want to replace it or fix it.

Message Edited by Max69 on 02-26-2008 05:37:34 PM

[ Edited ]
7 of 9 (2,987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2008 8:33:16 AM
(0)
Professor

jessicah044 wrote:
like i said..the usb port on my PHONE looks like it got mangled somehow