Pure/Tilt2- Freezes after sending texts!

Teacher

Pure/Tilt2- Freezes after sending texts!

[ Edited ]

Has anybody else experienced this problem?  It gives an error message regarding "shell32.exe". 

It just powered off and won't turn back on unless I do a hard reset.  Other times it has just frozen and I had to do a hard reset. 

NOT very happy about this, at all.

{Tilt2 added to subject line}

Message Edited by mod.moose on 11-03-2009 07:55:12 PM
Message 1 of 128 (9,427 Views)
Professor

Re: Pure - Freezes after sending texts!

27Hampton wrote:
I did that in my reply and mentioned that others were having the same issue and mentioned this board, but didn't supply the link.  Good idea though.  Dang it.  I replied 2 hours ago.

You can reply again and post the link
Message 31 of 128 (4,230 Views)
Teacher

Done.  We'll see.
Message 32 of 128 (4,214 Views)
Tutor

Hey guys, any luck on this? I just received my Pure today and am experiencing this issue and was lucky enough to find this forum posting.

Yeah, it appears to only be in landscape mode where it freezes while texting.

I'm inclinded to send the phone back and get an exchange to see if it's a bad batch of phones.

Thanks!

Message 33 of 128 (4,200 Views)
Teacher

I noticed this the first day I had the phone, and also found the solution: the problem is the SMS Sent notification. If the screen tries to rotate while the notification is on-screen, the phone locks up. To fix it? Disable the SMS sent notification (it's one of the first things I do on a new phone...I find it incredibly annoying when I'm having a text conversation).

It's a registry edit you have to make; Google something like "disable sms sent notification windows mobile" and you'll find it.

Message 34 of 128 (4,182 Views)
Scholar

Jut got this response to a complaint made to here  http://www.htc.com/us/cs_mail.aspx

Only third party stuff I have is GPS Test, Skyfire, Bing (which ATT/HTC recommend), Google Maps and aMaze GPS.  If I recall, problem existed before I installed this stuff. 

Hello Jim,

Thank you for contacting HTC Technical Assistance Center. I apologize for the length of time it took me to respond to your email. I understand how frustrating it can for your ATT Pure to freeze up when using the Text Messaging on your device. I would be more than happy to assist you with resolving this issue.

If there is any third party content or programming on your device, I would suggest removing the software that may be causing the issue on your device. Also delete the Text Messaging inbox on your device, as well as your sent items and drafts. Then perform a soft reset on your device by powering the device on and off. Once your device has powered back on the issue will be resolved. If not may have to perform a Hard Reset on the device. This operation will be deleted off the device back to factory settings. To reset the device Go to Start> Settings> System> Clear Storage> enter 1,2,3,4; Hit Yes. Once your device has restored the issue will be resolved.

Jim, Thank you for contacting HTC today I hope I have addressed all your needs and concerns today. If you need any further assistance please feel free to reply to my email. Check out
www.htc.com for any information about your device. Be sure to check out our online customer satisfaction survey located at http://survey.htc.com/worldwide and www.htcwiki.com.

Message 35 of 128 (4,156 Views)
Professor

Property33 wrote:

Jut got this response to a complaint made to here  http://www.htc.com/us/cs_mail.aspx

Only third party stuff I have is GPS Test, Skyfire, Bing (which ATT/HTC recommend), Google Maps and aMaze GPS.  If I recall, problem existed before I installed this stuff. 

Hello Jim,

Thank you for contacting HTC Technical Assistance Center. I apologize for the length of time it took me to respond to your email. I understand how frustrating it can for your ATT Pure to freeze up when using the Text Messaging on your device. I would be more than happy to assist you with resolving this issue.

If there is any third party content or programming on your device, I would suggest removing the software that may be causing the issue on your device. Also delete the Text Messaging inbox on your device, as well as your sent items and drafts. Then perform a soft reset on your device by powering the device on and off. Once your device has powered back on the issue will be resolved. If not may have to perform a Hard Reset on the device. This operation will be deleted off the device back to factory settings. To reset the device Go to Start> Settings> System> Clear Storage> enter 1,2,3,4; Hit Yes. Once your device has restored the issue will be resolved.

Jim, Thank you for contacting HTC today I hope I have addressed all your needs and concerns today. If you need any further assistance please feel free to reply to my email. Check out
www.htc.com for any information about your device. Be sure to check out our online customer satisfaction survey located at http://survey.htc.com/worldwide and www.htcwiki.com.

I would reply with a link to this thread. That reply is just a script without any attempt to resolve the issue. People have made hard resets and it still happens. In fact, it happened to me without any 3rd party app installed.
Message 36 of 128 (4,153 Views)
Teacher

I jumped ship today.  Swapped the Pure with the iPhone.
Message 37 of 128 (4,150 Views)
Tutor

Correct. I'm being sent a brand new phone since the issue could not be resolved.

But after reading this thread, I installed Resco Explorer to edit the registry. I didn't get a chance to try it before the new phone was ordered.

Anyways, it has not froze while texting in landscape mode ever since disabling the sent notification. That appears to be the issue.

But that sucks since this software is only a 7 day trial and I was having trouble finding another registry editor out there cost free.

Furthermore, we should not have to resort to such hacks. HTC needs a fix on this ASAP.

Message 38 of 128 (4,151 Views)
Scholar

That's what I'll probably do, is hack the reg.  May wait a bit to see if a fix comes out from HTC?/ATT. 

I'm pretty sure I had Resco Explorer on my old HP Ipaq, I think I probably still have the file on my desktop somewhere, I'd imagine I could probably get an upgrade w/o having to pay for it again.

Message 39 of 128 (4,144 Views)
Scholar

TenchiZ06 wrote:

Furthermore, we should not have to resort to such hacks. HTC needs a fix on this ASAP.

Well, HTC would first have to admit there is a problem, which by their respose, the are not and instead blaming it on 3rd party apps.  What is really frustrating is how something like this got by quality control.  I mean really, texting in landscape was never tested?

Message 40 of 128 (4,139 Views)
Professor

Here is the answer I got from them. Seems similar to the one every one else did. I also posted my reply back to their answer:

Their reply:

I understand how frustrating it can be when your device does not function as expected. You should be able to clear the notification by tapping the notification area and tapping on clear notifications. As for the freezing issue, I assume that the device is either freezing entirely, or getting stuck in landscape mode. In either event, I recommend first clearing your browser cache and cookies, just to ensure that it is not an available memory issue. You can do this by launching the browser, opening the menu, and tapping settings. Once in settings, tap security to expand the menu, then tap the clear buttons to remove the browser cache. I recommend doing this on a regular basis depending on how much you use the device to browse the web. If clearing the cache does not correct the issue, then the next step is to uninstall any third party software, if any. If there is no third party software, or uninstalling it does not correct the issue, then the only step we have left is a factory reset. This reset does delete all data stored on the device, so please be sure to back up your critical information before proceeding. To perform a factory reset, conduct the following steps: 1. With the device turned off, press and hold the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons, then briefly press the Power button. 2. Continue pressing the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons until you see this message on the screen: This operation will delete all your personal data, and reset all settings to manufacturer default. Press VolUp to restore manufacturer default, or press other keys to cancel. 3. Release the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons. 4. Press the Volume Up button to perform the hard reset, or press any other button to cancel the reset. If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact us again or check www.htcwiki.com as well. We also invite you to participate in our feedback survey at survey.htc.com/worldwide. We enjoy getting feedback from our customers and look forward to hearing from you. Best regards, Joseph

My reply to the above:

Hi Joseph, I do not believe you understand how frustrating this could be, as if you did, you would try to address the issue, instead of sending me a scripted answer, that has been given to everyone who has reported this issue on the AT&T forum. If you look at this thread http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=cingular&thread.id=121803 you will see that the same answer I was given, was given to everyone else!

Now lets examine your answer in further detail:

1) "As for the freezing issue, I assume that the device is either freezing entirely, or getting stuck in landscape mode. In either event, I recommend first clearing your browser cache and cookies, just to ensure that it is not an available memory issue. You can do this by launching the browser, opening the menu, and tapping settings. Once in settings, tap security to expand the menu, then tap the clear buttons to remove the browser cache. I recommend doing this on a regular basis depending on how much you use the device to browse the web"

My answer - The freezing happens when you type in landscape mode and after sending the message , what happens is that the screen automatically turns to portrait mode, back to landscape, and then the "message sent" pop up notification (not the one at the top) gets the device to freeze. In order to resolve the issue, users have discovered that a simple registry hack which disables the notification, resolves this issue! Obviously, this proves that the freezing is related to the notification, and not to any other rediculous claim, like 3rd party software. Aditionally, I thought the Pure was a device for browsing too! If HTC recommends to clear the cache, why don't you mention it in the manual? Furthermore, I find it surprising that a device that is supposed to be at the forefront of PDA technology has such a peculiar requirement. Do you really expect to compete successfully with Blackberries, iPhones, and various Android devices, with a device that requires cache clearing on regular basis?! I think, both, you and I , know the answer to that. The truth is, it has nothing to do with clearing the cache, it is just a glitch in the ROM, as I already proved above. The fact that this only occurs on Pures and not Tilt 2's also proves my point!

2)If clearing the cache does not correct the issue, then the next step is to uninstall any third party software, if any.

My answer - No there is no 3rd party software

3) If there is no third party software, or uninstalling it does not correct the issue, then the only step we have left is a factory reset.

My answer - What in my original email to you, made you believe that I did not try this step before contacting you? Was it just a wrong assumption or just part of the scripted answer all Pure users with this issue are being given? If you take the time to look at the thread I included in my message, you would see that not only me, but others who have hard reset their phones, kept experiencing this issue.

Finally, Joseph, I hope that the next reply I receive tries to address to problem, and offers a little more technical insight into the issue, rather than a scripted answer. Saying HTC is aware of the issue and is looking into it, would be much more appreciated than "conduct a hard reset". Many customers (including me) have been with HTC for years now. I believe our custom deserves more! Thank you and I looked forward to hearing from you

Message 41 of 128 (3,933 Views)
Teacher

Very nice guandalf.  Get 'em!!!!!! lol 

Quick, off-topic funny story, after all this and after swapping the Pure for the iPhone, I find out that the company I start with on Monday gives employees a Blackberry and won't let me use my iPhone!!  I was livid!!!!  So as to not lose my 'gold' number that I've had for 16 years that everybody in creation has...it looks like I'll have to carry two phones and pay the $100/mo which I wouldn't have to do if they would just allow me to use my own phone.  Ugh. Smiley Sad

Message 42 of 128 (3,931 Views)
Professor

27Hampton wrote:

Very nice guandalf.  Get 'em!!!!!! lol 

Quick, off-topic funny story, after all this and after swapping the Pure for the iPhone, I find out that the company I start with on Monday gives employees a Blackberry and won't let me use my iPhone!!  I was livid!!!!  So as to not lose my 'gold' number that I've had for 16 years that everybody in creation has...it looks like I'll have to carry two phones and pay the $100/mo which I wouldn't have to do if they would just allow me to use my own phone.  Ugh. Smiley Sad

It is one of the perks of owning an iPhone! lol
Message 43 of 128 (3,917 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Again, guys...this has fixed the issue for every person I have suggested it to:

Using a registry editor (CeRegEditor and PHM Registry Editor are two freeware options), navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings\ and modify the String Value key SMSNoSentMsg.  Change it from to 1.

The problem seems to be when the phone switches from landscape to portrait mode while displaying a notification message.  I find the "SMS Sent" notification extremely annoying while I'm texting and always disable it anyway.

EDIT: I uploaded a .cab file that will do this for you, no need to download or install any registry editors.  Just install the .cab file from this sharebee link, run it on your phone, reboot and experience crash-free texting.  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by thejohnus on 10-29-2009 05:10:40 PM
Message 44 of 128 (3,863 Views)
Professor

thejohnus wrote:

Again, guys...this has fixed the issue for every person I have suggested it to:

Using a registry editor (CeRegEditor and PHM Registry Editor are two freeware options), navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings\ and modify the String Value key SMSNoSentMsg.  Change it from to 1.

The problem seems to be when the phone switches from landscape to portrait mode while displaying a notification message.  I find the "SMS Sent" notification extremely annoying while I'm texting and always disable it anyway.

EDIT: I uploaded a .cab file that will do this for you, no need to download or install any registry editors.  Just install the .cab file from this sharebee link, run it on your phone, reboot and experience crash-free texting.  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by thejohnus on 10-29-2009 05:10:40 PM

Thanks for putting the time into it! I think I will send HTC a link to your cab file. LOL. While I agree your solution will resolve this issue, it is the principle of making HTC admit, there is an issue and fixing it. Don't forget the majority of PDA users are not technical to install cabs or hack the phone. They just want (and rightfully so) a phone that works.
Message 45 of 128 (3,849 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.