Pure/Tilt2- Freezes after sending texts!

Teacher

Pure/Tilt2- Freezes after sending texts!

[ Edited ]

Has anybody else experienced this problem?  It gives an error message regarding "shell32.exe". 

It just powered off and won't turn back on unless I do a hard reset.  Other times it has just frozen and I had to do a hard reset. 

NOT very happy about this, at all.

{Tilt2 added to subject line}

Message Edited by mod.moose on 11-03-2009 07:55:12 PM
Message 1 of 128 (9,430 Views)
Mentor

Re: Pure - Freezes after sending texts!

I am not able to retrieve that cab file...  any other ways
Message 46 of 128 (3,813 Views)
Teacher

Why exactly can't you download the file?  I don't see any other way, unless you can find it somewhere else. I chose sharebee because it uploads it to multiple file hosts to increase its availability. And there's always the registry edit...
Message 47 of 128 (3,778 Views)

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I've had SMS sent notifications turned off for a couple of days, and my phone still freezes when texting. The issue seems to be tied to switching to landscape mode and sliding out the keyboard to reply to a message. About 25% of the time when I do it, the phone freezes hard and I have to use the reset button. I'm still experimenting, because my theory is that it only happens if I slide out the keyboard at just the right moment--I just haven't pinpointed that moment.

Between that, the 1.5 Mbps download limit, the inability to configure the LEDs, and the caller ID disappearing issue, I've been REALLY disappointed in the quality of this phone. The download limit and LED config thing are by design, but the caller ID and freezes are just poor quality. As the responses on these boards show, these two problems are very obvious to most anyone who has used the phone for a couple of days. How does a phone make it into consumers' hands with these sort of issues?!

Message 48 of 128 (3,749 Views)
Professor

ParrotHead_FL wrote:

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I've had SMS sent notifications turned off for a couple of days, and my phone still freezes when texting. The issue seems to be tied to switching to landscape mode and sliding out the keyboard to reply to a message. About 25% of the time when I do it, the phone freezes hard and I have to use the reset button. I'm still experimenting, because my theory is that it only happens if I slide out the keyboard at just the right moment--I just haven't pinpointed that moment.

Between that, the 1.5 Mbps download limit, the inability to configure the LEDs, and the caller ID disappearing issue, I've been REALLY disappointed in the quality of this phone. The download limit and LED config thing are by design, but the caller ID and freezes are just poor quality. As the responses on these boards show, these two problems are very obvious to most anyone who has used the phone for a couple of days. How does a phone make it into consumers' hands with these sort of issues?!

Based on your repsonse, you own a Tilt 2, correct?
Message 49 of 128 (3,743 Views)

Yep!
Message 50 of 128 (3,741 Views)
Professor

ParrotHead_FL wrote:
Yep!

Interesting. I thought this was a Pure issue only. I must admit, you are the first one with a Tilt 2 who I have seen reporting it. It may be worth for you to start a Tilt2 thread with the same topic.
Message 51 of 128 (3,475 Views)

D'oh! I wasn't looking closely enough--now I see the thread is about the Pure rather than Tilt2....
Message 52 of 128 (3,474 Views)
Professor

No probs. "good" to know, Tilt 2 users have similar issues.
Message 53 of 128 (3,470 Views)
Teacher

I have a Tilt 2, and I noticed this happened a few times. As parrot has mentioned, it is at a specific time when I slide the keyboard that my device locks up. If I get the correct time it freezes when I slide the keyboard, I'll post an update. 

Message 54 of 128 (3,432 Views)
Scholar

Honestly, I didn't have any issue with texting on my tilt2. It gets a little sluggish sometimes but didn't freeze, and I always slide the keyboard to text.
Message 55 of 128 (3,417 Views)

Slim - Did you slide the keyboard out before tapping "Reply"?

I'm thinking that may be the variable... I tend to tap Reply first, then slide the keyboard and change to landscape. I'm going to try sliding the keyboard out before tapping Reply and seeing if that makes a difference.

Message 56 of 128 (3,409 Views)
Scholar

I usually slide the keyboard before replying, but i've tested it today for about 25-30 times... it didn't happen not even after I hit reply - from TF nor from Windows.
Message 57 of 128 (3,376 Views)
Professor

After my last email to HTC, I finally got a reply confirming (sort of) that there is an issue....

Thank you for contacting HTC about your HTC Pure freezing.

We are currently looking into this issue. We will be in contact with you when we have some troubleshooting we can do with you. 

Please feel free to contact us with any future inquiries you may have.

HTC Technical Support Team

Message 58 of 128 (3,344 Views)
Scholar

Agree, at least it seems like they're aware of/admit there is a problem.  OR they're just paying lip-service, I'd like to think they are aware of it...

"Hello James,

Thank you for contacting HTC about your AT&T Pure that is freezing when sending SMS in landscape.

We are currently looking into this issue. From what I understand, when you send a text message in landscape mode it sends the message then goes to portriat and then back to landscape and the message sent pop up comes up and that is when it freezes. This only does this periodically.

If you could add in any other factors that would help. Can you try putting in in protrait mode after sending the message to see it it still freezes then?

James, Please feel free to contact us with any future inquiries you may have.

HTC Technical Support Team"

Message 59 of 128 (3,321 Views)
Professor

Hey guys, I got another email from them, this time even more encouraging. They asked me to help them trouble shoot it and collect debug logs and send it to them.

Here is the reply:

I need some additional information.

When you send the text message is it through the TouchFlo 3d interface or through the start menu? Also would you be interested in collecting debug logs? This would help us tremendously. Please get back with me with this information. I would grestly appreciate it. I hope we are able to fix this very soon.

Thank you for your patience. Please feel free to contact us with any future inquiries.

Message 60 of 128 (3,280 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.