Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.

Professor

Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.

[ Edited ]

The question of why one would use a smartphone when a flip phone will work, is in the back of some people's mind. With that being said, I would like to open up a discussion thread just for the purpose of discussing pros and cons of smartphones vs basic phones.

 

The advantages of smartphones are:

  1. In high demand - this eventually will drive down the per unit cost of manufacturing, leading to lower prices. For example compare the retail price of 3G Pantech Breeze II with 3G LG Thrive Gophone, a smartphone.
  2. Can run Apps - many apps don't require data connection. For example, My Tracks (Google), calculators and most games.
  3. Have a unique form factor - the touch screen.
  4. Have 3G (eventually 4G) radios with automatic switching from 3G to 2G. Some can be manually switched to 2G for improved voice calling & texting.
  5. Many have Wifi calling for when you are inside a building and you are nowhere near a window, especially inside steel reinforced high rises.
  6. It seems that with a 3G capable GoPhone, there's a larger coverage in the US than with a 2G GoPhone.

The disadvantages are:

  1. Complexity and steep learning curve - some people may want just a basic flip phone.
  2. There's not yet a heavy duty smartphone. This may change in the future.
  3. Apps can drain battery fast.

What are your thoughts?

 

 

 

 

 

Message 1 of 45 (11,488 Views)
Guru

Re: Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.

Yeah, I kinda picked up on the whole research thing you've done Smiley Very Happy I think I read somewhere that after Ice Cream Sandwich Android is looking to streamline their releases a bit more or to try and get everone on the same page, or something to that effect. I have to think that the way things are going the device you'd want is not too distant in the future.

Message 31 of 45 (569 Views)
Professor

Re: Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.


Razr8 wrote:

Yeah, I kinda picked up on the whole research thing you've done Smiley Very Happy I think I read somewhere that after Ice Cream Sandwich Android is looking to streamline their releases a bit more or to try and get everone on the same page, or something to that effect. I have to think that the way things are going the device you'd want is not too distant in the future.


Thanks for the Ice Cream Sandwich Android tip, an interesting development to keep an eye on.

Message 32 of 45 (551 Views)
Guru

Re: Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.

Your welcome!

Message 33 of 45 (544 Views)
Tutor

Re: Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.

I have been debating on getting an android phone. I have a rugby 2 phone and a usb lightning for my laptop, its works great when I have 3g coverage but would like to just get the android and tether. But i have over 8000 rollover min built up and will probably loose them if i switch. The only reason i havent switched is because at&t does not have a rugged android touch screen like verizon. My phones have to be rugged ( last rugby got ran over by a forktruck it still worked but smashed the charging port, THAT SOLD ME) so at&t has till the end of the year to get a rugged android or I will leave for verizon. Just saw the galaxy xcover going to debut in Germany thats too bad because it would of kept me as an at&t customer, which I have been for over 8 years. DEAR AT&T, GET THE RUGGED ANDROID AND EXPAND YOUR 3G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 34 of 45 (507 Views)
Professor

Re: Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.


cootr1968 wrote:

I have been debating on getting an android phone. I have a rugby 2 phone and a usb lightning for my laptop, its works great when I have 3g coverage but would like to just get the android and tether. But i have over 8000 rollover min built up and will probably loose them if i switch. The only reason i havent switched is because at&t does not have a rugged android touch screen like verizon. My phones have to be rugged ( last rugby got ran over by a forktruck it still worked but smashed the charging port, THAT SOLD ME) so at&t has till the end of the year to get a rugged android or I will leave for verizon. Just saw the galaxy xcover going to debut in Germany thats too bad because it would of kept me as an at&t customer, which I have been for over 8 years. DEAR AT&T, GET THE RUGGED ANDROID AND EXPAND YOUR 3G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I'm interested in the rugged Verizon Android. Please name it so I can take a look too.

Message 35 of 45 (505 Views)
Tutor

Re: Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.

Its made by casio in the gzone line. Commando i believe is the name.

Message 36 of 45 (498 Views)
Master

Re: Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.

[ Edited ]
You can check out the Pantech Crossover Android phone. With a somewhat rugged look, I think that it would fit the criteria of a rugged phone. I don't typically trust Pantech phones, though - especially for two years.

Link: http://m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://mobile.engadget.com/2011/06/07/pantech-crosso...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 37 of 45 (492 Views)
Professor

Re: Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.

[ Edited ]

cootr1968 wrote:

Its made by casio in the gzone line. Commando i believe is the name.



Yeah. The Casio® G'zOne Commando™ at Verizon looks good. It's built to military specification.

Message 38 of 45 (485 Views)
Professor

Re: Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.


Wild Banchi wrote:
You can check out the Pantech Crossover Android phone. With a somewhat rugged look, I think that it would fit the criteria of a rugged phone. I don't typically trust Pantech phones, though - especially for two years.

Link: http://m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://mobile.engadget.com/2011/06/07/pantech-crosso...


Looks rugged but not built rugged to military specification.

Message 39 of 45 (481 Views)
Tutor

Re: Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.

[ Edited ]

Yeah a friend has one (commando)



 



Yeah. The Casio® G'zOne Commando™ at Verizon looks good. It's built to military specification.



 its tough!! It will be the phone that takes me away from at&t!!

Message 40 of 45 (480 Views)
Professor

Re: Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.

[ Edited ]

cootr1968 wrote:

Yeah a friend has one (commando)



 



Yeah. The Casio® G'zOne Commando™ at Verizon looks good. It's built to military specification.



 its tough!! It will be the phone that takes me away from at&t!!


You found a treasure for some of us. Thank you for posting the info. Please come back to this forum to tell us how you like it.

Message 41 of 45 (535 Views)
Master

Re: Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.

[ Edited ]
I have also used the Casio G'zOne Commando. Overall it is a nice phone and works for the person I know who uses it daily. It does have a few quirks though. Some issue with Facebook if I recall correctly.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 42 of 45 (523 Views)
Professor

Re: Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.

Thanks for sharing.
Message 43 of 45 (499 Views)
Guru

Re: Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.

Ilikewireless, here's something you might find interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur3QZQQ0TE4.

Message 44 of 45 (486 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Re: Pros and cons of using a smartphone when a basic flip phone will work.

[ Edited ]

Razr8 wrote:

Ilikewireless, here's something you might find interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur3QZQQ0TE4.


Interesting. The scores are:

 

  •  Google's Androids dominate the smartphone market.
  •  Apple's iPads dominate the tablet market.

Both Google and Apple have their own followers. So they are going to be around for a long time, IMO. The good thing is that consumers benefit from market competition.

 

Message 45 of 45 (479 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support