Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 16, 2011
3:16:22 PM
View profile
Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.
Edited by ilikewireless on Jul 16, 2011 at 3:19:55 PM

The question of why one would use a smartphone when a flip phone will work, is in the back of some people's mind. With that being said, I would like to open up a discussion thread just for the purpose of discussing pros and cons of smartphones vs basic phones.

The advantages of smartphones are:

1. In high demand - this eventually will drive down the per unit cost of manufacturing, leading to lower prices. For example compare the retail price of 3G Pantech Breeze II with 3G LG Thrive Gophone, a smartphone.
  2. Can run Apps - many apps don't require data connection. For example, My Tracks (Google), calculators and most games.
  3. Have a unique form factor - the touch screen.
  4. Have 3G (eventually 4G) radios with automatic switching from 3G to 2G. Some can be manually switched to 2G for improved voice calling & texting.
  5. Many have Wifi calling for when you are inside a building and you are nowhere near a window, especially inside steel reinforced high rises.
  6. It seems that with a 3G capable GoPhone, there's a larger coverage in the US than with a 2G GoPhone.

The disadvantages are:

1. Complexity and steep learning curve - some people may want just a basic flip phone.
  2. There's not yet a heavy duty smartphone. This may change in the future.
  3. Apps can drain battery fast.

What are your thoughts?

The question of why one would use a smartphone when a flip phone will work, is in the back of some people's mind. With that being said, I would like to open up a discussion thread just for the purpose of discussing pros and cons of smartphones vs basic phones.

The advantages of smartphones are:

1. In high demand - this eventually will drive down the per unit cost of manufacturing, leading to lower prices. For example compare the retail price of 3G Pantech Breeze II with 3G LG Thrive Gophone, a smartphone.
  2. Can run Apps - many apps don't require data connection. For example, My Tracks (Google), calculators and most games.
  3. Have a unique form factor - the touch screen.
  4. Have 3G (eventually 4G) radios with automatic switching from 3G to 2G. Some can be manually switched to 2G for improved voice calling & texting.
  5. Many have Wifi calling for when you are inside a building and you are nowhere near a window, especially inside steel reinforced high rises.
  6. It seems that with a 3G capable GoPhone, there's a larger coverage in the US than with a 2G GoPhone.

The disadvantages are:

1. Complexity and steep learning curve - some people may want just a basic flip phone.
  2. There's not yet a heavy duty smartphone. This may change in the future.
  3. Apps can drain battery fast.

What are your thoughts?

Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.

[ Edited ]
44 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(44)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2011 6:45:29 PM
(0)
Guru

Yeah, I kinda picked up on the whole research thing you've done Smiley Very Happy I think I read somewhere that after Ice Cream Sandwich Android is looking to streamline their releases a bit more or to try and get everone on the same page, or something to that effect. I have to think that the way things are going the device you'd want is not too distant in the future.

Yeah, I kinda picked up on the whole research thing you've done Smiley Very Happy I think I read somewhere that after Ice Cream Sandwich Android is looking to streamline their releases a bit more or to try and get everone on the same page, or something to that effect. I have to think that the way things are going the device you'd want is not too distant in the future.

Re: Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.

31 of 45 (544 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2011 12:49:49 PM
(0)
Professor

Razr8 wrote:

Thanks for the Ice Cream Sandwich Android tip, an interesting development to keep an eye on.

Razr8 wrote:

Thanks for the Ice Cream Sandwich Android tip, an interesting development to keep an eye on.

32 of 45 (526 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2011 8:45:01 PM
(0)
Guru

Your welcome!

Your welcome!

33 of 45 (519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2011 8:10:52 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have been debating on getting an android phone. I have a rugby 2 phone and a usb lightning for my laptop, its works great when I have 3g coverage but would like to just get the android and tether. But i have over 8000 rollover min built up and will probably loose them if i switch. The only reason i havent switched is because at&t does not have a rugged android touch screen like verizon. My phones have to be rugged ( last rugby got ran over by a forktruck it still worked but smashed the charging port, THAT SOLD ME) so at&t has till the end of the year to get a rugged android or I will leave for verizon. Just saw the galaxy xcover going to debut in Germany thats too bad because it would of kept me as an at&t customer, which I have been for over 8 years. DEAR AT&T, GET THE RUGGED ANDROID AND EXPAND YOUR 3G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been debating on getting an android phone. I have a rugby 2 phone and a usb lightning for my laptop, its works great when I have 3g coverage but would like to just get the android and tether. But i have over 8000 rollover min built up and will probably loose them if i switch. The only reason i havent switched is because at&t does not have a rugged android touch screen like verizon. My phones have to be rugged ( last rugby got ran over by a forktruck it still worked but smashed the charging port, THAT SOLD ME) so at&t has till the end of the year to get a rugged android or I will leave for verizon. Just saw the galaxy xcover going to debut in Germany thats too bad because it would of kept me as an at&t customer, which I have been for over 8 years. DEAR AT&T, GET THE RUGGED ANDROID AND EXPAND YOUR 3G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34 of 45 (482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2011 8:19:02 AM
(0)
Professor

cootr1968 wrote:

