Pure/Tilt2- Freezes after sending texts!

Teacher

Pure/Tilt2- Freezes after sending texts!

Has anybody else experienced this problem?  It gives an error message regarding "shell32.exe". 

It just powered off and won't turn back on unless I do a hard reset.  Other times it has just frozen and I had to do a hard reset. 

NOT very happy about this, at all.

{Tilt2 added to subject line}

Message Edited by mod.moose on 11-03-2009 07:55:12 PM
Message 1 of 128
Scholar

Re: Pure - Freezes after sending texts!

I got that too....yeah, they're looking into it, very encourging.

Message 61 of 128
Professor

I got an email from HTC with a bunch of tools to install on the phone for debugging. It looks like they are on top of things.
Message 62 of 128
Professor

For those of you who have received the dubugging tools from HTC, those will most likely affect battery life. I asked them how do I remove them, after sending them the logs, and here is their answer:

The only way to stop the logs from continuing to be created on the phone is to open DebugTool.exe again, and replace the 435 flags field to 0 flags and then tap Menu and Write.

After I send them the logs I plan to do a hard reset, as you can see from the above, that the tool will still be installed on your phone, but this is a small price to pay if I can assist HTC in finding out what the issue is.

Message 63 of 128
Tutor

AT&T keeps telling me to replace the phone again. But I keep telling them there is an issue with the Pure. They want to follow up again with me.

I just want them to be aware of the issue so they can work with HTC if needed to send out an update to their customers.

The tech support guy says there's no log of this issue. But if people keep calling in then it'll show up on their radar and they'll take a more proactive approach.

Again, they're just going to call me back in another week to follow up to see if the issue is resolved or if I want to switch phones.

Message 64 of 128
Professor

TenchiZ06 wrote:

AT&T keeps telling me to replace the phone again. But I keep telling them there is an issue with the Pure. They want to follow up again with me.

I just want them to be aware of the issue so they can work with HTC if needed to send out an update to their customers.

The tech support guy says there's no log of this issue. But if people keep calling in then it'll show up on their radar and they'll take a more proactive approach.

Again, they're just going to call me back in another week to follow up to see if the issue is resolved or if I want to switch phones.

HTC is obviously aware of this issue as you can read in this thread and is working with users to trouble shoot them. I would urge you to open a trouble ticket with HTC. They will probably offer you to help them trouble shoot it like they did to the rest of us. In fact, the more users who help them out, the faster a fix will be issued. I am sure the relevant department at AT&T is aware of it and is working with HTC to resolve it.
Message 65 of 128
Contributor

I have had this problem with the tilt 2 as well, so I urge users of either to inform HTC
Message 66 of 128
Professor

Re: Pure / Tilt2 - Freezes after sending texts!

Did anyone manage to replicate the issue after installing the debug tools from HTC?
Message 67 of 128
Scholar

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon with this issue also.  I lurked on this one when it was a Pure only issues, but I've had this randomly with my Tilt 2, exactly as others have described.  It has to do with sliding out the keyboard, since I disabled the notification within a day or so of getting the phone.

So to clarify -- the phone randomly freezes when sliding out the keyboard to respond to a text message, with TF3D, on a Tilt 2.  Only a soft reset will make the phone respond again.  I can't necessarily replicate the problem, but it continues to happen once every few days (and my kids text me a LOT).

Message 68 of 128

I want to add that on my Tilt 2, sometimes I get a blinking cursor even though the phone is otherwise frozen. The cursor will continue to blink, but nothing else works. I, too, have to do a soft reset.

Grr.

Message 69 of 128
Professor

Has anyone been able to successfully install the debug tools from HTC (if they received it from them)? I was trying to intall them but I get the message that it cannot be installed as the app is not signed. I have emailed back to HTC.
Message 70 of 128
Contributor

Re: Pure/Tilt2- Freezes after sending texts!

I have had this exact same problem on my brand new HTC Pure.  I noticed it only occured when sending text messags in landscape, and when the sent notification tried to appear on the screen.  It would cause one or two errors.   Devices.exe, guessing when i tried to return to portrait view and the shell32.exe.  I would have to pull the battery to clear..  I did not try a soft reset by using the reset button, which is located in side the stylus sleeve. 

I have since disabled the SMS Sent Notification and have not had the problem since.. 

To disable this notification you have to edit the registy of the phone.  I dont recommend if your are unsure how to do this, or if you don't know what the registry is.  I have included the key to change, if you attempt to make this change.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Setting s]
"SMSDeliveryNotify"=dword:00000001

Message 71 of 128
Teacher

I already suggested this (and provided a .cab to do it for you) a few pages earlier. Unfortunately, the Tilt2 apparently has the same problem when the physical keyboard is retracted, and disabling the sent notification doesn't work for the people that have tried it. It does most definitely fix the Pure however.
Message 72 of 128
Professor

thejohnus wrote:
I already suggested this (and provided a .cab to do it for you) a few pages earlier. Unfortunately, the Tilt2 apparently has the same problem when the physical keyboard is retracted, and disabling the sent notification doesn't work for the people that have tried it. It does most definitely fix the Pure however.

It resolves the issue by disabling it, but does not fix it. The other part of the issue is that the screen rotates to portrait and back to landscape, regardless of disabling the notification.
Message 73 of 128
Scholar

I actually disabled notifications since the first day I received the phone by manually modifying the reg values but I do still have the issue. I'm going to try to pay attention today to when it happens before I contact HTC to give them something useful. I have a Tilt 2 still running the stock ROM. I was just about to flash to NRG's rom or RRE's but if I do this won't get fixed, and my company might be going for these two phones to replace our aging Moto Q9h's. I don't want there to be any problems, especially not with a phone I recommend. So flashing will wait for now.

edit: Well well, it just did it. I manually opened up the text messages inbox, clicked on my wife's thread, replied using the on-screen keyboard, clicked send and it was fine. When I hit the hardware back key, it froze when it came back to the list of threads. You could see the list of threads, but the section at the top where you change folders from inbox to whatever was blank. I'm going to contact them now and see what happens.

Message Edited by Memnoch30 on 11-09-2009 01:31:48 PM
Message 74 of 128
Teacher

guandalf: do you honestly like having the sms sent notification? I - and everyone I know personally with WinMo phones - find it incredibly irritating.

And because the problem seems to lie with the screen orientation switching, I think it may have to do with TouchFlo 3D which by default, doesn't support the switch (except in a few areas, such as SMS). I'm curious...has anyone disabled TouchFlo completely (including HTC's SMS app...using only Microsoft's), and if so, do they have this issue?

Message 75 of 128
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support