Helpful Links

Prorated billing explained

Guru

Prorated billing explained

I know prorated billing used to confuse me especially the first bill so I'll try to give an example that may make it easier to understand. Let's say you start new service where the bill cycle ends in 7 days. To estimate your first bill take the plan you are on ( lets use 39.99) rounded to 40 to make it easier. First take the price plan (40) each month and divide by 30 days. This gives you the minute cost per day of 1.33 each day. Then multiply this times the number of days in the cylce (our example is 7 days). 1.33 times 7 = $9.31

Then you have to add in the entire next month airtime of $40 since you basically pay a month in advance. So a first bill with just the $40 plan after a week when the bill cuts would be aprox 40+9.31+36 application fee if applicable. Total would be 85.31 plus taxes.

Text and data would be extra but hopefully this helps to explain why prorated bills are bigger than normal.

If my numbers are off feel free to correct.
Message 1 of 10
Guru

Re: Prorated billing explained

That's very interesting Mike, how'd you come up with that?

Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
Employee

This is exactly how it is figured, thanks for the post!
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 10
Former Community Manager

Great post!

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 10
Expert

We could use your help on the Uverse side! Smiley Wink

mikewho wrote:
I know prorated billing used to confuse me especially the first bill so I'll try to give an example that may make it easier to understand. Let's say you start new service where the bill cycle ends in 7 days. To estimate your first bill take the plan you are on ( lets use 39.99) rounded to 40 to make it easier. First take the price plan (40) each month and divide by 30 days. This gives you the minute cost per day of 1.33 each day. Then multiply this times the number of days in the cylce (our example is 7 days). 1.33 times 7 = $9.31

Then you have to add in the entire next month airtime of $40 since you basically pay a month in advance. So a first bill with just the $40 plan after a week when the bill cuts would be aprox 40+9.31+36 application fee if applicable. Total would be 85.31 plus taxes.

Text and data would be extra but hopefully this helps to explain why prorated bills are bigger than normal.

If my numbers are off feel free to correct.

Message 5 of 10
Guru

I'll swing by the uverse board. Maybe I'll write a post about how to calculate the first uverse bill since that prob confuses many customers too.
Message 6 of 10
Expert

Thanks, sometimes we just can't get through to them.  I have a particular post in mind, but it's now locked.  (ck. your PMs for reading; can't cross-post here)

Back on-topic. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 10
Scholar

good post op

Message 8 of 10
Tutor

If you leave ATT service before your billing cycle is over, how do you figure out what you owe?  If I pay a month in advance, do I owe anything or do they owe me?

Message 9 of 10
ACE - Expert

If you read the terms of service, AT&T will not prorate your last month's bill.
If you pay in advance and you leave before your cycle is over, you will owe nothing except any overages.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support