I'm interested in the rugged Verizon Android. Please name it so I can take a look too.

cootr1968 wrote:

I'm interested in the rugged Verizon Android. Please name it so I can take a look too.

35 of 45 (480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2011 8:40:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

Its made by casio in the gzone line. Commando i believe is the name.

36 of 45 (473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2011 8:49:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Aug 11, 2011 at 8:52:46 AM
You can check out the Pantech Crossover Android phone. With a somewhat rugged look, I think that it would fit the criteria of a rugged phone. I don't typically trust Pantech phones, though - especially for two years.

Link: http://m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://mobile.engadget.com/2011/06/07/pantech-crosso...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

You can check out the Pantech Crossover Android phone. With a somewhat rugged look, I think that it would fit the criteria of a rugged phone. I don't typically trust Pantech phones, though - especially for two years.

Link: http://m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://mobile.engadget.com/2011/06/07/pantech-crossover-review/&category=mobile&postPage=1

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
37 of 45 (467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2011 8:59:11 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Aug 11, 2011 at 8:59:45 AM

cootr1968 wrote:

Yeah. The Casio® G'zOne Commando™ at Verizon looks good. It's built to military specification.

cootr1968 wrote:

Yeah. The Casio® G'zOne Commando™ at Verizon looks good. It's built to military specification.

[ Edited ]
38 of 45 (460 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2011 9:02:21 AM
(0)
Professor

Wild Banchi wrote:

Link: http://m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://mobile.engadget.com/2011/06/07/pantech-crosso...

Looks rugged but not built rugged to military specification.

Wild Banchi wrote:

Link: http://m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://mobile.engadget.com/2011/06/07/pantech-crossover-review/&category=mobile&postPage=1

Looks rugged but not built rugged to military specification.

39 of 45 (456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2011 9:04:33 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by cootr1968 on Aug 11, 2011 at 9:07:15 AM

Yeah a friend has one (commando)

its tough!! It will be the phone that takes me away from at&t!!

[ Edited ]
40 of 45 (455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2011 9:12:45 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Aug 11, 2011 at 9:15:48 AM

cootr1968 wrote:

You found a treasure for some of us. Thank you for posting the info. Please come back to this forum to tell us how you like it.

cootr1968 wrote:

You found a treasure for some of us. Thank you for posting the info. Please come back to this forum to tell us how you like it.

[ Edited ]
41 of 45 (510 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2011 10:54:59 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Ann154 on Aug 11, 2011 at 11:01:22 AM
I have also used the Casio G'zOne Commando. Overall it is a nice phone and works for the person I know who uses it daily. It does have a few quirks though. Some issue with Facebook if I recall correctly.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
I have also used the Casio G'zOne Commando. Overall it is a nice phone and works for the person I know who uses it daily. It does have a few quirks though. Some issue with Facebook if I recall correctly.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

[ Edited ]
42 of 45 (498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2011 8:05:43 PM
(0)
Professor
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for sharing.

43 of 45 (474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2011 6:57:36 PM
(0)
Guru

Ilikewireless, here's something you might find interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur3QZQQ0TE4.

Ilikewireless, here's something you might find interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur3QZQQ0TE4.

44 of 45 (461 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2011 10:05:13 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Aug 14, 2011 at 10:07:13 PM

Razr8 wrote:

Interesting. The scores are:

•  Google's Androids dominate the smartphone market.
  •  Apple's iPads dominate the tablet market.

Both Google and Apple have their own followers. So they are going to be around for a long time, IMO. The good thing is that consumers benefit from market competition.

Razr8 wrote:

Interesting. The scores are:

•  Google's Androids dominate the smartphone market.
  •  Apple's iPads dominate the tablet market.

Both Google and Apple have their own followers. So they are going to be around for a long time, IMO. The good thing is that consumers benefit from market competition.

[ Edited ]
45 of 45 (454 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments