Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 17, 2009
6:37:44 PM
View profile
Pure/Tilt2- Freezes after sending texts!
Edited by mod.moose on Nov 3, 2009 at 7:55:12 PM

Has anybody else experienced this problem?  It gives an error message regarding "shell32.exe". 

It just powered off and won't turn back on unless I do a hard reset.  Other times it has just frozen and I had to do a hard reset. 

NOT very happy about this, at all.

{Tilt2 added to subject line}

Message Edited by mod.moose on 11-03-2009 07:55:12 PM

Has anybody else experienced this problem?  It gives an error message regarding "shell32.exe". 

It just powered off and won't turn back on unless I do a hard reset.  Other times it has just frozen and I had to do a hard reset. 

NOT very happy about this, at all.

{Tilt2 added to subject line}

Message Edited by mod.moose on 11-03-2009 07:55:12 PM

Pure/Tilt2- Freezes after sending texts!

[ Edited ]
127 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(127)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2009 10:13:12 AM
(0)
Employee
2 Hotfixes were released for each of these devices this morning to resolve issues with the device freezing in the SMS application and inconsistent behavior of the Caller ID.
See the below links for further details:

Tilt 2: http://www.htc.com/us/support/tilt-2-att/downloads/
PURE: http://www.htc.com/us/support/pure-att/downloads/

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

2 Hotfixes were released for each of these devices this morning to resolve issues with the device freezing in the SMS application and inconsistent behavior of the Caller ID.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Pure/Tilt2- Freezes after sending texts!

91 of 128 (2,600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2009 10:17:04 AM
(0)
Tutor
Awesome! Will install them now. Thank you!
Awesome! Will install them now. Thank you!

92 of 128 (2,598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2009 10:28:49 AM
(0)
Professor
Thanks AT&T and HTC for getting those fixes out there fast!
Thanks AT&T and HTC for getting those fixes out there fast!

93 of 128 (2,591 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2009 10:38:57 AM
(0)
Mentor

Guess all those calls, emails, and product exchanges worked. Excellent work gang, and especially you HTC and AT&T. Thanks for the quick turnaround.

For my part, the caller ID issue has not manifested itself on my phone since the first week I owned it, and the SMS freeze never. I'll hold off on installing these for a while.

Regards,

-V

Guess all those calls, emails, and product exchanges worked. Excellent work gang, and especially you HTC and AT&T. Thanks for the quick turnaround.

For my part, the caller ID issue has not manifested itself on my phone since the first week I owned it, and the SMS freeze never. I'll hold off on installing these for a while.

Regards,

-V

94 of 128 (2,580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2009 1:38:49 PM
(0)
Professor

Tbones wrote:

Installed them! So far so good. Not a single sms freeze. Never had though a caller ID issue on the Pure. I thgouth this was a TIlt 2 issue only, but installed the update anyway.

Tbones wrote:

Installed them! So far so good. Not a single sms freeze. Never had though a caller ID issue on the Pure. I thgouth this was a TIlt 2 issue only, but installed the update anyway.

95 of 128 (2,544 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2009 3:30:40 PM
(0)
Mentor

I wonder if ATT will software push these?

Does anyone know if you can install them from your phone instead of going through your PC? 

Does anyone know if you can install them from your phone instead of going through your PC? 

96 of 128 (2,528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2009 3:39:50 PM
(0)
Professor

rschatz wrote:

They are installed from your phone and not PC. You download them to your PC, but copy them over to your phone and install them there.

rschatz wrote:

They are installed from your phone and not PC. You download them to your PC, but copy them over to your phone and install them there.

97 of 128 (2,526 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2009 4:12:01 PM
(0)
Mentor

Installed.  Excellent news. Smiley Happy 

Hope it works.  Will keep this forum updated.! 

Installed.  Excellent news. Smiley Happy 

Hope it works.  Will keep this forum updated.! 

98 of 128 (2,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2009 4:41:17 PM
(0)
Mentor
Right, but can you download them directly from your phone and install directly from there without involving your PC.  I can't active sync because I have managed to get Epocrates installed on my phone, even though it's not supposed to be compatabile, and I don't want to risk messing with it.
Right, but can you download them directly from your phone and install directly from there without involving your PC.  I can't active sync because I have managed to get Epocrates installed on my phone, even though it's not supposed to be compatabile, and I don't want to risk messing with it.

99 of 128 (2,507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2009 5:55:06 PM
(0)
Professor

rschatz wrote:

Then download them and email the files to yourself.

rschatz wrote:

Then download them and email the files to yourself.

