Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 16, 2011
8:36:23 PM
View profile
Purchase MicroCell?

Holding back for a moment those who I have read reviews from saying do not be interested, how in the heck do you find out where or how to purchase and rates/costs, etc?  I have searched the site somewhat thoroughly and nothing comes back using their search but support relating information and links.  I live in the SW burbs of Chicago if that matters.  Thanks!!

Holding back for a moment those who I have read reviews from saying do not be interested, how in the heck do you find out where or how to purchase and rates/costs, etc?  I have searched the site somewhat thoroughly and nothing comes back using their search but support relating information and links.  I live in the SW burbs of Chicago if that matters.  Thanks!!

Purchase MicroCell?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2011 8:42:27 PM
(0)
Guru

You can buy the Microcell from your local AT&T store. They retail for $199, but depending on the phase of the moon you may be able to get a better deal. There is no monthly cost, but if you choose, you can opt-in to the unlimited calling feature, where all calls you make over a Microcell (any microcell - not just yours) are unlimited.

As for support, AT&T's support for the Microcell is abominably bad. Their attitude is that the Microcell will either work properly for you or it won't. If it doesn't, then it sucks to be you.

You can buy the Microcell from your local AT&T store. They retail for $199, but depending on the phase of the moon you may be able to get a better deal. There is no monthly cost, but if you choose, you can opt-in to the unlimited calling feature, where all calls you make over a Microcell (any microcell - not just yours) are unlimited.

As for support, AT&T's support for the Microcell is abominably bad. Their attitude is that the Microcell will either work properly for you or it won't. If it doesn't, then it sucks to be you.

Re: Purchase MicroCell?

2 of 7 (5,339 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2011 8:46:33 PM
(0)
Tutor
ebay HAS LOTS OF THEM, PROBABLY FROM GUYS LIKE ME THAT CAN'T GET THEM TO WORK.
ebay HAS LOTS OF THEM, PROBABLY FROM GUYS LIKE ME THAT CAN'T GET THEM TO WORK.

3 of 7 (5,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 5:35:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

My suggestion would be to give it a try, but keep the receipt and packaging handy - it can be returned for refund within 30 days.

I returned mine. The reasons:

Call delay. Often took 20-30 seconds before the call went through and sometimes it would just fail. I considered this a dangerous situation if there were ever an emergency.

Switching. I usually get only 1 bar of coverage inside my house. However, often my iPhone would be connected to the AT&T network instead of the Microcell. The only solution was to put the iPHone and and out of airplane mode, which would usually force it to the Microcell network.

Call quality. People on the other end still mentioned that my conversation would break up here and there.

For $199 AND the fact that AT&T uses MY broadband to take pressure off it's network combined with the above was just too much in the end.

My suggestion would be to give it a try, but keep the receipt and packaging handy - it can be returned for refund within 30 days.

I returned mine. The reasons:

Call delay. Often took 20-30 seconds before the call went through and sometimes it would just fail. I considered this a dangerous situation if there were ever an emergency.

Switching. I usually get only 1 bar of coverage inside my house. However, often my iPhone would be connected to the AT&T network instead of the Microcell. The only solution was to put the iPHone and and out of airplane mode, which would usually force it to the Microcell network.

Call quality. People on the other end still mentioned that my conversation would break up here and there.

For $199 AND the fact that AT&T uses MY broadband to take pressure off it's network combined with the above was just too much in the end.

4 of 7 (5,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 9:07:33 AM
(0)
Guru
I would say that if your phones are not iPhones, you should be more willing to give it a try. In my experiments, I've seen dramatically better behavior on non-Apple phones.

People have reported AT&T telling them a fix is pending for this, but AT&T lies so much it's hard to put any faith in such reports. I'll believe it if it ever happens.
I would say that if your phones are not iPhones, you should be more willing to give it a try. In my experiments, I've seen dramatically better behavior on non-Apple phones.

People have reported AT&T telling them a fix is pending for this, but AT&T lies so much it's hard to put any faith in such reports. I'll believe it if it ever happens.

5 of 7 (5,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2011 10:10:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you all and I do appreciate the cautionary suggestions.  Since I am cell-only at home and in an remote area where I believe there is only one main tower for ATT, should it fail I would be to connect via internet via microcell however by cost, performance, and purpose, magicjack is probably better back-up solution.

Thank you all and I do appreciate the cautionary suggestions.  Since I am cell-only at home and in an remote area where I believe there is only one main tower for ATT, should it fail I would be to connect via internet via microcell however by cost, performance, and purpose, magicjack is probably better back-up solution.

6 of 7 (5,202 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2011 1:58:40 PM
(0)
Professor

I would avoid buying them on ebay.  If the microcell was ever activated, it must be deactivated by the original owner before being activated by you.  I got one on ebay and had a very hard time getting the seller to deactivate the microcell on thier end so I could activate it.  And if they were to have bought it from someone else, it may not even be possible.  You will not save much by buying on ebay, and it might not be worth the trouble.

I would avoid buying them on ebay.  If the microcell was ever activated, it must be deactivated by the original owner before being activated by you.  I got one on ebay and had a very hard time getting the seller to deactivate the microcell on thier end so I could activate it.  And if they were to have bought it from someone else, it may not even be possible.  You will not save much by buying on ebay, and it might not be worth the trouble.

7 of 7 (5,146 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments