Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 17, 2009
6:37:44 PM
View profile
Pure/Tilt2- Freezes after sending texts!
Edited by mod.moose on Nov 3, 2009 at 7:55:12 PM

Has anybody else experienced this problem?  It gives an error message regarding "shell32.exe". 

It just powered off and won't turn back on unless I do a hard reset.  Other times it has just frozen and I had to do a hard reset. 

NOT very happy about this, at all.

{Tilt2 added to subject line}

Message Edited by mod.moose on 11-03-2009 07:55:12 PM

Has anybody else experienced this problem?  It gives an error message regarding "shell32.exe". 

It just powered off and won't turn back on unless I do a hard reset.  Other times it has just frozen and I had to do a hard reset. 

NOT very happy about this, at all.

{Tilt2 added to subject line}

Message Edited by mod.moose on 11-03-2009 07:55:12 PM

Pure/Tilt2- Freezes after sending texts!

[ Edited ]
127 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(127)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2009 8:30:52 AM
(0)
Teacher

Nobody else huh?  I guess it's my phone. Great.

It happens 90% of the time I send a text.  If I send more than one in a span of a few minutes, it's a given that the screen will freeze in one form or fashion.  I use it in landscape mode when typing and it automatically flips back to vertical, then again to landscape after I sent the text.  That's what seems to be causing the phone to freak out.  

Dang it.

It happens 90% of the time I send a text.  If I send more than one in a span of a few minutes, it's a given that the screen will freeze in one form or fashion.  I use it in landscape mode when typing and it automatically flips back to vertical, then again to landscape after I sent the text.  That's what seems to be causing the phone to freak out.  

Dang it.

Re: Pure - Freezes after sending texts!

2 of 128 (9,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2009 8:34:25 AM
(0)
Scholar
It has frozen on me too...  not sure of the steps that caused it but it was while texting...
It has frozen on me too...  not sure of the steps that caused it but it was while texting...

3 of 128 (9,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2009 5:50:36 PM
(0)
Professor

27Hampton wrote:

Dang it.

It happened to me a few times too. Seems to be a bug in the ROM

27Hampton wrote:

Dang it.

It happened to me a few times too. Seems to be a bug in the ROM

4 of 128 (9,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2009 7:28:06 PM
(0)
Teacher
It's really bummin' me out.  I do quite a bit of texting.  Since I just got the phone a week ago, I'm considering sending it back and dropping an additional $150 on the Tilt2.  Smiley Sad  Even though I have a problem spending so much on a phone since I'll want another one in 12 to 18 months.
It's really bummin' me out.  I do quite a bit of texting.  Since I just got the phone a week ago, I'm considering sending it back and dropping an additional $150 on the Tilt2.  Smiley Sad  Even though I have a problem spending so much on a phone since I'll want another one in 12 to 18 months.

5 of 128 (9,207 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2009 7:52:21 PM
(0)
Professor

27Hampton wrote:

This has been documented on the Tilt 2 if using the on screen keyboard.

27Hampton wrote:

This has been documented on the Tilt 2 if using the on screen keyboard.

6 of 128 (9,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2009 5:16:40 PM
(0)
Teacher

I've sent 12 texts today - phone froze 11 times!  This is just ridiculous.

Pardon the ignorance, but what does AT&T or HTC do about this, since it's obviously a ROM issue?  Are we SOL, or do you think they'll address it?  

I hate to sound whiney, but fact is...I've NEVER had this problem with my Blackberry.  In fact, I've never had texting issues with any phone I've owned.   Looks like I'll be on the phone for a few hours with them tomorrow and may have to get a different phone. 

Pardon the ignorance, but what does AT&T or HTC do about this, since it's obviously a ROM issue?  Are we SOL, or do you think they'll address it?  

I hate to sound whiney, but fact is...I've NEVER had this problem with my Blackberry.  In fact, I've never had texting issues with any phone I've owned.   Looks like I'll be on the phone for a few hours with them tomorrow and may have to get a different phone. 

7 of 128 (9,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2009 5:36:51 PM
(0)
Professor

27Hampton wrote:

Go to HTC support and open a support ticket. I have done so. If enough people will do so, they will realize there is an issue and will release an update. It is still though beyond me, how such a bug gets passed QA.

27Hampton wrote:

Go to HTC support and open a support ticket. I have done so. If enough people will do so, they will realize there is an issue and will release an update. It is still though beyond me, how such a bug gets passed QA.

8 of 128 (9,157 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2009 5:47:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

Well...it's not as if Texting is popular.  Smiley Mad

I'll do that over at HTC.  Thanks.

9 of 128 (9,154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2009 6:35:30 PM
(0)
Professor

27Hampton wrote:

I'm also hoping the Mods are taking note and relaying it to relevant people in mgt.

27Hampton wrote:

I'm also hoping the Mods are taking note and relaying it to relevant people in mgt.

10 of 128 (9,142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2009 6:39:34 PM
(0)
Professor
Another annoying bug relating to text messages on the Pure, is that after a while the message sent notification doesn't come up when you send a text, and then in order to clear the icon of the sent message in the status bar, you have to touch the status bar and clear notifications. This leads me to believe that it is an issue with TF3D, and if you use Titanium, neither bug will show up, but I have not tested it.
Another annoying bug relating to text messages on the Pure, is that after a while the message sent notification doesn't come up when you send a text, and then in order to clear the icon of the sent message in the status bar, you have to touch the status bar and clear notifications. This leads me to believe that it is an issue with TF3D, and if you use Titanium, neither bug will show up, but I have not tested it.

11 of 128 (3,706 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2009 6:41:58 PM
(0)
Teacher
Yes, I was hoping the same thing.  I'll probably put in a call to AT&T tomorrow as well.  Just to log it in the system and take my frustrations out on some poor customer service rep just trying to do their job.
Yes, I was hoping the same thing.  I'll probably put in a call to AT&T tomorrow as well.  Just to log it in the system and take my frustrations out on some poor customer service rep just trying to do their job.

12 of 128 (3,704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2009 6:48:03 PM
(0)
Teacher

guandalf wrote:

I don't think I've experience that, but I did think that the message sent notification was the problem to begin with since sometimes it shows up and other times it doesn't.  Other times it freezes when that notification is on the screen. 

I did receive another error msg in addition to the one I noted in an earlier post, but I didn't make a note of it.  I will next time. 

When I reply to texts, I never use TF3D because I like to type in landscape mode. I don't turn it off, I just don't reply in TF3D.  Would that mean that it's not necessarily a TF3D issue in your opinion?

guandalf wrote:

I don't think I've experience that, but I did think that the message sent notification was the problem to begin with since sometimes it shows up and other times it doesn't.  Other times it freezes when that notification is on the screen. 

I did receive another error msg in addition to the one I noted in an earlier post, but I didn't make a note of it.  I will next time. 

When I reply to texts, I never use TF3D because I like to type in landscape mode. I don't turn it off, I just don't reply in TF3D.  Would that mean that it's not necessarily a TF3D issue in your opinion?

13 of 128 (3,699 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2009 6:50:39 PM
(0)
Professor

27Hampton wrote:

guandalf wrote:

What I meant was, I dont think this would happen if you used Titanium, i.e. TF3D turned off and Titanium (Windows Default) turned on.

27Hampton wrote:

guandalf wrote:

What I meant was, I dont think this would happen if you used Titanium, i.e. TF3D turned off and Titanium (Windows Default) turned on.

14 of 128 (3,696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2009 6:53:50 PM
(0)
Teacher

Gotcha, understood.

I think I've uncovered problem #1.  HTC doesn't recognize the Pure on their support site! lol  Which phone did you choose to open the ticket?  Sorry for all the questions. 

Gotcha, understood.

I think I've uncovered problem #1.  HTC doesn't recognize the Pure on their support site! lol  Which phone did you choose to open the ticket?  Sorry for all the questions. 

15 of 128 (3,693 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2009 6:57:31 PM
(0)
Professor

27Hampton wrote:

Gotcha, understood.

Ofcourse they do. Here is the link to it.

27Hampton wrote:

Gotcha, understood.

16 of 128 (3,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2009 7:04:18 PM
(0)
Teacher

guandalf wrote:

27Hampton wrote:

Gotcha, understood.

Hmmmm...this is where I was looking.

Don't mind me. lol  Thanks again! 

guandalf wrote:

27Hampton wrote:

Gotcha, understood.

17 of 128 (3,689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2009 7:08:24 PM
(0)
Professor

27Hampton wrote:

guandalf wrote:

27Hampton wrote:

Gotcha, understood.

No probs. You should have gone to their US site, instead of their world wide one that features their own brand only.

27Hampton wrote:

guandalf wrote:

27Hampton wrote:

Gotcha, understood.

No probs. You should have gone to their US site, instead of their world wide one that features their own brand only.

18 of 128 (3,688 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2009 11:49:49 PM
(0)
Professor

27Hampton wrote:

guandalf wrote:

27Hampton wrote:

Gotcha, understood.

Was just wondering if you heard back from HTC?Smiley Surprised Based on my experience, they usually get back within 24-48 hours, but this time I have heard nothing back, which leads me to believe that they are investigating this, and probably found an issue. I hope they get back to me soon. If not, I'll try them again.

27Hampton wrote:

guandalf wrote:

27Hampton wrote:

Gotcha, understood.

Was just wondering if you heard back from HTC?Smiley Surprised Based on my experience, they usually get back within 24-48 hours, but this time I have heard nothing back, which leads me to believe that they are investigating this, and probably found an issue. I hope they get back to me soon. If not, I'll try them again.

19 of 128 (3,611 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2009 8:23:38 AM
(0)
Teacher
Not a word.  I'm going to try back as well.  In fact, I'll probably do it today. 
Not a word.  I'm going to try back as well.  In fact, I'll probably do it today. 

20 of 128 (3,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2009 7:00:00 PM
(0)
Teacher

Have you heard back from HTC?  I haven't.

This phone is absolutely useless for texts.  I regret buying this phone at this point. 

This phone is absolutely useless for texts.  I regret buying this phone at this point. 

21 of 128 (3,361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2009 7:11:59 PM
(0)
Professor

27Hampton wrote:

Have not heard from them. I am going to create another trouble ticket with them now, and then follow up with a phone call. I have used their support many times, and usually they get back within 24 hours. This shows to me that they recognize the issue.

27Hampton wrote:

Have not heard from them. I am going to create another trouble ticket with them now, and then follow up with a phone call. I have used their support many times, and usually they get back within 24 hours. This shows to me that they recognize the issue.

22 of 128 (3,359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2009 2:27:10 PM
(0)
Teacher

So, HTC sent me what seemed to be a stock email.  Basically telling me to:

check the memory (it's fine). 

Delete any third party apps (I have no third party apps). 

Do a soft reset (I've done it at least 20 times due to the phone freezing up)

Do a hard reset back to factory specs (I haven't done that yet, but since others are experience the same issue, I don't understand how it could be an indivual hardware issue). 

If none of these acts fix the problem....call AT&T.  As if they're going to do anything for me. 

So basically, they were no help whatsoever.  Pardon the frustration in my posts, but this has really soured me to HTC and it's my second HTC phone.  Second and last. 

So, HTC sent me what seemed to be a stock email.  Basically telling me to:

check the memory (it's fine). 

Delete any third party apps (I have no third party apps). 

Do a soft reset (I've done it at least 20 times due to the phone freezing up)

Do a hard reset back to factory specs (I haven't done that yet, but since others are experience the same issue, I don't understand how it could be an indivual hardware issue). 

If none of these acts fix the problem....call AT&T.  As if they're going to do anything for me. 

So basically, they were no help whatsoever.  Pardon the frustration in my posts, but this has really soured me to HTC and it's my second HTC phone.  Second and last. 

23 of 128 (3,327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2009 2:36:34 PM
(0)
Scholar

Mine just froze again....while texting in landscape, not sure if landscape was the issue.  Had to use the soft re-set button..............

Mine just froze again....while texting in landscape, not sure if landscape was the issue.  Had to use the soft re-set button..............

24 of 128 (3,324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2009 2:54:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

I believe it is the issue, but I'm not sure.  I know it hasn't happened to me when using TF3D and I'm fairly certain it hasn't happened in 6.5 using it vertical (although I haven't tried it very often).  It's only when I use it in landscape mode. 

I'm going to the local corporate store tonight.  I might have to switch over to the iPhone, which I didn't want to do...but I text way too often and apparently there won't be a resolution to the problem. 

I believe it is the issue, but I'm not sure.  I know it hasn't happened to me when using TF3D and I'm fairly certain it hasn't happened in 6.5 using it vertical (although I haven't tried it very often).  It's only when I use it in landscape mode. 

I'm going to the local corporate store tonight.  I might have to switch over to the iPhone, which I didn't want to do...but I text way too often and apparently there won't be a resolution to the problem. 

25 of 128 (3,317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2009 3:55:34 PM
(0)
Professor

27Hampton wrote:

If you keep the phone in portrait mode, I noticed that it doesn't happen. I would also open a trouble ticket at HTC support.

27Hampton wrote:

If you keep the phone in portrait mode, I noticed that it doesn't happen. I would also open a trouble ticket at HTC support.

26 of 128 (3,300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2009 4:34:24 PM
(0)
Teacher

I did open a ticket at HTC, I posted above that I just received an email from them after 2 weeks.

I'm probably switching to the iPhone tomorrow. Smiley Sad

I did open a ticket at HTC, I posted above that I just received an email from them after 2 weeks.

27 of 128 (3,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2009 4:39:23 PM
(0)
Professor

27Hampton wrote:

Oh, I just saw that. Reply to their answer and say, that many of us are having this issue, and place a link to this thread in your answer. This is what I have done, but I have not heard from them yet, which leads me to believe they are looking into it.

27Hampton wrote:

Oh, I just saw that. Reply to their answer and say, that many of us are having this issue, and place a link to this thread in your answer. This is what I have done, but I have not heard from them yet, which leads me to believe they are looking into it.

28 of 128 (3,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2009 4:41:19 PM
(0)
Teacher
I did that in my reply and mentioned that others were having the same issue and mentioned this board, but didn't supply the link.  Good idea though.  Dang it.  I replied 2 hours ago.
I did that in my reply and mentioned that others were having the same issue and mentioned this board, but didn't supply the link.  Good idea though.  Dang it.  I replied 2 hours ago.

29 of 128 (3,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2009 4:47:26 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Property33 on Oct 26, 2009 at 4:55:11 PM

I'll bet others are having this issue, can't be just 3 people, probably in varied parts of the country.  I wonder if it's an issue with ALL Pures, or maybe the lot where ours came from.....  I would imagine a software fix would fix an issue like this.  I can't imagine it's a hardware issue.  I'll check with one of the other users on our account that got a Pure at the same time & see if they've noticed a problem.  They're a heavy texter so if it's an issue with their phone too, I'm sure it would be noticeable.

Just checked.  The other user has not had the lock-up problem that we're talking about.  I ordered both phones at the same time, they were delivered together so I assume they would've come from the same lot.

Message Edited by Property33 on 10-26-2009 04:55:11 PM

I'll bet others are having this issue, can't be just 3 people, probably in varied parts of the country.  I wonder if it's an issue with ALL Pures, or maybe the lot where ours came from.....  I would imagine a software fix would fix an issue like this.  I can't imagine it's a hardware issue.  I'll check with one of the other users on our account that got a Pure at the same time & see if they've noticed a problem.  They're a heavy texter so if it's an issue with their phone too, I'm sure it would be noticeable.

Just checked.  The other user has not had the lock-up problem that we're talking about.  I ordered both phones at the same time, they were delivered together so I assume they would've come from the same lot.

Message Edited by Property33 on 10-26-2009 04:55:11 PM

[ Edited ]
30 of 128 (3,296 Views)