100 of 128 (2,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2009 9:16:48 AM
(0)
Guru

rschatz wrote:

What is epocrates not compatible with?  Winmo 6.5?  I have it on my Tilt-1 running 6.1 and want to upgrade to the Tilt-2 and I NEED epocrates.

rschatz wrote:

What is epocrates not compatible with?  Winmo 6.5?  I have it on my Tilt-1 running 6.1 and want to upgrade to the Tilt-2 and I NEED epocrates.

101 of 128 (3,220 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2009 9:24:09 AM
(0)
Teacher

I am very curious about what the problem with HTC Tilt 2 and Epocrates is.  I also have it on the original Tilt running just fine. 

Could Epocrates be part of the problem with the phone running sluggishly and getting weird error messages?

Judy

I am very curious about what the problem with HTC Tilt 2 and Epocrates is.  I also have it on the original Tilt running just fine. 

Could Epocrates be part of the problem with the phone running sluggishly and getting weird error messages?

Judy

102 of 128 (3,214 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2009 6:51:02 PM
(0)
Mentor
I don't think Epocrates is making your phone run slow.  They just seem slower than the Tilt 1 to me in general.  The problem is that Epocrates is Windows Mobile 6.1 compatable, but NOT 6.5.  As far as I can tell the problem is with the install process/updater, but if you get it on your phone it runs fine.  I read a thread on XDA that said that if you have Windows Mobile 6.1 you can install it to the storage card and then update to 6.5 and it works.  Luckily, I still had my Tilt 1 and had Epocrates installed on the storage card from there.  It's working fine for me, but I'm afraid to active sync, afraid it will make it NOT work again if it auto-updates.  I'm not sure if it would or not.  I've contacted Epocrates customer service.  They said 6.5 compatability is something they're working on.  I'm surprised it's taken them this long.  Go e-mail them.  Maybe a little pressure will make them work on it faster.
I don't think Epocrates is making your phone run slow.  They just seem slower than the Tilt 1 to me in general.  The problem is that Epocrates is Windows Mobile 6.1 compatable, but NOT 6.5.  As far as I can tell the problem is with the install process/updater, but if you get it on your phone it runs fine.  I read a thread on XDA that said that if you have Windows Mobile 6.1 you can install it to the storage card and then update to 6.5 and it works.  Luckily, I still had my Tilt 1 and had Epocrates installed on the storage card from there.  It's working fine for me, but I'm afraid to active sync, afraid it will make it NOT work again if it auto-updates.  I'm not sure if it would or not.  I've contacted Epocrates customer service.  They said 6.5 compatability is something they're working on.  I'm surprised it's taken them this long.  Go e-mail them.  Maybe a little pressure will make them work on it faster.

103 of 128 (3,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2009 7:48:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

Since Epocrates is one of my everyday apps, it's the first thing I installed on my T2.  I didn't realize it wasn't supposed to be compatible with WinMo 6.5 -- installed and worked perfectly.  Doesn't seem to be any slower than it was on my old Tilt.

But that's off-topic a bit.  Downloading and installing the hotfixes now -- finally!!!

Since Epocrates is one of my everyday apps, it's the first thing I installed on my T2.  I didn't realize it wasn't supposed to be compatible with WinMo 6.5 -- installed and worked perfectly.  Doesn't seem to be any slower than it was on my old Tilt.

But that's off-topic a bit.  Downloading and installing the hotfixes now -- finally!!!

104 of 128 (3,136 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2009 4:34:11 AM
(0)
Scholar

Is there a reason that fixes like these aren't automatically installed without users having to do anything?

I work in the IT field, and installing these updates isn't a problem for me. But I'm not sure the average user knows how to connect his phone to his PC, transfer the files to the phone, then find and run them on the phone.

Is there a reason that fixes like these aren't automatically installed without users having to do anything?

I work in the IT field, and installing these updates isn't a problem for me. But I'm not sure the average user knows how to connect his phone to his PC, transfer the files to the phone, then find and run them on the phone.

105 of 128 (3,116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2009 3:22:53 PM
(0)
Mentor
funny that you mention that parrot.  i am well versed technically and i think that i may have screwed myself.  i installed the sms fix before the caller id fix and now i get an error when attempting to run the caller id fix.  i am actually doing a hard reset now to see if that will fix my issue.  otherwise i will just settle for the sms fix.  the caller id issue was never that big of a deal to me anyway.
funny that you mention that parrot.  i am well versed technically and i think that i may have screwed myself.  i installed the sms fix before the caller id fix and now i get an error when attempting to run the caller id fix.  i am actually doing a hard reset now to see if that will fix my issue.  otherwise i will just settle for the sms fix.  the caller id issue was never that big of a deal to me anyway.

106 of 128 (2,987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2009 3:59:52 PM
(0)
Teacher
FYI:  I have had the phone lock up on me once after installing this fix (when sliding the keyboard out to send an SMS).  While it may be the original issue still isn't 100% fixed... it's at least 98% fixed and seems like a rare glitch now than something that will happen every day.
FYI:  I have had the phone lock up on me once after installing this fix (when sliding the keyboard out to send an SMS).  While it may be the original issue still isn't 100% fixed... it's at least 98% fixed and seems like a rare glitch now than something that will happen every day.

107 of 128 (2,983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2009 5:19:19 PM
(0)
Professor

gammite wrote:

This is interesting. I wonder if anyone else is getting this error too

gammite wrote:

This is interesting. I wonder if anyone else is getting this error too

108 of 128 (2,968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2009 11:10:14 PM
(0)
Mentor

guandalf:

the hard reset fixed my issue.  i was going to do a hard reset anyway to get my tilt just how i like it before doing another sprite backup.  i have been messing with the registry and other settings way too much.  so the reset wasn't that big of a deal for me.

i am not sure if this was a quirk on my phone or if this is a larger issue.  hopefully if anyone else has an issue they will report it.

guandalf:

the hard reset fixed my issue.  i was going to do a hard reset anyway to get my tilt just how i like it before doing another sprite backup.  i have been messing with the registry and other settings way too much.  so the reset wasn't that big of a deal for me.

i am not sure if this was a quirk on my phone or if this is a larger issue.  hopefully if anyone else has an issue they will report it.

109 of 128 (2,947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2009 9:28:57 PM
(0)
Contributor
I started with a new 8525 no issues, just a little slow, then a refurbished 8925/Tilt, issues of freezing with 3 or 4 phones, got upgraded through warranty to a Fuze had even more issues, screen flickering, freezing all the time, slow response, went through 8 Fuze phones through warranty. I finally convinced them to replace my phone through warranty to a Tilt 2 and this one doesn't have the screen flicker issue, but it likes to freeze quite often and becomes sluggish, it has the same processor as the Fuze, all they did was rehouse it in a fancier package. I became eligible for an upgrade pretty recently, and I can tell you this, I am never buying another htc product again. Except maybe for wired headsets, the headset went through the washing machine, and propane dryer, and it still works flawlessly. Another weird issue I get, when I clear the storage I get will get 10 sms messages from a weird number with msn, and yahoo on the id. They come very randomly. Oh, and if you want the IM clients on the Tilt 2 they tell you that you need to go to the mobile version of the websites, it seems their customer service reps need some phone education. If you go to mobile web, go to E-mail and friends, then to Mobile IM, it will pop up with a download with yahoo/msn/aim. I am shocked that AT&T is trying to give a demo away on their own app store, and Microsoft is trying to sell another one on their app store.
I started with a new 8525 no issues, just a little slow, then a refurbished 8925/Tilt, issues of freezing with 3 or 4 phones, got upgraded through warranty to a Fuze had even more issues, screen flickering, freezing all the time, slow response, went through 8 Fuze phones through warranty. I finally convinced them to replace my phone through warranty to a Tilt 2 and this one doesn't have the screen flicker issue, but it likes to freeze quite often and becomes sluggish, it has the same processor as the Fuze, all they did was rehouse it in a fancier package. I became eligible for an upgrade pretty recently, and I can tell you this, I am never buying another htc product again. Except maybe for wired headsets, the headset went through the washing machine, and propane dryer, and it still works flawlessly. Another weird issue I get, when I clear the storage I get will get 10 sms messages from a weird number with msn, and yahoo on the id. They come very randomly. Oh, and if you want the IM clients on the Tilt 2 they tell you that you need to go to the mobile version of the websites, it seems their customer service reps need some phone education. If you go to mobile web, go to E-mail and friends, then to Mobile IM, it will pop up with a download with yahoo/msn/aim. I am shocked that AT&T is trying to give a demo away on their own app store, and Microsoft is trying to sell another one on their app store.

110 of 128 (2,883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2010 10:18:38 AM
(0)
Contributor

If that were true, why do the technical specs on both the HTC and ATT websites say HSDPA 7.2 capable for the Pure and Tilt 2

ATT just finished upgrading software to support HSDPA 7.2 and has to increase backhaul connection capacity to facilitate full end to end bandwidth capacity

If that were true, why do the technical specs on both the HTC and ATT websites say HSDPA 7.2 capable for the Pure and Tilt 2

ATT just finished upgrading software to support HSDPA 7.2 and has to increase backhaul connection capacity to facilitate full end to end bandwidth capacity

Re: HSDPA 7.2 disabled?

111 of 128 (3,162 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2010 8:01:12 PM
(0)
Teacher
Just because something is technically capable doesn't mean it is enabled.
Just because something is technically capable doesn't mean it is enabled.

Re: HSDPA 7.2 disabled?

112 of 128 (3,124 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2010 11:02:27 AM
(0)
Former Moderator
Post moved to a thread of its own

113 of 128 (2,774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2010 8:38:18 AM
(0)
Contributor

My phone does something similar. After sending a few texts, or even just one, when I go to get out of the text message, (not the message program) the tom of the message is still visible where the inbox and received menus should be. I have the Tilt 2, and it has been doing this to me a lot recently. Sometimes it will lock up for 2 seconds, sometimes I have to just reset it for it to work. Is there any fix that anyone knows about? I don't care if its official with htc and att or not, I am tired of this happening. The thing is that the whole phone will lock up, I can hit the end button, home button, anything! And nothing will happen... Its really pissin me off because htc should know what they are doing by know and should have their act together so I have no idea what is going on with them. This only does this in the SMS application (not the touch flo 3D one) I hope Im not the only one with this problem and that someone can help me

My phone does something similar. After sending a few texts, or even just one, when I go to get out of the text message, (not the message program) the tom of the message is still visible where the inbox and received menus should be. I have the Tilt 2, and it has been doing this to me a lot recently. Sometimes it will lock up for 2 seconds, sometimes I have to just reset it for it to work. Is there any fix that anyone knows about? I don't care if its official with htc and att or not, I am tired of this happening. The thing is that the whole phone will lock up, I can hit the end button, home button, anything! And nothing will happen... Its really pissin me off because htc should know what they are doing by know and should have their act together so I have no idea what is going on with them. This only does this in the SMS application (not the touch flo 3D one) I hope Im not the only one with this problem and that someone can help me

Re: Pure - Freezes after sending texts!

114 of 128 (2,406 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2010 8:56:26 AM
(0)
Professor

pj174208 wrote:

It if you have not installed the hotfixes for this issue, that is more than likely what is causing your problem. Follow this link, and install the first two updates.

pj174208 wrote:

It if you have not installed the hotfixes for this issue, that is more than likely what is causing your problem. Follow this link, and install the first two updates.

115 of 128 (2,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2010 12:15:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

thank you, i have already installed the 2nt hot fix, but i will install the first and re install the 2nd, thank you

thank you, i have already installed the 2nt hot fix, but i will install the first and re install the 2nd, thank you

116 of 128 (2,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2010 12:26:23 PM
(0)
Professor

pj174208 wrote:

Let us know if it works out for you

pj174208 wrote:

Let us know if it works out for you

117 of 128 (2,374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2010 3:16:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have this same issue. I got my phone after my original Tilt shot craps and received the Tilt2 from the insurance policy. Now I've had this for a few months and it's getting REALLY quirky... Really thinking about asking for a new phone or a rebate on another!!!!!

I have this same issue. I got my phone after my original Tilt shot craps and received the Tilt2 from the insurance policy. Now I've had this for a few months and it's getting REALLY quirky... Really thinking about asking for a new phone or a rebate on another!!!!!

118 of 128 (1,997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 8:59:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

i cant do the hotfixes because i dont know what to do after i plug my tilt 2 into my computer Smiley Sad

i cant do the hotfixes because i dont know what to do after i plug my tilt 2 into my computer Smiley Sad

119 of 128 (1,736 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 5:05:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

waffles510 wrote:

Have you installed ActiveSync on you PC?  If not, then you need to do so.  Once you do, ActiveSync should show your phone as being connected to the PC.  Then just run the .exe hotfixes.

waffles510 wrote:

Have you installed ActiveSync on you PC?  If not, then you need to do so.  Once you do, ActiveSync should show your phone as being connected to the PC.  Then just run the .exe hotfixes.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

120 of 128 (1,718 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments