[Q] Help/advice getting my AT&T upgrade earlier?

Contributor

[Q] Help/advice getting my AT&T upgrade earlier?

I'm due for a device upgrade on Aug 3rd. I really don't want to wait that long (who ever does?), so I called AT&T and sweettalked the ATT lady (being nice pays off!) She said I'm not technically eligible yet, but it's close enough that she would put a note on my account saying that ATT CS authorized me to do an early upgrade for regular upgrade price. Yay!

I've settled on the HTC One X as my next device, and I found an awesome deal for it at a local AT&T reseller ($99 instead of the $199 most other places charge). The only problem is that apparently "AT&T 'Authorized Resellers' " don't have any access to the "account notes", and even if they did, they can't override an early upgrade. So I'm in a catch 22 - I could get it cheap at the reseller (but I'd have to wait until Aug 3), OR I could (apparently, with the note on my account) walk into AT&T TODAY and upgrade (but I'd have to pay the full $200 for the phone).

Any ideas on how I might swing the early upgrade at the awesome price? I want my cake, and I wanna EAT it TOO, darnit!! I called CS and asked if they could change the actual upgrade date on my account instead of just putting a note on it, but they said that's only ever done if it was entered incorrectly.

Message 1 of 6 (931 Views)
Highlighted

Re: [Q] Help/advice getting my AT&T upgrade earlier?

Perhaps you could visit an AT&T Corporate Store & ask them about price-matching. If they're not willing to do that, you could ask them to print out the notes section of your account.

Message 2 of 6 (892 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, I don't think printing out the notes section would help, since the ATT resellers say it's not that they are UNWILLING to do an early upgrade - they aren't even CAPABLE of doing it.

I'll keep looking into price matching.  They've already told me no, but I keep calling during different shifts so I get different people.

Thanks again for the reply!

Message 3 of 6 (887 Views)
ACE - Scholar

Did you call "Resolution" Department or just customer service. Sometimes  the Resolution Department has some creative ways

to help you out.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6 (871 Views)
Contributor

Oh, I don't even know who the resolution department is - I've just been calling 611 from my phone. How do I call resolution department?

Thanks for the idea!
Message 5 of 6 (845 Views)
ACE - Scholar

Resolution is similar to retention department of other companies. Just call 611 or customer service land line and ask for resolution department. They generally look at your account. If you have been a good customer, they will try to make you happy. You may not get everything you want but won't hurt to ask.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 6 (839 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.